Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #16
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Anyway, from what I gather, the DOC/ODT export doesn't have much text that magically goes poof, but those two formats come along with their own host of problems/bloat (and I don't have much experience with those formats, since my workflow is OCR -> EPUB/HTML -> Sigil -> completed EPUB).
Of course the Word documents have their own issues (the absolute nightmare of variations of the body style for one), but those I clean up. I check all OCR issues (wrong spellings, links, missing quotes, wrong accented words, smallcaps, wrong sub-/superscript, etc) in Word with my add-in, which results in a clean ePUB with only marginal touching up required in Sigil for styling. It automates a lot and really reduces my workload. Most of the stuff I cannot do in Sigil with the same level of automation, if at all.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Any errors at all are almost as bad as lots of them because they can be easy to overlook when there aren't so many of them.

One very common error is the chunck of the paragraph at the top of the second column being jammed into the first column often following the first paragraph. Sometimes the following paragraph of the second column follows. Sometimes not.

Not so easy to see because it just seems to follow too.

Also headings which migrate to the first column make life interesting.

The PDF cares not for logic only for display.

Last edited by mrmikel; 05-23-2014 at 09:14 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Yes. I meaned exactly fully-linked footnotes/endnotes, and it's the same situation for me. I wish I could avoid hand-checking but...
Yes, then, my answer is an unqualified, "NO." No, Abbyy does not meaningfully and perfectly export fully-linked, beauti-mous footnotes/endnotes. ;-0

And, like Toxaris, in many ways, I'd rather clean them up in Word than in HTML, but...everybody floats their own boat, if you know what I mean? We all become accustomed to using the tools we like/prefer/learned to use first. {shrug}. I try to adjust and adapt, adopt better/quicker/faster tools, but I find myself falling back into routine often.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote