Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
xxidareyoutofly2
xxidareyoutofly2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9 32GB
E-Book covers on Kindle Fire HD 8.9

I have searched for an answer to my problem and have not had any success at all, so this is hopefully the last place I have to look for an answer!

I just bought a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 32GB (not the 4G version). It's running the most updated firmware. I'm running Calibre on a Windows 7 system.

I used to have a regular Kindle Fire and could use Calibre to put cover images of books on my device, so I assumed I'd be able to do the same to the Kindle Fire HD. I was wrong... almost.

When I select 'Books' on the Kindle Fire HD, I see a grid list of all of my books with their pretty, colorful book covers, just as I should see them. But once I select a book and it shows up on my carousel, the story isn't the same. I get this bland grayed out image that is Amazon standard that has the book title and author.

Why can I see the book covers in the grid list when combined with all of the other books (and even in my 'favorites' list) but not when they are in the carousel? I'm a very visual person so this just gets on my nerves.

I have tried reconverting and messing with all kinds of Calibre settings. I even tried converting to AZW3 instead of MOBI, but I just cannot figure this one out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
xxidareyoutofly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
FreeBoson
FreeBoson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I am having the same issue: after updating the cover using calibre and doing a mobi -> mobi conversion to embed the new cover, the cover shows up on the bookshelf but not on the carousel.

I have been searching all over for a solution to this, and I not found anything promising. There is a long discussion about this on the Amazon forums, where someone claims to have a "solution", though it does not seem to work for everyone:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x3AIUHVFZWEHJB

The claim is that there is an issue with the cover's aspect ratio or it does not meet a minimum resolution. I have tried a few different resolutions but they have not worked out for me.
FreeBoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
amycahill39
amycahill39 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Talking I FOUND THE SOLUTION PEOPLE!!!!XD

okay, i own a kindle fire hd, and this problem is really irritating. I found a way. Here's what you need to do:
1.Select a book cover from the internet where the size is no smaller than 900x1000 pixels or 1000x1000 pixels, it depends, but it got to be big.
2. After selecting, change the format to Mobi. If the format is already in Mobi, still convert it.
3.After converting, send it to device and BOOM!!! it's right there on the carousel! vivid and colorful! it will also show in library, and anywhere else! if it's still not in carousel, check library, then you'll see it's there. Not the dull grey Amazon standard, but your book cover!!!!!XD

(Important!: REMEMBER to pick a picture that is BIG, not the 300x500 type, the bigger ones! like 1000x1000 or more! That's the secret! )
amycahill39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
angryclouds
angryclouds began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Thumbs up perfect!

amycahill39, that worked perfectly! Now I have to go through the painstaking process of getting new covers for [I]all of my books. Thanks for the solution!
angryclouds is offline   Reply With Quote