Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Once a device has been connected/linked to Calibre, is there a way to reset it?

I think I chose the wrong profile for my Glowlight 3 and would like to switch to the other Nook profile, but am not sure if that is possible at this point.
I think you have the answer, but, just to be clear: The profile you select when setting up calibre is only used for conversions. It has absolutely no impact on anything else. All it is doing is setting the default "Output profile" on the "Page setup" of the conversion options. And all that does is set the maximum size of images during a conversion. Images, larger than this will be resized to fit and images that are smaller will not be changed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you click on the device dropdown when your Nooks are connected what do you see when you click on Configure this device?
Last response: I figured out how to adjust the save profile so the ePubs are no longer put into author folders. I don't understand why that works, but it does. I uploaded a few books to the Glowlight 3 and it seems to work better..
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #33
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Given that I use the screensaver directory, I seldom see a cover other than when I open a book and promptly skip over it. As for the lettterboxing or pillarboxing? I prefer it to some of the aspect ratio distortions I've seen. But then photography has been a hobby for a lot of decades so I may be more sensitive to ovals where circles should be as an example.
Photography is also one of my hobbies, as is video editing, and I'll admit I'm completely anal when it comes to correct aspect ratio in photos and any movie or TV show or video. And there the bands along the top or sides from letterboxing or pillarboxing are much preferable to any distortion or zooming in and I don't mind them at all. The bands are a nice solid black though on TV screens, but they're white on ereaders, which makes it that much worse for me (last time I checked at least). I only read fiction, so I've never had a circle on a cover image where I'd notice any distortion, I'd say 99% of my covers are not photos so I really don't notice a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalToblerone View Post
Basically the answer i needed. I just want the little book thumbnails in kobo's version of "my library" to all be uniform size and neat. So from what I got, just to clarify, is to have "upload covers" checked and "blsck and white" checked. Everything else is left alone. How do I select between epub and kepub sending in kobotouchextended?
Checking B&W just saves you some space on your reader, color images are usually larger in size, which is just wasted space since they're displayed only in B&W.

To send epub to your reader, you need to enable the plugin "KoboTouch (2.5.1) by David Forrester" under Plugins/Device interface plugins. To send kepub to your reader, disable the KoboTouch plugin, and enable the plugin "KoboTouchExtended (3.2.13) by JoelGoguen". You'll need to restart Calibre when switching between the 2 formats. The settings for each are pretty similar.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I only read fiction, so I've never had a circle on a cover image where I'd notice any distortion, I'd say 99% of my covers are not photos so I really don't notice a difference.
Even most photos you won't notice unless you are looking. Since I do read quite a few cook/cooking related books, you get quite a few pots & pans on the cover photos. An oval cast iron frying pan kinda hits you in the eye and that was direct from the publisher (near as I could tell they took a 3x4 image and resized it to 10x16).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
To send epub to your reader, you need to enable the plugin "KoboTouch (2.5.1) by David Forrester" under Plugins/Device interface plugins. To send kepub to your reader, disable the KoboTouch plugin, and enable the plugin "KoboTouchExtended (3.2.13) by JoelGoguen". You'll need to restart Calibre when switching between the 2 formats. The settings for each are pretty similar.
You can also send epubs with the KoboTouchExtended driver by unchecking Enable Extended Kobo Features on the Extended tab of the configuration for the plugin.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-21-2020 at 02:50 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #35
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Yes, I can see a preference for something like cookbooks. But for me, it's still only the cover, and if I ever cooked, I'd still prefer the neat same-sized covers within the reader than the cover I view for a max of 2 seconds. I love having the choice to both have it our preferred way.

Quote:
You can also send epubs with the KoboTouchExtended driver by unchecking Enable Extended Kobo Features on the Extended tab of the configuration for the plugin.
Thanks for the correction. It's been years since I've sent a kepub to my readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ereader, kobo, libra