Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
kelli3222
kelli3222 began at the beginning.

Device: samsung android with kindle
Question Android Update...Not Connecting

Anyone else having this problem? My samsung galaxy android tablet had an update yesterday. Now it keeps telling me An SD card has been inserted. Yes, I know, it's always been there. But now Calibre will not connect to computer at all! I'm new to this all & loved it when I could get it to work. Haha
I'm at a loss and have no idea what to do. Can anyone help? Please? Thanks.
kelli3222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You might want to try using Calibre Companion. Just on general principle, since it is an awesome app for using calibre with android. But since it does not connect over USB but via WiFi, it wouldn't suffer this problem.

Calibre Companion costs $2.99 but it is worth it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
kelli3222

Calibre Companion is what I'm using. It worked just fine Sunday. Hasn't since then.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved to the Calibre Companion Forum
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Did you update to android 4.4 or above, and is your library on an external SD card? If so then you have been bitten by the Google decision to make SD cards read-only. See CC's FAQ I upgraded to Android 4.4 (KitKat) and I can't connect anymore. Why?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
kelli3222

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is indeed, the issue. I will look at the thread. Thanks so much kind soul for answering me!!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
kelli3222

OK, one issue. LOL I freaked out & uninstalled calibre companion & reinstalled. I have all my books backed up to my PC. But now I'm totally confused & ready to just give up.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli3222 View Post
OK, one issue. LOL I freaked out & uninstalled calibre companion & reinstalled. I have all my books backed up to my PC. But now I'm totally confused & ready to just give up.
I assume that all your books are still in your calibre library. If so, then recovering is easy. You send all your books to CC again.

The steps:
  • Delete the books from the old location on the SD card. You might want to make a copy of them first. Do this first to be sure that you have enough space on the SD card for the new copies of the books.
  • Reinstall CC
  • Assuming you want your books on the SD card, follow the steps in the FAQ answer to change CC's folder. It won't do any copying because there aren't any books in CC's default folder. Note: the only advantage of using an SD card is space.
  • Change any other CC settings you might have changed before.
  • Connect as a wireless device to calibre
  • In calibre, resend the books you want on the device.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
kelli3222

Thank you very much! I will try this and cross my finger & hope I can do this right. LOL Love this program, but at times like these, I feel so stupid! Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #10
kelli3222

I did what you suggested. I even took the SD card out & reinstalled CC. No luck. Put the card in, no luck. Noticed the IP address didn't match, did what it said (never had that problem in the past)I simply do not understand why it won't connect when it did so perfectly Sunday! Now all of a sudden I'm going in & having to change IP's and technical stuff when before it just seemed to "magically" connect. I'm sorry, I'm simply frustrated at this point, don't know what else to do and I just want to throw in the towel and give up. Nothing is working! :'(
Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I did what you suggested. I even took the SD card out & reinstalled CC. No luck. Put the card in, no luck. Noticed the IP address didn't match, did what it said (never had that problem in the past)I simply do not understand why it won't connect when it did so perfectly Sunday! Now all of a sudden I'm going in & having to change IP's and technical stuff when before it just seemed to "magically" connect. I'm sorry, I'm simply frustrated at this point, don't know what else to do and I just want to throw in the towel and give up. Nothing is working! :'(
I am not sure if you giving up is final. If so, and that would be understandable, ignore the rest of this post.

Lets start with getting CC to connect to calibre. To do that:
  • Uninstall CC.
  • Reinstall CC. Change no CC settings.
  • On the machine running calibre: stop and restart calibre.
  • Make sure that the wireless device driver is running in calibre by clicking the Connect/Share icon. You should see something like the following. The IP address(es) will be different.
  • Using CC, attempt to connect as a wireless device.
If connecting works then we can deal with moving your library to the SD card. Or perhaps you don't really need to do that.

If connecting doesn't work, then we need to determine why.

Did you update calibre since the last time you connected? If so, then make sure that you are running the latest calibre release and try again. If it still fails, please send me a CC debug log and a calibre debug log.

To send a calibre debug log, follow the instructions in the FAQ answer "How do I get help?". Be sure to use CC to attempt to connect as wireless device after you restart calibre and before you close it. Email the debug log to me at calibre_debug_logs [at] charles [dot] haleys [dot] org. (Make the substitutions.)

After you have sent the calibre debug log, please send a CC debug log. You do this by going to CC's settings, scrolling to the end, and choosing "Send a debug log to multipie." You will see two email addresses, one to "multipie[dot] co[dot] uk" and one to "charles [dot] haleys [dot] org". Please erase the multipie one. As you are already talking to me there is no reason to bring my son into the story.

Given that connecting used to work and now doesn't (assuming the above didn't work), then something has changed on your network. If you are running windows, perhaps you changed from 32-bit calibre to 64-bit calibre? If so then you will need to let the new version of calibre through your firewall. Perhaps you changed your wifi/home network router? If so then there could be a lot of reasons that CC can no longer connect. But further speculation isn't really useful at this point.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:46 AM   #12
kelli3222

Ok, will do & get back to you tomorrow (I'm in Texas, it's almost 4am here, was workingon this 2 hours! ). Thanks for the reply and patience!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:39 AM   #13
kelli3222

Talking THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't thank you enough for your help, I so appreciate it. I worked on CC for at least 3 hours and I can tell you after that much time spent on one thing, anybody is ready to say screw it...but I love the program so much. So today I woke up with a fresh mind...lol and read what you told me to do. I did it all & remembered the first time I connected, I never changed any IPs or port numbers and you said to not mess with them. I had already updated to the latest version. Guess what? The more I thought, I realized I had always had the free version of Malwarebytes. I installed the paid version last weekend!!!!!! I exited that and did what you said & voila! That did it! I have no idea how to get Malwarebytes to allow CC so I can just exit the program & everything works when I just leave it alone! Sometimes, you just get to a point where you over-think things and I passed that point 30 minutes in last night. Haha
So....Thank You!!!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can't thank you enough for your help, I so appreciate it. I worked on CC for at least 3 hours and I can tell you after that much time spent on one thing, anybody is ready to say screw it...but I love the program so much. So today I woke up with a fresh mind...lol and read what you told me to do. I did it all & remembered the first time I connected, I never changed any IPs or port numbers and you said to not mess with them. I had already updated to the latest version. Guess what? The more I thought, I realized I had always had the free version of Malwarebytes. I installed the paid version last weekend!!!!!! I exited that and did what you said & voila! That did it! I have no idea how to get Malwarebytes to allow CC so I can just exit the program & everything works when I just leave it alone! Sometimes, you just get to a point where you over-think things and I passed that point 30 minutes in last night. Haha
So....Thank You!!!!!
I am very glad you got it working. It continues to amaze and frustrate us that changes "over there" can silently break something "over here".

I took a look at the MalwareBytes user manual and it says something very interesting. In the "Web Exclusions" section, the part of MalwareBytes that prevents programs for talking to the network, I see
Quote:
This screen allows users of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Trial versions to exclude IP addresses, Internet domains and processes from Website Protection. This screen is disabled for users of the free version, because Malicious Website Protection is disabled in the free version.
That confirms what you said, that the free version did not prevent calibre from talking to the network but that the pay version does.

If you use the "Add Process" option described on page 20 of the MalwareBytes manual, you may be able to unblock calibre so you can use CC and leave MalwareBytes running. I can't be sure it will work. And given the amount of time you have already spent, this easily could be a project for another day.