Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
CPRM - Your SD Card - Ebooks?

We are used to DRM as something contained within the file and independent
of the media we have it stored on. Here is an article that any of us that have
eReaders that use Flash/SD drives should take into consideration when buying
their next batch of SD cards:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...rKg4vFumI9ZGQA

I point this out now because of this tempting Geeks offering:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...T61C2D_20Mar13

I haven't heard that any ebook providers have joined in and are implementing
the code to use the keys and the additional server authentication the scheme
requires, but if it catches on with other content providers, it might not be long
before it is hard to avoid.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I think if it hasn't caught on after 12 years, it's probably not going to this year. Seems like everyone decided to stick with software-based keys.

Well, except for certain software companies and their infernal dongles.

Edited to add: But thanks for pointing me to Geeks.com because they have decent prices on CF cards. That will make my Oly DSLR happy.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 03-20-2013 at 11:42 AM.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I think if it hasn't caught on after 12 years, it's probably not going to this year. Seems like everyone decided to stick with software-based keys.

Well, except for certain software companies and their infernal dongles.

Edited to add: But thanks for pointing me to Geeks.com because they have decent prices on CF cards. That will make my Oly DSLR happy.
Lets hope that is the case, but I found it interesting that the product
description for the SD card included that CPRM was implemented on the card.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-20-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Lets hope that is the case, but I found it interesting that the product
description for the SD card included that CPRM was implemented on the card.

Luck;
Ken
That's not unusual, actually. The thing is, it was never implemented as a standard. I was able to find this from last year:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/26/andre_hedrick/

It isn't that we've gone away from the idea, it's just that it took a different path than the one those folks intended. We have an entire buffet of DRM schemes, across multiple types of media, but it is separated from the fixed hardware of the machine.

Edited to add after premature posting: I suspect that once the lid was blown off the ATA standard they were reaching for, it was no longer as interesting to the involved players. We're left with scattered implementation in SD cards.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 03-20-2013 at 12:08 PM.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
The Secure in Secure Digital is the CPRM encryption. It has to be specially formatted to use it, and it only means that if you were to buy an SD card with some sort of media files pre-installed on it, the manufacturer could use CPRM to protect their content. For general purpose use, CPRM never comes into play.

How Stuff Works explanation of CPRM and SD cards
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote