Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #211
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
If you filter Apps by their path, how you make android settings to show?

Thanks for you're code link, but I'm not good enough to follow. Would be good if you could write short but detailed guide.
I just put the settings app on a dedicated button, but i guess it would be possible to filter by (path.beginsWith('/system/') && !name.equals('Settings')) or something similar.

I'm not really the right person to write a guide (I haven't even managed to write a good readme yet ), but if you want to modify android apps I'd recommend reading up on apktool and smali/baksmali. A dalvik op code reference is good to have handy. Some familiarity with writing assembly in general helps too, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermaus View Post
Hi All

Above there are people (blz; thoreau) mentioning problems with the homescreen mod and the last firmware, but its not listed as a warning in first post.

So just to make sure: Can I expect it to work, or is it expected to fail? Are above people the exception or the rule?

Thanks
Some people seem to have had problems with the newest firmware but not everyone. My aim is to have a new version ready this weekend (aforementioned computer problem: more or less resolved).
Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #212
Yoths
Enthusiast
Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl
My aim is to have a new version ready this weekend
Morkl, when you build the new version of the Reader app, perhaps you can use as base the version from the latest Russian firmware (2.0.00.14070) since it can read EPUB and FB2.
This Reader version is included in the Rupor's package: Source, Forum (Google translation)

Thank you for your great work!

Last edited by Yoths; 03-01-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #213
Le_Tigre
Le_Tigre began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
The highlight length is hard coded, but easy to fix in a modified Reader app. I will include "unlimited highlight length" in the next version of my modified Reader.
Cheers!
- though im still waiting, i'd love to see the char limit removed!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #214
cybermaus
cybermaus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Works great (on my rooted 1.0.04.12210 device)

Many thanks for the great home-mod. Thanks!

However, I suspect the xml has a small typo, I am pretty sure the 'Settings' on the 3rd page is supposed to be 'System Settings'.

After all, why else is app_syssetting defined? It also fits nicely with the other 'android' specific stuff on that page, and the fact the normal settings is already on the 2nd page.

Code:
		<launcherFavApps>
			<!-- App buttons on top of app drawer -->
			<item>app_rootexplorer</item>
			<item>app_term</item>
			<item>app_syssetting</item>
			<item>app_dropbox</item>
		</launcherFavApps>

Edit: BTW: Where did the 'purchased' button go? I did not see it in the pre-defined app list at the bottom?

Last edited by cybermaus; 03-05-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #215
EcceGallo
EcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1 sony
First of all thanks for the work.
Second of all, sorry to interject your request/work with my newbiesh question (maybe there's a more appropriate thread? just point me there and I'll vanish).

I have the home screen pack, am I understanding correctly that I can change the function of the various button (say I got wikipedia in home page, and I'd like to change it with preferences or w/e)? If yes, how do I do that?

Secondly, I'm thinking about downloading the reader pack, but I'm not really sure what it does, aside from letting you change the fonts.

Also, if I can put forward request they'll be:

I love the status bar(actual page counter, clock, battery %) at the bottom of FBReader, but I hate the reader itself, is it possible to get it in the standard reader?

A little more detailed explanation of what packs do and how to make them do that would be great.

Besides, great work really.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #216
blz
blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.

Hello,

just like EcceGallo, "I love the status bar(actual page counter, clock, battery %)", and also the ability of sending a selection in Evernote (which is working perfectly well - may be the wiki should be updated),
I wonder if this may be implemented; may be in replacement of the link to google, or to "add note" box?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #217
Ph1r3ph0x
Ph1r3ph0x began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-T1
Hi Morkl,
Nice work you did there However I found a little bug that you might not now about.
In the modified reader App, if you zoom in and move around, it refreshes the screen, just like it does in the original App. But if you move again, it doesn't refresh, leaving me with a quite unreadable font This is quite annoying, if you use the reader to navigate through a pdf file in zoomed mode and have to return to normal mode everytime you want to change the current position.

Also, would it be possible, to make a multi-touch rotate gesture? (Use two fingers in a rotate gesture to actually rotate the current view)
On my search i came along THIS, but I don't know if that's of any help.

Greetz Ph1r3ph0x

P.s.: I actually really like the simple small percentage gauge the kindle has down there Do you think, there is any way to get this in the reader app?
+ as written brefore me already a clock would be quiiiite nice
Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #218
rostamiani
rostamiani began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
How can I add Periodicals to the buttons ?
Waht word shoud I write in the xml file ?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #219
EcceGallo
EcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1 sony
So, I wanted to change the button in the various menu of the modified home, and the info were in fact already available in the thread. I'll sum the process here for the newbies like me.

