Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #24061
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Pigs Don't Fly" by Mary Brown, which is the middle third of the 2003 Baen omnibus "Here There Be Dragonnes". Another excellent "quest"-type fantasy, telling the story of a young girl who is thrown out of her home in what is probably medieval Europe when her mother, the village whore, dies. Well written and enjoyable, although it contains an irritating number of errors, which many of these early Baen books did. Recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #24062
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Just finished Lethal Code by Thomas Waite.

This book is scary. Not because of monsters or aliens or any of that... rather, it's due to the very real possibility that the events therein could actually happen.

Every week it seems we hear about a new hacking incident... whether it's a digital bank robbery or a hospital's records being held for ransom; it doesn't seem implausible that a team of hackers could take over all the power stations in this country. The ensuing death and destruction is well-illustrated without becoming macabre, though I must admit that I had to pause in my reading every once in a while, as I became too emotional.

The characters are well-developed and believable, the plot is well written and I can't recall a single error in the text or formatting.

For me, this is a very good book, and will go into the favorites list.

Next is another Odd Thomas book, Odd Hours.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #24063
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Just back from a weekend trip to attend our daughter's graduation. I brought along my JetBook Lite as well as a couple of old issues of Galaxy and If magazine that I picked up in the used book store. One of them was the October, 1965, issue of If with the first of three installments of Keith Laumer's Retief's War. I can remember buying this issue when I was in eighth grade, after school at the local pharmacy's magazine stand, but I never read the Retief story. I'm a big fan of Keith Laumer, but I've never really been a fan of his Retief novels.

This time I decided to give it a shot. I didn't have the subsequent issues with me, but I did have the Baen ebook Retief! on my JBL, and I was able to continue the story there. Bottom line: I'm still not a Retief fan. It starts out good -- even very good -- but the satire is too broad and heavy-handed. Also, his handling of the uncivilized aliens, and the sudden (and unnecessary?) appearance of a spaceship full of attractive young women, were way too clumsy.

It also highlighted something that I find pretty sad. The illustrations to the original serial in If were done by Jack Gaughan and do a very good job of making the concept of wheeled aliens a little less unimaginable. When stories from the old pulps are collected for new anthologies I wish publishers would put a greater premium on including the original illustrations.

Anyway, I decided to try a safer bet for my next read. I've started Baen's The Universe Twister, a collection of Keith Laumer's three Lafayette O'Leary novels. I read the first one, The Time Bender, many years ago and remember liking it.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 AM   #24064
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next: Witches Abroad is still on hold, I thought it was available. Instead I will read The Columbus Affair by Steve Berry. This was the first book I saw when I logged in to my library this morning to get a new book so I am going to count it in the Something for Everyone Challenge as "the first book you see in the book store library."
I enjoyed that, interesting take on Columbus. Certainly some truth in there (regarding what happened in the new world.)

Next up: The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein for the book club, need to finish by Friday when the discussion starts. Witches Abroad after that since it came in a couple days ago.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:56 AM   #24065
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Now I'm reading for the very first time Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy. I'm late to the party, I know
I've finished the first book, which was great, and taking a break from the trilogy by reading Alive (Scott Stiegler).
After the third chapter I still don't know what to expect, not in a bad way though.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #24066
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next up : Big Bang - The Origin of the Universe by Simon Singh. A non fiction, analytical book on physics and astronomy.
Finished Big Bang - The Origin of the Universe by Simon Singh.

The book tracks down each piece of evidence supporting the Big Bang theory: the abundance of hydrogen in the Universe, the discovery that galaxies are speeding away from us, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. It introduces the cast of characters involved in each discovery, and then leads us through the observations and breakthroughs that formed this piece of evidence. We also meet the challengers and understand their differing, and very valid, viewpoints. Despite being a hard science in itself, it’s easy to read and understand this book, and gives a great overview of the theory, the theorists, and the evidence. Recommended.

Next will be Sex, Scotch and Scholarship ,another memoir by the notable journalist and writer Khushwant Singh.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:02 AM   #24067
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I've acquired several graphic novels recently - some borrowed, some electronic bought on sale - and have been plowing through them at speed. In no particular order:

Araña volumes 1-2: Interestingly different-for-Marvel take on a spider-powered heroine. So far, with the exception of one event, this could be completely divorced from the Marvel Universe with no problems.

The Sandman volumes 1-4: No, I hadn't read them before. No, not any of them. For real. At this point... meh, honestly. I can see the skill in the craft, but it feels like being served a delicately designed, artfully built meringue. There just doesn't seem to be much meat there.

Silk volume 0: I have the Original Sin collection - the big one, not the shorter one with the same cover - and this reminds me that I ought to read it. I encountered the character for the first time in the Spider-Verse story - short form, she was also bitten by the spider that got Peter Parker - and so far, I like what's going on with her. Suffers a bit from being cut short by the Secret Wars "all the universes die" decree; I'll have to see what becomes of her afterward.

Spider-Gwen volume 0: Kind of the same situation as Silk 0, actually. New character, a few issues to get a feel for her world, then it comes to a sudden end thanks to Marketing. It was interesting to see how some familiar characters were thrust into different roles, though... Matt Murdock as Kingpin's enforcer? Frank Castle on the police force? I know the character's coming back, the big question is how. I think I like Silk more as a character, but I like Gwen's setting more.

