Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Patch for auto-mounting when plugged to USB?

Having to click "Connect" every time a USB cable is plugged in is a chore if you're doing it 10 times a day. I don't care about the security risk.

Would be great if this was somehow patchable.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Having to click "Connect" every time a USB cable is plugged in is a chore if you're doing it 10 times a day. I don't care about the security risk.

Would be great if this was somehow patchable.
Bad idea. Then you cannot read while charging.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bad idea. Then you cannot read while charging.
Not so... If I plug my Glo into the charger that came with my Nexus 7 it does not trigger the USB connection message.

I'm sure we've had this discussion previously on this forum about USB chargers and what is needed for the Kobo to detect that it is a data connection.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:14 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
This is a feature I'd also love, since no other reader that I have prompts to connect or not and I often forget to do it until hours later. Reading while charging is something I'd never ever do.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
no other reader that I have prompts to connect or not
Really? Every device does this, even the $1000 "smart" phone. If it didn't ask, as JSWolf said you could probably not read while charging. This has technical reasons. A filesystem can only be mounted by one machine at the time; while you read it's mounted by your reader; while it's in usb storage, it's [assumed to be] mounted by your computer and the reader must not access it during that time, otherwise you get data corruption.

A "read while charging" feature under these circumstances would involve the reader keeping a copy of the current book in memory (and then you could not switch books while charging).

It's possible to upload files through wifi, if you have a FTP server running. Unfortunately the Kobo does not know about those uploads and does not update its database. Maybe it would work for an external SD card which you can pop in/out while the device is running... and you can communicate this SD switch to nickel through the hardware status.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post

It's possible to upload files through wifi, if you have a FTP server running. Unfortunately the Kobo does not know about those uploads and does not update its database.
Huh. Recently when the USB port on my Glo was damaged (still able to charge the device but unable to connect to a PC) I had NO issues downloading new ePubs to the device via calibre's Content Server using the stock Kobo browser and seeing those books processed and added to the database.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I had NO issues downloading new ePubs to the device via calibre's Content Server using the stock Kobo browser and seeing those books processed and added to the database.
If the Kobo does the downloading, sure - but with FTP it's passive [OTOH it allows pushing hundreds of files in one go - but you still have to plug into USB once for the database]. FTP is a bad idea anyway as it's not protected and offers access to anyone in the network.

I wish there was a database free folder browsing mode for the Kobo. So many problems just wouldn't exist.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I wish there was a database free folder browsing mode for the Kobo. So many problems just wouldn't exist.
KoReader or CoolReader
Old 03-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If the Kobo does the downloading, sure - but with FTP it's passive [OTOH it allows pushing hundreds of files in one go - but you still have to plug into USB once for the database]. FTP is a bad idea anyway as it's not protected and offers access to anyone in the network.
It should also process the books after a power. cycle And someone has worked out how to trigger the processing when putting books on the device by other methods.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Not so... If I plug my Glo into the charger that came with my Nexus 7 it does not trigger the USB connection message.

I'm sure we've had this discussion previously on this forum about USB chargers and what is needed for the Kobo to detect that it is a data connection.
I've tried my H2O with an iPhone charger and I did get the USB connection message. So any charger that follows the Apple specs will trigger the USB connection message.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
someone has worked out how to trigger the processing when putting books on the device by other methods.
link?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't remember exactly. I assume Google Drive on Kobo Touch does it. I seem to remember a discussion on it as part of something else, but I can't remember what.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Really? Every device does this, even the $1000 "smart" phone. If it didn't ask, as JSWolf said you could probably not read while charging. This has technical reasons. A filesystem can only be mounted by one machine at the time; while you read it's mounted by your reader; while it's in usb storage, it's [assumed to be] mounted by your computer and the reader must not access it during that time, otherwise you get data corruption.

A "read while charging" feature under these circumstances would involve the reader keeping a copy of the current book in memory (and then you could not switch books while charging).

It's possible to upload files through wifi, if you have a FTP server running. Unfortunately the Kobo does not know about those uploads and does not update its database. Maybe it would work for an external SD card which you can pop in/out while the device is running... and you can communicate this SD switch to nickel through the hardware status.
The Kindle requires absolutely none of this. If I plug it in somewhere, it automounts, and if I use the OS "Eject" feature I can read while it charges. In practice this doesn't always happen -- because my Kindle is secured with a password, so unless it was already "turned on", I have to type in the password first. I would expect the same from smartphones -- instead they disappoint me.

Aside: I can also add books through USBNetwork, or via the kterm hack if I download via wget etc.
The Kindle instantly (well, after a few seconds) senses it.

It is not completely illogical to expect some sort of similar behavior from other devices.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-08-2015 at 01:12 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:34 AM   #14
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
link?
If you said "how to trigger Kobo device to search sideload books?", i use the KSM's "simulate_usb_connection.png". It make appear the usb message without connect it actually, then you touch connect button and after a few seconds it return to home screen.

For me it work well.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Really? Every device does this, even the $1000 "smart" phone.
Nope, my phone connects as a media device (Samsung Galaxy S4) and there's no prompt at all, and I have full access to do anything I want on the phone while it's charging, including making calls, transferring files, playing games, reading.

My Sony PRS-350 just connects with a charging battery message, no prompt. If I plug it into a wall outlet, there's still no prompt but I could read if I ever wanted to (but I don't).

My PW2 just connects, no prompt, it just goes right into "USB Drive Mode" and charges. If I want to read on it, I then just eject it from the PC (but again, something I'd never do).

Even my cameras connect and immediately start charging, no bothersome message at all. If I want to transfer photos, then I have to turn it on and it stops charging while doing that.

But the Kobo Glo... annoying message prompt to either Cancel or Connect to go into USB mode and charge, or else it just sits there with the light on doing nothing and not charging.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 03-08-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote