Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iRex Moving Support in House

Via i-to-i blog.

iRex is moving their support to their main office. Previously, their support was by a 3rd party company in Germany, who handled support for many companies. It appears that they're moving it in house to a specific support group that is much more familiar with the iLiad and it's internal workings. This should reduce "canned" responses and increase the overall quality of their support offering.

They have, however, discontinued their phone support. Hopefully, even this this development, the new support team will be more responsive, and be better equipped to handle support requests.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
It appears that they're moving it in house to a specific support group that is much more familiar with the iLiad and it's internal workings.
What a novel concept. (You should pardon the pun ... no, on second thought embrace the pun!)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
No phone support

So how exactly do they become more responsive then?

AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Via i-to-i blog.

iRex is moving their support to their main office. Previously, their support was by a 3rd party company in Germany, who handled support for many companies. It appears that they're moving it in house to a specific support group that is much more familiar with the iLiad and it's internal workings. This should reduce "canned" responses and increase the overall quality of their support offering.

They have, however, discontinued their phone support. Hopefully, even this this development, the new support team will be more responsive, and be better equipped to handle support requests.
Well, ummmm ... sure, because with no phone support they won't get so many ... and those they get, they can ignore in email.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:32 AM   #5
jbernaldo10375
jbernaldo10375 began at the beginning.

Device: Looking
Adam B, I can't work out how to make my iLiad select blocks of newspaper text like in the blue photo at the top of this thread. Does it require shell access to do this? Would I have to install another program?

Thanks in advance and apologies for being off topic. I have searched for the answer in other threads.
jbernaldo10375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
jbernaldo10375

oops I didn't mean to post twice

Last edited by jbernaldo10375; 08-30-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
For the record, a positive story because thes tend to not make it into forum posts:

A couple of months ago I suddenly had a large dark patch in my Iliad screen. Still fairly readable, but annoying and more difficult to read in low light conditions.

Communication with Irex-support was swift and clear through email. Within a few days I received a return box and a week later my Iliad was returned, fitted with a new screen.

I was very happy with the way they handled my case.

Andre
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Maybe a mixed blessing because they are ending phone support. In house support to me means iRex is committed to supporting the iLiad and future iLiads by believing in themselves. I'll assume they have felt and heard the cries of bad support and want to take back control and do the job right. It would be interesting to know if they are hiring new customer service reps to handle the emails. If there is just one person in a corner cube next to the mens bathroom handling customer complaints then I may adjust my thinking.

Last edited by timezone; 08-31-2008 at 01:47 PM.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernaldo10375 View Post
Adam B, I can't work out how to make my iLiad select blocks of newspaper text like in the blue photo at the top of this thread. Does it require shell access to do this? Would I have to install another program?
It's just a picture from a press release, there is no such functionality on the iLiad (yet).
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I think overall this is good news. Not outsourcing their support will probably fix a lot of the problems people have had with it in the past. However, like others, I'm concerned with the lack of phone support. In the past, contacting them via phone was the most reliable method. Emails/tickets would often get lost/ignored. Dropping phone support will only work, obviously, if their in house support group is a LOT better at responding to emails/tickets than the german company was.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
If there is just one person in a corner cube next to the mens bathroom handling customer complaints then I may adjust my thinking.
I think that's basically what the outsourced company in Germany was doing. It got kind of funny (in a sad way) after awhile. Did you ever notice that every time someone would post on here (or the iRex forum) with a support issue, it was always the same guys name that they were dealing with. Maybe there really was only one person?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
There were at least 2 that i know of
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
maybe only one of them spoke english :P
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:43 AM   #14
jbernaldo10375

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
It's just a picture from a press release, there is no such functionality on the iLiad (yet).
Thanks for explaining, Thomas. That's photo's been puzzling me for a long time. I like your new avatar!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernaldo10375 View Post
I like your new avatar!
Thanks! I think that's what they call a "Facebook"
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote