Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2023, 05:50 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
An integrated Goodreads update feature on Kindle would be so handy. It would not only save time but also create a seamless reading experience. Imagine your progress being automatically updated as you turn the pages.
That's something I'd love to see in future updates.
I would not want that. I don't track all reading activity in Goodreads, and don't want my Friends and followers to get spammed with continuous updates about reading progress.

Of course, they could do it 'in background' without creating posts, and only for things I tell it to mark for Goodreads. I guess that would be okay.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-14-2023 at 06:11 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:51 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would not want that. I don't track all reading activity in Goodreads, and don't want my Friends and followers to get spammed with continuous updates about reading progress.
And you'd have to keep your ereader always online. That's something I've never done.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:20 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And you'd have to keep your ereader always online. That's something I've never done.
It would just sync when the device does go online.

It would not need to be anything different on-device, sync service already forwards Goodreads posts, it could hit a separate API for location updates only.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:18 PM   #19
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
But when you use Share, it shows % complete. Are you saying that doesn't update Goodreads %? It does for me (I just verified it). You do not need to add any comments.

Of course this only works for purchased content.
You are correct! That worked! Thank you for that. When I checked it out before I just assumed it would update to "Currently Reading" as I saw that on the screen. I saw the percentage as well but incorrectly did not think it would update that as well.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:59 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
An integrated Goodreads update feature on Kindle would be so handy. It would not only save time but also create a seamless reading experience. Imagine your progress being automatically updated as you turn the pages.
That's something I'd love to see in future updates.
A feature I would immediately check on disabling. What I am reading and how fast I read it is not something I want posted on Goodreads or anywhere else.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:42 AM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A feature I would immediately check on disabling. What I am reading and how fast I read it is not something I want posted on Goodreads or anywhere else.
I misunderstood the 'ask' as well at first.

I believe OP wants % complete to auto-update, without having to create a GR Post that Friends and Followers are going to see in their feed.

Or at least that's my takeaway.

I don't particularly value posts from the people I Friend and Follow that just say "I'm 39% finished! I'm 41% finished!", so I don't want to generate posts like that myself.

Yet I like to go to my Currently-Reading list to see a snapshot of the books I've started reading and how I'm progressing with them all. But the only way to update reading progress there now is to Update (in the app or web site or via Kindle Share), which is not only clunky, but it is spam to people following me.

Hence the motivation for auto-update, at least If I'm reading something on Kindle platform, which mostly I am doing.

Of course anyone go to my page and see this if they care to, but it's not going to be construed as social communication, like actual posts are intended to be.

I think it would improve the experience for Goodreads users who aren't using Kindles as well, as they would no longer be subjected to nearly as much of this noise.

What are the chances of Goodreads making this change? Probably zero. The development team is not doing much more than keeping the lights on, and keeping the ads flowing smoothly.

It's entirely possible to make yourself invisible on Goodreads, and still use it to track your reading and read the reviews there.

But I like seeing updates from people I know IRL, or those whose reviews I enjoy reading, and imagining that that's reciprocal with my small following.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-15-2023 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #22
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I misunderstood the 'ask' as well at first.

I believe OP wants % complete to auto-update, without having to create a GR Post that Friends and Followers are going to see in their feed.

Or at least that's my takeaway.

I don't particularly value posts from the people I Friend and Follow that just say "I'm 39% finished! I'm 41% finished!", so I don't want to generate posts like that myself.
You are correct in what I was wanting. Fortunately a previous response helped me to realize it does do that. As for not wanting to spam people with percentage complete posts I can understand that. As for me, I have no friends (on goodreads ) so it isn't an issue.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:19 AM   #23
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
You know, with everyone NOT wanting wifi-enabled, but still desiring to sync, if e-readers had NFC then you could just wave one device over the other and update them individually.

or

If you had the app on your phone, and BT enabled on the reader, then pair the phone and your reader and they could synch that way. True, readers already have BT, but you can't pair to a phone... only speakers, from what I understand. So, that's not ideal.

Just a couple idears.
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:27 AM   #24
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.msla View Post
If you had the app on your phone, and BT enabled on the reader, then pair the phone and your reader and they could synch that way. True, readers already have BT, but you can't pair to a phone... only speakers, from what I understand. So, that's not ideal.

Just a couple idears.
Yeah, this sounds like an application tailor-made for BLE, which really does hardly use any power at all... of course despite the name BLE is almost totally different from Bluetooth, and probably no Kindle is physically capable of it.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I'd want Kindles to have the same software as Kobos, period. With the same customization options, patching options, editing the config file options, Calibre integration and so on.
One reader to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Seriously though, I wish B&N would do that.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:10 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One reader to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Seriously though, I wish B&N would do that.
Heh, true. I wouldn't mind B&N doing it either; they have some good hardware.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:38 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Heh, true. I wouldn't mind B&N doing it either; they have some good hardware.
Awful bezels.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 03:08 PM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Awful bezels.
Nope. They're very comfortable (without a cover, of course)
Old 06-15-2023, 03:40 PM   #29
TheSmitty
Addict

Quote:
Nope. They're very comfortable (without a cover, of course)
There is something to be said about having some bezels on your ereader. If they ever get as small or nonexistent as a smartphone then my thumb will be turning pages prematurely.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:42 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
There is something to be said about having some bezels on your ereader. If they ever get as small or nonexistent as a smartphone then my thumb will be turning pages prematurely.
There would be no way for people with smallish hands to hold an ereader with no bezels, as ereaders are considerably wider than an average smartphone.