Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #76
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Hi tshering,

its possible patch for fw 3.11.0?

thanks

( I would like to know how the patch is prepared! )
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #77
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
Hi tshering,

its possible patch for fw 3.11.0?

thanks

( I would like to know how the patch is prepared! )
Sorry, surquizu, I somehow overlooked your post. I am sure a patch for fw 3.11.0 would have been possible, but I did not have a chance to try it.

As to how to prepare the patch, I basically take the patch files of the previous version, try to identify the css codes in nickel and libnickel.so.1.0.0 of the new FW package and change the addresses ("position=xxx") accordingly.

Last edited by tshering; 12-12-2014 at 05:30 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #78
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Modification for Bad Eyes FW 3.12.0

Support of Glo and newer models is slightly better than in former versions. As always you will have to edit the patch files in accordance with your needs and your device.

Usage:
  • unpack the attached archive on your pc
    Spoiler:
    The path should not be too long (cf. this post), and should not contain "&".
  • edit the files libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt and nickel.txt as you see fit
  • copy kobo-update-3.12.0.zip into the folder 3.12.0_source
    Spoiler:
    Alternatively you can
    • copy KoboRoot.tgz (extracted from kobo-update-3.12.0.zip) into 3.g12.0_source
    • or copy KoboRoot.tar (extracted from KoboRoot.tgz) into 3.12.0_source
    • or copy libnickel.so.1.0.0 and nickel (extracted from KoboRoot.tar) into 3.12.0_source
    You can find the download link of kobo-update-3.12.0.zip here.
  • double click on 3.12.0.bat
    Spoiler:
    If you do not want to compress the resulting patched files into KoboRoot.tgz, use 3.12.0_no_packing.bat instead. I now prefer to put the files with the restore option of KSM to their location.
  • copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz, which you will find in the folder3.12.0_target, to the .kobo folder on your device.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher11_3.12.0.zip (509.2 KB, 293 views)
File Type: zip mfbe_3.12.0_MZstyle_patch_files.zip (27.5 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by tshering; 12-16-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:13 AM   #79
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Sorry, surquizu, I somehow overlooked your post. I am sure a patch for fw 3.11.0 would have been possible, but I did not have a chance to try it.
T. thank you very much,
I really really like this patch. The wait was worth it!

It seems to work fine on my aura HD, except gothic font does not change dictionary definitions.

Quote:
As to how to prepare the patch, I basically take the patch files of the previous version, try to identify the css codes in nickel and libnickel.so.1.0.0 of the new FW package and change the addresses ("position=xxx") accordingly.
Thanks but I do not know how to view the css codes and addresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_008.png
Views:	350
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	132444   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_015.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	132445  
Old 12-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #80
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
It seems to work fine on my aura HD, except gothic font does not change dictionary definitions.
You are right! None of the three examples changes the font face. Thank you for telling.

Quote:
Thanks but I do not know how to view the css codes and addresses.
Try opening the files with hex-editor.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #81
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Quote:
You are right! None of the three examples changes the font face. Thank you for telling.

Try opening the files with hex-editor.
Hi, tshering, I want to know if this patch can use for HD and change the dict's font?
Phonetic symbols in the default english dict can't be shown correctly. It seems Georgia font don't include the whole symbols. So I want to change a font to show them correctly. Thanks.

I tested. like post #79, font in dict doesn't change and only becomes larger.

BTW, How can I get the function and position of these patches in a binary file? Can this patch merge in GeoffR's patch? Thanks.

Last edited by scoky; 12-16-2014 at 04:56 AM.
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #82
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoky View Post
Hi, tshering, I want to know if this patch can use for HD and change the dict's font?
Phonetic symbols in the default english dict can't be shown correctly. It seems Georgia font don't include the whole symbols. So I want to change a font to show them correctly. Thanks.

As surquizu has noted, this does not work properly in the current version. And I guess it did not work in the last two or three versions. Currently only the size changes. I look at it if I have a chance.