Secret Wars Prelude collection: A haphazard collection that delivers several seeds that should have at least gotten a couple of pages of summary in the main event. "Here's the Doom/Beyonder backstory. Here's who Miles Morales is, if you live under a rock. Here's a bit about The Maker and the City he built, which makes no sense without even more background. Here's something about Doom trying his hand at making a universe. Oh, and here are three issues of New Avengers that actually tell you what's going on. Good luck!" I would've done this as a reprint of the New Avengers issues plus a special (double-length at most) issue that summarized everything else. It would've been half the size and much easier to digest.

Secret Wars collection: My, this was mismarketed. You go in expecting a big fight between the heroes of two universes, and instead you get a plodding, weird story that reads like an oversized FF-themed "What If" miniseries. I might have liked it more if the expectations had been set accordingly. There doesn't seem to be any point in bothering with the tie-in collections, which will at least save my wallet some pain.

Ms. Marvel volumes 1-3: Very refreshing. I'm not part of any of Kamela Khan's communities, but learning about them and seeing the Marvel Universe through her fresh perspective is very cool. Unfortunately, volume 4 concludes with the same big "OMG Secret Wars smash" event, which I'm not looking forward to.

Amazing Spider-Man volume 1: So far, the only post-Secret Wars Marvel collection I've read. Thankfully, the world-shattering event doesn't seem to have messed with this all that much. Spidey's taking on sort of a "Junior Iron Man" role as tech-funded philanthropist, and I like where this is going so far.

On the prose side, I'm working my way through Acolytes of Cthulhu a little at a time. It's mainly a reprint anthology of older stories, but there may be a couple of originals in there. The good thing about anthologies is that you can read a story or two at a time, as the mood hits. This one's not bad, but there's that matter of setting expectations. I hadn't realized the tales were reprints at first, but now that I'm over that, I've recalibrated and am cool with it. Sometimes, all you want from a Mythos story is a shoggoth and a madman in a padded cell...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #24068
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Mind Readers", by Margery Allingham; the 18th book in the "Campion" series. A rather improbable story involving various groups of spies trying to get hold of a device that enables telepathic communication. Not one of the better books in the series, though not bad by any means.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #24069
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Next up: The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein for the book club, need to finish by Friday when the discussion starts. Witches Abroad after that since it came in a couple days ago.
I really enjoyed The Steerswoman. Discussion starts Friday...

I will start Witches Abroad this evening and am looking forward to it!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #24070
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I really enjoyed The Steerswoman. Discussion starts Friday...

I will start Witches Abroad this evening and am looking forward to it!
I'm glad.

I'm taking a quick and very weird break from the Steerswoman series (I've now re-read the first three) to read Silence, one of the Chrome Bourne urban fantasies from Mercedes Lackey. Talk about opposites!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:08 AM   #24071
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Right to Arm Bears by Gordon R. Dickson. An old Baen purchase.
And an enjoyable romp it was too.

Next up: Sharpe's <something> by Bernard Cornwall. Whichever is next in my Sharpe read-through.

More campaigning in Portugal.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:38 AM   #24072
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And an enjoyable romp it was too.

Next up: Sharpe's <something> by Bernard Cornwall. Whichever is next in my Sharpe read-through.

More campaigning in Portugal.
Ha! We're both reading Cornwall. Well, actually I'm listening to Cornwall; an audiobook of his one and only work of non-fiction, Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies, and Three Battles.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:47 AM   #24073
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
With all the talk about and recommendations for The Steerswoman, I've decided to give it a go. So it's up next, as soon as I finish the latest in the Robert B Parker's Spencer series.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 AM   #24074
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next will be Sex, Scotch and Scholarship ,another memoir by the notable journalist and writer Khushwant Singh.
Just finished Sex, Scotch and Scholarship by Khushwant Singh.

In this anthology, which comprises some of Khushwant Singh's best writing, you can look forward to some talk of sex, a little of Scotch and much Scholarship. The collection attempts to mirror the author's concerns and passions-his love of nature, his anguish over the situation in Punjab, his interest in religions of the world and his scholarly research on the one into which he was born, Sikhism. The highlight of this book, however, is the expansive, autobiographical opening piece written in Khushwant's characteristically candid style and perhaps the most complete self-portrait he had painted in his lifetime.

Next up: I honestly have not decided yet! need either a break or a new buying perhaps.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #24075
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Odd Hours by Dean Koontz. I am a bit tired of people shooting people (having read that one freebie of the month, then this Odd Thomas book, and then watching London has Fallen at the movies), so I am going to read another inspirational piece: One Girl, One Dream by Laura Dekker.

This is the girl who circumnavigated the globe alone in a sailboat from the age of 14.

Also queued up is Rabid by Bill Wasik; a book about rabies, and still working on The Linux Command Line by William E. Shotts Jr. which is a slow read, if only because I am familiar with a lot of the material already.

I thought I would have some down time due to an incipient engine rebuild, but it turns out there is nothing fatally wrong with my engine, so I dodged an expensive and time-consuming bullet there; though to be quite frank, I was kind of looking forward to a bit of a change of pace/challenge...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote