Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #21691
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm currently reading Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him by David Henry and Joe Henry.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #21692
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "March to the Stars", the third book in the "Empire of Man" military SF series by David Weber and John Ringo. Excellent, just as the first two books in the series were. Now on to the final book, "We Few", which unlike the first three, I haven't previously read. Looking forward very much to the conclusion of this excellent story.
"Fourth" is more accurate; at last word, three more volumes are planned.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #21693
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
If they ever finish them. I am getting impatient.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #21694
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If they ever finish them. I am getting impatient.
Apache
I'm not holding my breath, and there's no sign that either of them is actively working on the next one. John started on it, and the snippets site had four chapters up at one point, but then he and David had authorial differences about the direction of the story. And then, of course, stupid zombies got in the way of further progress. So while I hope there will be further books in this series, I'm not all that confident that any will happen in the near to mid term.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:46 AM   #21695
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Started the second book: The Death of Kings in the Emperor series, depicting the life of Julius Caesar
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:55 AM   #21696
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished One Rough Man by Brad Taylor and it was a very good thriller and a very fast read. Next up Seize the Night by Dean Koontz
That's the trouble with this thread. Every time I have a look, it just adds to my TBRL. I'm going to be looking into both of the above .

Currently about a third of the way through the final novel in the Odd Thomas series, Saint Odd by Dean Koontz. despite it's homespun syrupy flavour, it is enjoyable stuff, and it's difficult not to get invested in the characters.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #21697
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now for Saint Peter's Fair by Ellis Peters. Her 4th Cadfael book
As expected, most enjoyable, if a little obvious. But that may be because of having read it when it was first published, even though that's over 30 years ago now!

Next up: Something I bought back in May 2005, Skyclimber by Raymond Z. Gallun.

I have to say that it's not looking too promising at the moment.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-06-2015 at 02:16 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #21698
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
The Skin Collector by Jeffery Deaver

Here are my 12 favorite books from 2014 (New Releases);

AUTHOR TITLE Allan Leverone All Enemies Brad Taylor Days Of Rage Brad Thor Act Of War David Rosenfelt Hounded Ian Graham Signs Of Violence J.E. Fishman A Danger To Himself And Others Josheph Finder Suspicion L.T. Ryan Thin Line Michael Connelly The Burning Room Neil Russell Beverly Hills Is Burning Robert Bidinotto Bad Deeds Robert McDermott Deadly Crossing
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #21699
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I am currently reading The Rook. Its fantastic, so far! I wish I had started it yesterday morning. Now I'll have to sneak in 5 minutes of reading enjoyment, whenever I can, during the workweek.
I was half joking when I mentioned stealing 5 minutes of reading time, but the joke was on me as thats basically what has happened this week. So, I'm now only half way through this frustratingly entertaining book!

The story is intense yet fun, at times humorous, and quite interesting, but there is a lot of info to digest - like a whole lifetime's worth.
I'm assuming its because this is the first book in the series and the author is trying to lay as much ground work as possible.

While some of the reviews (even 4 & 5 star ones) find Myfanwy a bit flat, I disagree - I really like her.

There are some very specific things I would like to have happen, but I have no idea if they ever will.

Yep...frustratingly entertaining!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #21700
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finished "We Few" by David Weber and John Ringo; the fourth book in the "Empire of Man" military SF series. A very good ending to the series as it stands so far, although I was left feeling slightly "short changed" because I had thought it was the end of the series entirely, which it plainly is not. Given that it's 10 years since it was published, I wonder if the series will be be completed? Even so, highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #21701
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished The Dead Key, maybe some Arthur C. Clark?

Or perhaps I will pull out Spangler's second novel, Maker Space... it'll be a quick read.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #21702
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A very good ending to the series as it stands so far, although I was left feeling slightly "short changed" because I had thought it was the end of the series entirely, which it plainly is not.
It was a good enough ending for me. There have been rumours of sequels, but they haven't come to anything yet.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #21703
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth #2)
by M.C. Beaton - 2/5

The rating for Death Of A Cad is harsh. Or at least seems so, compared to my usual methods and standards. Part of my frustration is my inability to pinpoint the exact reason why the book was kind of meh, despite a great denouement. Adjectives! What use are they to me when I can only misuse them to try to gauge why I thought the book was pedestrian to a fault?

Reading this particular offering reminded me strongly less of M.C. Beaton's sibling franchise (the Agatha Raisin books) but more of Sue Grafton's popular series and not less popular that of J.D. Robb's. The book doesn't have a lot of heart. It reads like it came from an assembly line. There is no soul to the book - here we go again. What's the use of describing something as soulless if that doesn't clarify my experience and reaction and the color of my disappointment towards this book? I can't narrow it down, I can't put to paper the itinerary of my journey of reading the book. I might as well get on with it and finish off with a less angst-y and less ridiculous paragraph. But first allow me to put my toys back in my pram...

So, straight to it, finally. I was pleased that the murderer turned out to be someone given a lot of screen time in the book. I'll say no more spoiler-y things, but I didn't want to give Death Of A Cad 3 stars because for something read almost in a day, it is surprisingly cagey in rewarding the patience of the reader. I was also fed up of lowering my expectations of mysteries and had to draw the line somewhere. I don't feel that I've thrown Death Of A Cad under the bus. I'm just saying I feel like I've been taken for a ride.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #21704
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It was a good enough ending for me. There have been rumours of sequels, but they haven't come to anything yet.
I agree that the ending is satisfactory, but it left me wanting more. Perhaps, though, that's simply a sign of good writing!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #21705
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
ANext up: Something I bought back in May 2005, Skyclimber by Raymond Z. Gallun.

I have to say that it's not looking too promising at the moment.
Interesting story, just interesting enough that I finished the book. But poorly told. What should have been an exciting adventure story was essentially told as rather dry history, and most of the characters didn't come alive for me. I probably should have abandoned half way.

Next up: Shadow Worlds by Darrell Bain and Barbara M. Hodges. Another ancient purchase, from May 2005. I still have 48 (including this one) unread books from 2005 and 2006, so I'd better get a move on if I'm going to finish them all this year.