Quote:
BTW, How can I get the function and position of these patches in a binary file?
I open the binary with a hex/binary editor and watch for things that look like css code. Then I try to guess for which element this code is used. I modify the code, load the file to the Kobo reader, and see whether my guess was right.

Quote:
Can this patch merge in GeoffR's patch? Thanks.
Not sure whether you are still interested in this, ...
You can merge the content of GeoffR's patch files into my patch files but not the other way round. A problem however is, that on some PCs my executable does not correctly handle "replace_float," which GeoffR uses a lot (the incorrect handling seems to depend on the architecture and not on the Windows version).

Another possibility is to use a file patched with the one patcher as source file for the other patcher. This needs a bit of copying files around.

I uploaded versions of the two patch files that can be used with GeoffR's patcher and that of course can be merged with his patch files here. I had to disable two jobs or so, since they would not work with GeoffR's patcher, but they do not concern the dictionary.
Always take care, that two or more patches do not modify the same parts of the file.

Last edited by tshering; 12-16-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #83
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
As surquizu has noted, this does not work properly in the current version. And I guess it did not work in the last two or three versions. Currently only the size changes. I look at it if I have a chance.

I open the binary with a hex/binary editor and watch for things that look like css code. Then I try to guess for which element this code is used. I modify the code, load the file to the Kobo reader, and see whether my guess was right.

Not sure whether you are still interested in this, ...
You can merge the content of GeoffR's patch files into my patch files but not the other way round. A problem however is, that on some PCs my executable does not correctly handle "replace_float," which GeoffR uses a lot (the incorrect handling seems to depend on the architecture and not on the Windows version).

Another possibility is to use a file patched with the one patcher as source file for the other patcher. This needs a bit of copying files around.

I uploaded versions of the two patch files that can be used with GeoffR's patcher, and of course merged with his patch files here. I had to disable two jobs or so, since they would not work with GeoffR's patcher, but they do not concern the dictionary.
Always take care, that to patches do not modify the same parts of the file.
Thanks for your kindly reply. I change another font- arial and it works! font and its size all changed ! I have merged your patch with GeoffR's. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #84
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for your kindly reply. I change another font- arial and it works! font and its size all changed ! I have merged your patch with GeoffR's. Thanks again.
I am glad it worked for you!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #85
surquizu
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks for your kindly reply. I change another font- arial and it works! font and its size all changed !
Can you explain how you have done exactly?

thanks!

Quote:
I have merged your patch with GeoffR's. Thanks again.

I also have merged patches. I used the method discussed tshering: "Another Possibility to use a file is patched with the patcher as one source file for the other patcher. This needs a bit of copying files around"
(only have nullified foot patch header Tshering to keep options GeoffR's)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #86
scoky
Connoisseur

Quote:
Can you explain how you have done exactly?

thanks!

I also have merged patches. I used the method discussed tshering: "Another Possibility to use a file is patched with the patcher as one source file for the other patcher. This needs a bit of copying files around"
(only have nullified foot patch header Tshering to keep options GeoffR's)
I just change this line in Dictionary section in libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt
Code:
newpart=* { font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;font-size: 38px; line-height: 42px; }\n
to
Code:
newpart=* { font-family: Arial;font-size: 38px; line-height: 42px; }\n
and I side-load arial fonts in /mnt/onboard/fonts/
Old 12-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Code:
newpart=* { font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;font-size: 38px; line-height: 42px; }\n
to
Code:

Where exactly can that text file be found? Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #88
surquizu
Evangelist

Quote:
Code:
to
Code:
Done

Quote:
Done

but I do not work for me

I do not know why

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where exactly can that text file be found? Thanks.
in the message #78
Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #89
scoky
Connoisseur

Quote:
Done

Done

but I do not work for me

I do not know why

in the message #78
That's strange. Can you see Arial in your Font Face in Aa setting?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #90
scoky
Connoisseur

Quote:
I am glad it worked for you!
I can't find how to modify fonts and size of Collection name, could it be modified? or just don't know the specific position?