Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #31
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Yes overdrive does lock into portrait,which is great..but why buy a book from the Kobo store and then be forced to read it sidewatpys?
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #32
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Most overseas flights have power available, both USB and 120VAC, on the seatback in front of you so it is no problem reading for the whole duration.

You can't compare the battery life of e-ink and backlit LCD devices. Apples and oranges.

You can lock the orientation of the Kobo Vox overall in the settings IIRC.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #33
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast
ronlizpatsimon began at the beginning.

I have read that a USB socket (at least on a PC) cannot provide power for the battery. You have to use the supplied mains power cable.
ronlizpatsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I think reading at a red traffic light when I'm stopped is not much of a hazard. I don't read while the car is moving. There are lights I get stuck at where I have to wait for 3 cycles of the light before I get to go through them.
You may think that, but the law almost certainly thinks otherwise. Being alert, aware of your surroundings, and in full control of the vehicle is generally a legal (as well as a common-sense) requirement while driving, whether you are movin or stationary. I don't know what your local laws are, but in the UK you can be (and people have been) prosecuted for drinking from a bottle of water while stopped at traffic lights, on the grounds that you are not in control of your vehicle as a result of doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #35
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alans View Post
I can use my Kindle for a month and the battery lasts.
Is the Kindle an e-ink device, or the same screen as the Vox? Kobo also has readers that last a month, but they're e-ink, no web browsing or apps.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #36
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Yes overdrive does lock into portrait,which is great..but why buy a book from the Kobo store and then be forced to read it sidewatpys?
If you've been installing all the updates, the Vox reader can be locked in portrait mode. In addition to the native Vox reader, I also have Overdrive, Kindle and Aldiko and have them all locked in portrait mode. You have to do it in the settings for each individual reader, not the Vox settings.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #37
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

The people at Kobo told me you can't do it. How do you get the latest update? I was
also told that you can't use the kindle app for reading books on the Vox.I've tried to download the Kindle app for reading and it never works for me.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #38
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
The people at Kobo told me you can't do it. How do you get the latest update? I was
also told that you can't use the kindle app for reading books on the Vox.I've tried to download the Kindle app for reading and it never works for me.
I have the Kindle app on my Vox and have no problem using it.

I downloaded the latest version from the Good eReader app page here. With this latest version of the app, Amazon also gave me a Kindle email address and I can now use their personal document service on the Vox. (Note, changing @kindle.com to @free.kindle.com also works, and ensures you don't pay for sending documents to the app.) I'm not sure when PDS because available to Canadians, but I know it's relatively new (if not brand new.)

Anyway, the first page of that section seems to have been taken over with Playbook apps. The Androids apps, including the Kindle app, is on the next page.

Last edited by Suzanna; 04-19-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #39
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Suzanna and Alans, I haven't been able to get that latest version of the Kindle app (3.5) to work on my Vox, and I've tried twice already. I have been using the old one I picked up at the following link since I got my Vox and it has worked all along and continues to work. However, 3.5 just crashes relentlessly, which is too bad because it looks nicer and I think it offers more features. Anyway, 1.1 has worked all along so I guess I'll continue with that.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...pps-and-tools/
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #40
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I originally had that app, too, Kat, but didn't have any difficulty upgrading. Very strange. FWIW, I do have the latest firmware on the Vox.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #41
workworkwork
workworkwork began at the beginning.

I have been very satisfied with my vox. i have had no issues and quick responses to my email enquiries. Not fair to call it crap - just defective.
workworkwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #42
leewain
leewain began at the beginning.

How do I delete this ?

Last edited by leewain; 05-04-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: original post was not relevant.
leewain is offline   Reply With Quote