Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
bookstar
Noobie
bookstar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Set on Purchasing a 505 soon, have a few questions.

Hello, as you can see I am very new to the forums.

Im pretty much settled on purchasing a 505 sometime this week, however there is a few things on my mind regarding file extensions and formats.

I am not to educated on the whole digital rights management thing. I understand if you purchase an ebook through a site, it will have security within that file so that you cannot use it with a competing brands device (at least thats my understanding).
However what I am slightly confused on, is if I take a file that has no drm attatched to it, convert that file to an extension the 505 would accept, would that file then need some sort of security added back on to it for the 505 to view the file.

Simply what I am quite confused on, is it easy to take a file (say an rtf or a lit) convert it to lrf through software like calibr and then transfer that to the 505 for my reading pleasure?

I must apologise if this has been answered elsewhere. I have been scanning around the forums, its what has narrowed my choices to the 505.

Cheers.
bookstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookstar View Post
However what I am slightly confused on, is if I take a file that has no drm attatched to it, convert that file to an extension the 505 would accept, would that file then need some sort of security added back on to it for the 505 to view the file.
No, the Sony will read DRM free .LRF, .ePub, and .PDF (and other) file formats just fine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
It sure will.

BTW, bookstar welcome to MobileRead. I've had a 505 for over a year now and am very pleased with it. If I had it to do all over again, I'd still to it. Truth is the damn thing is addictive
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
bookstar
Noobie

Thank you for your very speedy reply. One thing I forgot to add was, to read drm free formats, would I have to update the firmware on the device or would this work straight out of the box so to speak.

Edit : Thank you for your warm welcome =]
Cheers
Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thank you for your very speedy reply. One thing I forgot to add was, to read drm free formats, would I have to update the firmware on the device or would this work straight out of the box so to speak.

Edit : Thank you for your warm welcome =]
Cheers
It will work right out of the box.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:

Simply what I am quite confused on, is it easy to take a file (say an rtf or a lit) convert it to lrf through software like calibr and then transfer that to the 505 for my reading pleasure?
The Sony reader works with both protected and non-protected (i.e. with or without DRM) files in the BBeB/lrf and ePub formats. If you find a DRM-free file in one of those format, simply copy it to the Sony's memory and read it. If you find a DRM-free file in MS Reader (.lit) or Mobipocket (.mobi/.prc) format, you can convert to one of the formats supported by the Sony reader using Calibre -- and you would treat it just like a DRM-free file originally in that format.

So, while the DRM limits the use of a given book file to a fixed set of devices, DRM-free books can be read on any device you own. Typically, for DRM-free books that are copyrighted, you have a license restriction not to distribute a book to another person.

For example, I purchased The Right to Arm Bears from Baen and downloaded both the Mobipocket and Sony versions of the book. I put the book onto both my Sony reader and my Blackberry and then I used the Blackberry for "stealth reading" when I was in places where it was inconvenient to pull out the Sony reader.

Quote:
No need to make any updates to support DRM-free reading. If you are buying a used Sony PRS-505 then you'll need to make sure it has the V1.1 update so that it can read ePub files.

Last edited by Elsi; 03-22-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
bookstar
Noobie

Thank you =]

Edit: That was very helpful information Elsi, I very much appreciate you posting that. I hope to be getting a 505 sometime this week. Im looking forward to that very much.

Last edited by bookstar; 03-22-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If you shop at Fictionwise and purchase titles marked 'multiformat' then you can download an LRF version and upload it right to your device. I like these files because there is no restriction on how many times or in how many formats you can download them, once you own it, you own it. So I can download an eReader version for my iPod Touch and then also download an LRF for my Sony.

If you buy a protected format and strip the DRM off of it, you can usually get it to HTML form and then convert it for the Sony using Calibre.

Also, there are many free files here on the forum, ready to go. There are 4000 Sony files. Plus you can download LRF files from Manybooks.net for free, and PDF files formatted for the SOny from Feedbooks.com
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote