Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-27-2023, 07:29 PM   #1261
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
In the states, Coca Cola seems to be a fad with every meal. Warren Buffett drinks several cans a day.
You extrapolate from Warren Buffett to some 330 million other Americans? This is the kind of gross generalization that gets my back up; it’s based on exactly what? Why not extrapolate from me instead? A Yank’s a Yank. I haven’t had a Coke in literally decades and the last one was probably a Diet Coke at that. And a cola drink with food is disgusting.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:46 PM   #1262
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
The trick to dieting is not eating the same item each day. In the states, Coca Cola seems to be a fad with every meal. Warren Buffett drinks several cans a day. I stop at one can every 3 days. It is better for your digestive system to drink seltzer or water. ...
Yes, unfortunately, pop at meals is very common. Not everybody does, can't even say the majority but it is very popular. Not just Coca Cola but Pepsi and others. I gave up pop as any kind of regular thing over a decade ago mostly due to cost. My sis, who drank 2-3 cans daily, gave it up after she had Covid. Her sense of smell has never really returned and pop and beer now either taste like nothing or taste vile. Saving her money anyway.

I personally think that the diet trick varies by the person. Chances are you are eating more than you think. So try writing down what and how much you eat every day for a couple of weeks. For me, it's portion sizes. My BIL lost 60 pounds over Covid (so not fair) primarily by giving up snacks in the afternoon. Bags of potato chips and such do add up - I wouldn't have thought that much, but there you go!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:52 PM   #1263
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You extrapolate from Warren Buffett to some 330 million other Americans? This is the kind of gross generalization that gets my back up; it’s based on exactly what? Why not extrapolate from me instead? A Yank’s a Yank. I haven’t had a Coke in literally decades and the last one was probably a Diet Coke at that. And a cola drink with food is disgusting.
It is actually beyond a fad. Very common for people in US to be drinking pop daily. Virtually every single order for an adult, outside of breakfast, at any fast food joint includes pop. You go to any family restaurant and the majority of adults also order pop. A fad doesn't mean everybody is doing it but a large portion of the population are. However, with the recent huge price increases, lots of people are no longer buying cases of it. Please note that my observations do not include those over 65.

Edited to add: As my Mom mentioned, a fad is also temporary. The huge increase in pop usage started in the 80s and never actually reduced until 2020 due to $$.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-28-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:27 AM   #1264
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
80.1kg this morning.

So - New Year's Resolution! 2023 is the year I finally get back down to 70kg!
76.7kg this morning. But that's the easy bit. The real test will be over the next couple of months.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:55 AM   #1265
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've lost 4 pounds in the past two weeks, hoping to keep it up. For me, portion control is key, and not eating "mindlessly." I've been walking 30 minutes 5 days a week, which helps as well. We have a family beach vacation planned for July, I'm hoping to improve my energy levels before then.

I have some friends who've recently dropped a lot of weight very quickly, pretty sure using an extreme low carb diet. It concerns me, and I've seen it before. The weight comes back as soon as they go back to "regular" eating. I watch my carbs, but no way I can eliminate them. The extreme fad diets never seen to give long lasting results. And some, like the Keto Diet, can be very bad for your overall health, especially for those of us over 60, and in the case of my friends, over 70.

Balance, moderation, move. That is my goal right now.

Adding, I don't care for soda/pop when eating, except when having pizza. Diet Coke or Pepsi, but can't drink more than a couple per month or the artificial sweeteners trigger my vertigo. I drink good RO water mostly. Plain iced tea in the summer, lightly sweetened with real sugar.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 02-01-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:46 PM   #1266
nellywilk
nellywilk began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am on GPS diet now - nog gluten, no potatoes, no sugar. Potato part turned out to be the most difficult one
nellywilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:47 AM   #1267
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hovered around 78kg the rest of that year and this year, but over-indulgence has lead me to 80.1kg this morning.

So - New Year's Resolution! 2023 is the year I finally get back down to 70kg!
Quote:
76.7kg this morning. But that's the easy bit. The real test will be over the next couple of months.
I've just read back over my past decade of dieting. I did get down to 70kg at one point. But not for long. I seem to be repeating the same things year after year - a bit of restraint, following by snacking, and over-indulgence during the Christmas holidays.

I suppose it is good that I haven't put on loads of weight over the past decade, but to get back to 70kg permanently I'm going to have to make some permanent changes.

I think I'm going to have to adopt a no-snacking way of life. If I just accept that snacks are never going to be a daily part of my life again, perhaps I can take the weight off and keep it off. If I learn to sit happily reading or watching telly without a snack, eventually I shouldn't miss it.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:12 AM   #1268
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I (finally) got serious about my weight in 2019. It's had its ups and downs, but so far I'm down about 25 pounds and a few inches around my waist.

I have at least 25 more pounds to go.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 03:05 AM   #1269
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
75.8kg this morning. Essentially no progress over February. I fear I'm falling back into my usual pattern through lack of will power.

I shall strive to make significant progress in March.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:44 PM   #1270
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My current diet is no wine, no sandwiches and it's going pretty well.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:33 PM   #1271
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
75.8kg this morning. Essentially no progress over February. I fear I'm falling back into my usual pattern through lack of will power.

I shall strive to make significant progress in March.
I didn't strive hard enough. No significant change during March. 76.0kg this morning.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:38 AM   #1272
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Perpetual carb avoidance and 6am gym visits keeps my previously 100kg (220lbs) frame at a far comfier 85kg (187ibs). I wish reading burned more calories.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:25 AM   #1273
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I didn't strive hard enough. No significant change during March. 76.0kg this morning.
And 77kg now. I really don't seem to have a handle on this. January was great, but I can't seem to sustain the effort.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:16 AM   #1274
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
And 77kg now. I really don't seem to have a handle on this. January was great, but I can't seem to sustain the effort.
Today's Birthday Cake might not help either!
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:28 AM   #1275
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Today's Birthday Cake might not help either!
True! Pain-au-chocolate for breakfast this morning.