Changing buttons on modified home package

1. Download and unzip the homescreen package
2. Navigate to homemod.xml and open it with notepad
3. It's fairly easy to recognize the structure of the section in the code thanks to comment left there by Morkl Himself.
4. Just change the items of the section with what you're interested (you can also change the name of the section). A comprehensive list of stock apps is at the bottom, custom ones are just a few line up. (and Morkl is a genius)

ex. You want to change the Wiki with Periodicals, you'll have to change "app_wiki" into "app_periodical"

5. Overwrite the changes into the xml file, put the homemod folder in the reader folder and run flashbat to install (if you have already installed the home pack, just delete the old homemod, I did and it worked just fine).

Hope this could be of help and prevent some quasi-tough thread scavenging.

Btw I'm italian and changing the name of the menu resulted in an accented word, which is not valid for xml, so pay attention to it.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #220
Foddy
Foddy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Morkl,
Thanks for the good work. I like the modified homescreen muchmore than the original one and also more than the new homescreen.

There is just one minor problem, I have:

I've configured OpenSudoku as follows:

<customAppDefinition name="app_sudoku" title="Sodoku">
<iconNormal>ic_sudoku.png</iconNormal>
<iconPressed>ic_sudoku.png</iconPressed>
<componentName package="cz.romario.opensudoku" class="cz.romario.opensudoku.gui.FolderListActivit y" />
<intentAction>android.intent.action.MAIN</intentAction>
<intentCategory>android.intent.category.LAUNCHER </intentCategory>
</customAppDefinition>

I can start sudoku with the new button. But once sudoku is running the home button doesn't work any more. To leave sudoku I have to press the back button several times.

Does anybody have a solution for this problem?
Did I miss something in my configuration?
Is there a failure in my configuration?

Thanks in advance, Foddy
Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #221
WarGhSt
WarGhSt began at the beginning.

Is this project still in development? As I'm nowhere near the tech level as you are Morkl I've been watching this thread and your sourceforge page for new updates. But I haven't seen anything new! I was really looking forward to seeing more!

As a side note, is it possible to incorporate just the font fix without getting the new reader app. etc?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #222
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Updated Reader app, anytime soon?

Morkl, can we have a re-comepiled-based-on-latest-firmware-Reader-app version anytime soon???

Here's why: I've been having a few issues with the modified Reader app since the latest firmware update, problems that didn't appear at all before the update. I read on T1 a few hours a day, sometimes even more than that, just FYI in terms of my usage level.

- Screen looks very washed-out -- font display isn't clear, but rather looks like rubbed on with an eraser half way or something -- especially after reading for a while (going out to the home screen and coming back to reading doesn't help). At first I thought it was a hardware issue, but outside the modified Reader app, the font display is fine.

- After reading for a long while (over dozens of hours at least, involving visits to the home screen, using web browser, and lots of other activities in between), all of a sudden, in the modified Reader app, I suddenly get the round rotating arrows in the middle of the screen, and can't get out the loop no matter what. The only way out that I found is to press on the reset hole for over 15 secs or so, and then press the power button to reset & reboot. I lose the reading position in the book (the current-reading book opens in the position where I last went out to the home screen), but at least I can get out of the rotating-arrow loop that way. So far I encountered this problem three times, and had never encountered it before the firmware update.

My T1 isn't rooted, but only has the modified Reader app with custom fonts (my default is PTSerif). The refresh setting is 6, and I turn the pages mostly with buttons but sometimes mixed with screen swipe. Hope this helps, and I wish to see a new version of the modified Reader app soon. It doesn't have to be a feature update, as long as it's based on whatever the latest firmware has. Please!

Last edited by soseono; 03-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #223
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hope everything is ok with morkl, he's been MIA for a while.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #224
dmiller
Enthusiast
dmiller began at the beginning.

Calibre and Morkl's modified reader

Has anyone else had trouble with the font selection option disappearing on Calibre-produced epub files? I'm not sure whether this is a problem with Morkl's modified reader or an issue with Calibre. Is there a Calibre setting re: over-riding fonts in epub files?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #225
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
Has anyone else had trouble with the font selection option disappearing on Calibre-produced epub files? I'm not sure whether this is a problem with Morkl's modified reader or an issue with Calibre. Is there a Calibre setting re: over-riding fonts in epub files?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'disappearing' but if it's just that changing font has no effect, the most likely problem is that your particular epub's css file contains a specific named font-family (e.g. font-family:"Times New Roman") rather than the more generic font-family:serif or font-family:sans-serif. This is a common problem if the original source was an MSWord file.

To correct it you can either open up the epub and edit the css manually (using Calibre's Tweak epub option or Sigil), or do an epub-to-epub conversion with the Fonts box checked on the Convert - Look&Feel - Filter Style Info tab. Personally, I prefer the former but if you're not comfortable editing epubs then the latter should do the trick.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-30-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Closed Thread