Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #14086
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool J.K. Rowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just completed my re-read of Order of the Phoenix and am now starting a re-read of Half-Blood Prince.
I finished my re-read of Half-Blood Prince earlier today and am now on chapter 6 of a re-read of Deathly Hallows.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #14087
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin yesterday. I liked it much more than Left Hand of Darkness - it seemed to have a more comprehensible story to hang on to - but I don't think this sociological SF is ever going to really appeal to me. Interesting depiction of an anarchist society, even though I didn't ultimately think it could work.

Down to 12 Hugo winners, now.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #14088
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm into a Stephen King rush right now. I've watched the truly good movies back when he was hot but never really read any of it.

So last friday I bought a paperback (ugh) for Pet Sematary. I gulped it in one weekend. He's a truly skilled writer, no doubt. I've previously bought his Night Shift collection of short stories for the android Kindle reader, but didn't get much past Jerusalem's Lot. I think that story didn't really do it to me, despite opening the book. Now however I decided to read the stories out of order and am getting a much better kick out of it, though I feel King is really best as a novelist.

Thus I also bought The dead zone and am about 11% through it. Pure reading awesomeness like in so long. I'm now decided to read most of his classic material at least.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #14089
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Going back to the classics with The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #14090
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Going back to the classics with The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith.
Fun book, from which the BBC did a great television adaptation, a taster of which is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWc_Lhv2Mw.

I'm currently reading The Calling by Neil Cross. It is a novelisation of the (BBC again) TV series Luther, which is an excellent drama about a London-based police detective starring Idris Elba (also starred in The Wire). Cross wrote the TV scripts, and has now started a series based on the characer, of which this is the first, and which has just been shortlisted for the Ngaio Marsh Award.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #14091
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I finished my re-read of Half-Blood Prince earlier today and am now on chapter 6 of a re-read of Deathly Hallows.
I've fallen way behind. I'm still reading Order of the Phoenix
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #14092
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Fledgling, and now finished Saltation. Next up Ghost Ship I'm glad I did the re-read, I'm picking up stuff that I'd missed completely the first time through.
And Ghost Ship is done, on to the just released Dragon Ship. I read this as an eArc, but now reading it as part of going through the complete cycle of this story arc. I've definitely picked up on things I missed the first time through. And enjoying the whole process quite a bit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #14093
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #14094
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Well do they?

Reading Path Of The Assassin by Brad Thor.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #14095
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Before: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.
Now: I Love New York by Lindsey Kelk
Next: The Gunslinger by Stephen King (finaly in ebook!)
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #14096
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Nearly finished a reread of Illegal Alien by Robert J. Sawyer. It's been 12 years since I first read it and I am appreciating it even more this time. A highly unusual murder mystery.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #14097
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Sunsinger by Michelle Levigne.

This one has been in my TBR pile since August 2004! Most unusually, I can't find my receipt from fictionwise for this book (and three others obviously bought at the same time). It will be interesting to see if Fictionwise can turn up a record at their end for me. So I'm not sure how much I paid for this one, or even whether it was a freebie.
Fictionwise came up with the goods. It was one of four freebies I got from Fictionwise on 15 September 2004.

Disappointing. The SF elements were poorly done, and a fairly dull coming of age plot. The interesting story is just given in brief recap of events in one character's life. IMO, the author chose the wrong character as the protagonist. Most characters were drawn poorly, although there were good moments.

I won't be getting any of the other books in the series.

Next I read: Powder and Patch by Georgette Heyer

This is her third novel (her second novel seems to be unavailable. I think she didn't like it!). Wow. A splendid romantic romp will well depicted characters. Amazing for a third novel, and a great improvement on her first. A fun read, and I read three or four passages out loud to the people I was with at the time.

I definitely do not regret the increase in my TBR list from the Georgete Heyer sale.

And now: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling

I bought this when it first became available through Pottermore back in March 2012 (to replace my copy of "Harry Potter and the Unauthorised Ebook"). It's been a long time since I've read it, so it's time for a re-read, but I will be spreading them out, I think, rather than trying to read them all back-to-back.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #14098
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:

Holy smokes you read fast!!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #14099
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And Ghost Ship is done, on to the just released Dragon Ship. I read this as an eArc, but now reading it as part of going through the complete cycle of this story arc. I've definitely picked up on things I missed the first time through. And enjoying the whole process quite a bit.
Finished Dragon Ship. Excellent! Except it only leaves me wanting MORE and there won't be another in this story arc for months and months, since the next Liaden book will be a different story line entirely.

Next up: Klondike: The Last Great Gold Rush, 1896-1899 by Pierre Berton. All the Kate Shugak books I've been reading lately got me thinking about Alaska and the far north, so I hunted down this classic from one of the great historians of the north. Not available on Amazon to a US account, but available on Kobo to a Canadian account. (Thanks, Alf!)

Also, probably in parallel, at least one of the Heyer's I have on my TBR. I think An Infamous Army. Though I might try Powder and Patch, since pdurrant has just finished it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #14100
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool J.K. Rowling, G. Norman Lippert and Stephen King

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I've fallen way behind. I'm still reading Order of the Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
...And now: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling

I bought this when it first became available through Pottermore back in March 2012 (to replace my copy of "Harry Potter and the Unauthorised Ebook"). It's been a long time since I've read it, so it's time for a re-read, but I will be spreading them out, I think, rather than trying to read them all back-to-back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Holy smokes you read fast!!
Well I finished my re-read of Deathly Hallows earlier and have now completed my second re-read of the entire series. I feel I enjoyed it even more than my first two times through. Since G. Norman Lippert has announced the impending release of his fourth James Potter novel, James Potter and the Morrigan Web (a free download) this Autumn, I am considering a re-read of his first three. But first I've begun reading Stephen King's 11/22/63: A Novel, and am already in the middle of Chapter 3. It really is an interesting read so far!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote