Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #19021
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks for all the comments. I'll press on and see how is goes for the next fifty pages.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #19022
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I finished Getting Off: A Novel of Sex and Violence by Lawrence Block. I wouldn't say it was well written, but it was quite entertaining to say the least. Woman has sex with a man, then kills the man, rinse and repeat,repeat, repeat. With a few twists.

Now, I''m reading Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson, to finish his Spin trilogy.
Could not get very far into Vortex before giving up. Guess I just wasn't in the mood. So, I picked up a Harlequin Intrigue book. Cardwell Ranch Trespasser & Big Sky Standoff by B.J. Daniels. (2 books in 1 omnibus) Almost done the first book, and it's a mystery/light romance, a nice easy read. I think I will go straight into Big Sky Standoff when I'm done. I really like B.J. Daniels' books and will definitely be reading more.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 02-22-2014 at 03:29 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #19023
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I took another break and read Tale of the Witch Doll (Penny Parker Mystery Stories #1) by Mildred A. Wirt. Mildred A. Wirt was a ghost writer of many of the Nancy Drew Mysteries. Thanks to jersysman for making me aware of this 17 book series. All 17 of them are available as freebies at amazon and are also available in other formats from gutenberg.org. Continuing my break I've begun reading The Vanishing Houseboat (Penny Parker Mystery Stories #2) by Mildred A. Wirt.
I finished reading The Vanishing Houseboat and after researching Mildred Wirt a bit found a trio of YA mysteries (all amazon freebies) using another main character named Madge Sterling. I also found out that Mildred Wirt lived till she was 96 and worked as a journalist up to very near the end of her life. Next I'm going to read the first of the above trio, The Missing Formula (Madge Sterling Series #1) by Ann Wirt (a thinly disguised pen name).

Below, in the spoiler, there's a 1999 interview of Mildred Wirt from www.salon.com.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Friday, Oct 8, 1999
http://www.salon.com/1999/10/08/keene_q_a/

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-22-2014 at 06:37 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #19024
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Dover Beach by Richard Bowker and it was a great read.

Last edited by MickeyC; 02-23-2014 at 06:09 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #19025
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm halfway through City of Dragons, the third of four in the Rain Wilds Chronicles by Robin Hobb. I'm trying to finish this series before Kim Harrison's next Hollows release comes out on Tuesday, but I'm also sad because it's the last published Elderlings series and I've enjoyed them all.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #19026
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I did recognise all the stories, but the Lord Darcy stories are excellent magical mysteries. Well worth a re-read.

Next: Since I found I had it (a freebie from a few years back), the February MobileRead Book Club selection, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
OK, I'm 180 pages in, and I'm just not interested. If I was happier about the historical research, I might continue, but I constantly see anachronisms which pull me out of the story. If I'm reading historical fiction, I like to feel that any mistakes are minor and are despite diligent research. With this book I don't feel that at all. Abandoned.

Next up: Analog SFF, May 2014. (Yes, the May issue is out already!)

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-24-2014 at 01:49 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #19027
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Fair enough, Paul. I'm not sure I would have managed it in print form. Somehow, in audio form I was able to get past that. Also probably has something to do with having less concrete knowledge of the periods and locales involved.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #19028
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I finished both The Light Fantastic and The Day of the Jackal. Both great books. I recommend them.

I decided to sell a series of audiobooks that I own (most were library discards) and am doing a fast relisten to them. It's been awhile since I've used my 4th gen Nano for audiobooks and I forgot how to work it! Who would have thought? For actual reading, I'm alternating between the latest Asimov emagazine and I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia, a murder cozy featuring Amanda Pepper by Gillian Roberts. Her books are not great mysteries, but I love the snarkiness.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #19029
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Loved it. Definitely a good one in this exemplary series. I love that we're seeing more than just Phryne, here. So much of these stories are about the other characters, and in this one Ruth and Jane play bigger roles. And now there's Tinker. So this one gets 5 stars on my list, and I think I'll stick with Australia and read Outback, by Aaron Fletcher next.
Enjoying Outback quite a bit. I'm about 80% done, but took a slight detour to read 4 Elfhome short stories that I had in my TBR. I just wanted something shorter and lighter.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #19030
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I'm halfway through City of Dragons, the third of four in the Rain Wilds Chronicles by Robin Hobb. I'm trying to finish this series before Kim Harrison's next Hollows release comes out on Tuesday, but I'm also sad because it's the last published Elderlings series and I've enjoyed them all.
I am quite a ways behind you, partway through Ship of Magic but I am really liking Hobb's work. In reference to your comment of the last of the Elderlings series, you do know that there are new works coming right? starting with Fool's Assassin?

I guess technically the new books is a spoiler for us late folks since i can probably safely assume Fitz and the Fool with both be around at the end of the Tawny Man trilogy, haha.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #19031
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I am quite a ways behind you, partway through Ship of Magic but I am really liking Hobb's work. In reference to your comment of the last of the Elderlings series, you do know that there are new works coming right? starting with Fool's Assassin?

I guess technically the new books is a spoiler for us late folks since i can probably safely assume Fitz and the Fool with both be around at the end of the Tawny Man trilogy, haha.
Oh yes, but I do like reading them back to back, I've been spoiled! I prefer the multi-POV format more prevalent in Liveship/Rain Wilds so I'm hoping the new trilogy won't be *only* about Fitz and the Fool.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #19032
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
More than halfway through The Giver by Lois Lowry.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 AM   #19033
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I've had a little less time and energy for reading again these last few days, so I'm still on the book I started four days ago - Deadline by Mira Grant.
And finished that the other night - not as good as Feed, IMHO, but I still liked it and the ending kinda blew me away. Certainly not planning to wait another almost two years to read Blackout, the third (and final) book, especially since I've already got it.

Not going to read it immediately, though. Instead, last night I started Wild Things, the latest in Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series, which I'd pre-ordered ages ago and which had thus automagically appeared on my Kindle while I was still reading Deadline.

I could do without the romance-y parts of this series (not the least because I don't find the male love interest attractive at all), but I've enjoyed the series a whole lot more than I expected to when I first started it, and this one's no exception. I'm not done yet and I'm already looking forward to the next one, whenever it comes out (in August, I think)...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #19034
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Last week I read the second Amelia Peabody book, The Curse of the Pharaohs. I liked it more than the first book and the ending wasn't quite as predictable as with Crocodile on the Sandbank (not that I'm complaining it's nice not to worry about everyone dying for a change).

Yesterday I started Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #19035
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I finished both book club books last week:

Outlander - really disliked it, probably shouldn't have finished it.
Fools Crow - really liked it.

I've started reading The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay and The Cellist of Sarajevo by Stephen Galloway.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote