Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Travis McGee on Audible

Audible has just released the first seven of the Travis McGee novels of John D. MacDonald. Narrated by Robert Petkoff, I listened to a sample and it sounded reasonably good.

The Travis McGee books are classics, and even though some of his ideas are a bit dated by now, he is, in many ways, the first, and ultimate, Libertarian. A cross between beach bum and Robin Hood, I guess, but somehow more than that really describes. I recently re-read A Deep Blue Good-bye, the first of the 21 colours of McGee, and thoroughly enjoyed it, within the limits of understanding when it was written.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Am I right that the Travis McGee books aren't available digitally? If so, that's a crime!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So far as I'm aware, there are no legal eBook versions of these books. So your only non-paper solution is the Audible versions.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've looked all over for eBook versions of his novels but with no luck. Travis McGee was the character that got me hooked on reading. I picked up The Dreadful Lemon Sky out of curiosity over what it was about with that title then bought it and have been addicted to books every since.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
I first read the Travis McGee books in the late 70s, and decided to start re-reading them a year or two ago. But, of course, no ebook versions available. So, I figured I might as well create my own while I was in the process of re-reading them (I own the paper books set). I've scanned in the first 10, and have proofread the first 5 so far, turning them into beautiful, simple, clear typo-free HTML. I figure I'll want to re-read them at least once more before my eyes stop working, and this way I'll have them when that time comes.

It's too bad the people that own the publishing rights have a stick up their butt (or wait, is that their head?), as I'd gladly have paid $2.99 apiece to buy them again in e-book form. Their loss. (Although I suspect my self-made e-book copies are much nicer than any they'd produce anyway, certainly with fewer typos and formatting errors!)
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well done! I only have a few of them left as paperbacks, though I've owned them all at one time or another. I also looked everywhere for eBook versions, and found plenty on the darknet, but no legal ones I could buy. And I just didn't want to go there. So, I may well grab these on Audible, since they'd make perfect books to listen to while exercising.

Tags
audible, john d. macdonald, travis mcgee