View Poll Results: loose tea or not loose tea that is the question
loose tea 30 60.00%
tea bags 14 28.00%
I just want to join in on the poll but dont like tea 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #46
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I stick my little finger out sometimes when drinking tea - it depends on the size and shape of the cup and also, more importantly, the size and shape of the handle. Too small a handle, and the finger goes out automatically, irregardless of what's actually in the cup...
Now? what was the name of that (60/70's) TV series where the Aliens could not bend their little finger when drinking from a cup? - the Aliens are here?

For me always loose tea made in a warmed teapot!!
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #47
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenieliser View Post
Do most of you make just one cup at a time or are you teapot people? I want to get a teapot with an infuser, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best one.
I like the Bodum tea presses, like their Assam one:

The holes in the centre column let the tea brew, then when it's strong enough you press the plunger so the leaves are squashed into the unperforated area which means the tea stops brewing (unlike trying to do it with a coffee press where the mesh plunger lets the tea continue to brew...)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #48
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If I am rushed on time I will go a tea bag, but if it's a calm cup of tea where someone else is also joining me, it HAS to be a pot. Tastes better imo. Just remember, 1 teaspoon per cup and 1 for the pot, turn the pot 5-6 times. Yum.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #49
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
When doing tea ceremony, a tea bag just feels out of place. It can be an interesting juxtaposition to have a tea bag in a gaiwan (not an uncommon sight in China though).

Probably half of my tea is reasonably good quality local loose-leaf. However, that stuff gets really expensive if you're gonna be a real snob about it (been there). I also have Lipton bag tea and even some St. Dalfour bags along with my TenRen cheap stuff.

I have some nice teaware for brewing traditional stuff, but I also sometimes just use a relatively cheap porcelain mug. For traveling in China and other countries in East Asia, you'll find that many people just toss some tea into the bottom of a thermos-like stainless steel or polycarbonate mug (oh no! bisphenol-A!) and refill it with hot water from any drinking water dispenser handy (drinking water dispensers almost always offer hot water @ 90-100C). I don't really recommend it, but it just goes to show that it's not exactly a revered mystical experience to most people.

Drink what you like, and don't force yourself to drink what you don't like just because some nerd thinks it represents cultural enlightenment or the hipster vegan at the organic food store says it's good for you and cites a Time Magazine article or something.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #50
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
Now? what was the name of that (60/70's) TV series where the Aliens could not bend their little finger when drinking from a cup? - the Aliens are here?

For me always loose tea made in a warmed teapot!!
The Invaders circa 1967

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invaders

columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #51
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I like the Bodum tea presses, like their Assam one:

The holes in the centre column let the tea brew, then when it's strong enough you press the plunger so the leaves are squashed into the unperforated area which means the tea stops brewing (unlike trying to do it with a coffee press where the mesh plunger lets the tea continue to brew...)
Thanks!
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #52
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Whilst in the US Army on a field exercise we discovered that the Mess Sergeant had forgotten the coffee filter and was using his socks. I'd prefer that coffee to tea.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #53
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Whilst in the US Army on a field exercise we discovered that the Mess Sergeant had forgotten the coffee filter and was using his socks. I'd prefer that coffee to tea.
Hot bean water, hot leaf water...what's the difference?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #54
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Hot bean water, hot leaf water...what's the difference?
One uses beans.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #55
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenieliser View Post
Do most of you make just one cup at a time or are you teapot people? I want to get a teapot with an infuser, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best one.
If you do get one that is big - the infuser that is. The tea leaves need room to grow.
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #56
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post

I only just noticed today that I stick my little finger out when I'm carrying a plastic cup. But that may also have had something to do with the waterbottle and mug of tea I was also carrying...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote