Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 09-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
nickus1030
nickus1030 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Server remote access

Hello,

I am a long time calibre user but i have never been able to get remote access to work for my library. I've already read and tried suggestions from the forum, internet, etc but nothing works. Any tips? i have an extensive library and want to be able to access it remotely since i am soon to begin traveling a lot for work. Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated.
nickus1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 05:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Assuming the Server is accessible IN HOUSE'

Yo need to 'Port Forward' the Calibre server port (the default is 8080 BUT I would really change that to somethin else in the 808x range to begin with.)
Port forwarding requires 2 things (for the setting). 1) the IP of your system (shows if you right click on the Globe with 3 balls icon) and the Port.

That gets set into your router (contact you Router maker, RTFM, or ISP (if it is theirs) on how to do that step. It differs all over the place.
Once that is done, all you need to know is the ROUTERS (outside) IP. (whatsmyIP.com) I only have a IPV6 according to that.

speedof.me does report the IPv4

Then when you are on another network (not using your router) <<<<<<
the address will be that IPv4 IP:808x x being the Calibre port setting you used
Set up a Calibre user Password in Sharing over the net.

Note: Your computer can not sleep (or it can't answer)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:18 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
. . .
Note: Your computer can not sleep (or it can't answer)
Been nearly 30 years since I used it - but would Wake on Wan work.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Been nearly 30 years since I used it - but would Wake on Wan work.

BR
wake on LAN

Not sure if The magic packet makes it thru the router. I thought it did not us TCP/IP
Old 09-10-2023, 09:19 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know it could be done way back when, two of my team set it up it for a group of global road warrior execs who worked for the investment arm of the bank. The network they were accessing was an TCP/IP network - the servers they used were OS/2 and Windows NT, the app they used was Lotus Notes.

I found this ==>> https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...n-wake-on-wan/

From what I can recall, that's more-or-less what my two guys did. It has to be a wired (Ethernet) LAN on the inside - i.e. no WIFI.

Don't know if it would work on a home network - our router was one of the Cisco rack mounted mini-fridge models.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-10-2023 at 09:23 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 09:55 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Mini Frig? that must be a small office version
I helped rack ones the took 4 guys to move with lifting straps.
Old 09-12-2023, 10:07 AM   #7
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Depending on your usage, you might want to consider a tunneling option like ngrok. ngrok now offers a single free static domain to free plan users which does makes things simpler (I have no connection to ngrok, just a long time user).

I've used it mainly on a short-term basis to allow external access to an internal machine. It certainly beats having to fiddle around with port-forwarding and other router config just to realise that your ISP has blocked the incoming port you wanted to use

For the simple use case of browsing and downloading books for offline reading, it works pretty well in my experience. I have not tried reading online though.
modified is offline   Reply With Quote