Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
MegaSilver
MegaSilver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I am having the same problem with not being able to download from within Aldiko browser on Library website. From what I am reading, it looks like to get it to work you have to download the epub on your computer then transfer the acsm to the Vox. Any way doing it only on the Vox?
MegaSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I am having the same problem with not being able to download from within Aldiko browser on Library website. From what I am reading, it looks like to get it to work you have to download the epub on your computer then transfer the acsm to the Vox. Any way doing it only on the Vox?
You can download the acsm directly to the Vox from within the Aldiko app using the book's download button. For that, you must have an Adobe Digital editions username & password, enter it into the appropriate menu in Aldiko so that downloads of DRM'd product are verified against your userid. You use the "catalog" menu in Aldiko to get to your download page for the book. The url link to your public library once entered as a catalog, will open a browser window which allows you to navigate to the book download page and then wirelessly obtain the book onto the Vox.

Naturally, you could also use Overdrive app which will allow the book to download too, it's just that the reader app does not have all the features Aldiko has.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
MegaSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You can download the acsm directly to the Vox from within the Aldiko app using the book's download button. For that, you must have an Adobe Digital editions username & password, enter it into the appropriate menu in Aldiko so that downloads of DRM'd product are verified against your userid. You use the "catalog" menu in Aldiko to get to your download page for the book. The url link to your public library once entered as a catalog, will open a browser window which allows you to navigate to the book download page and then wirelessly obtain the book onto the Vox.

Naturally, you could also use Overdrive app which will allow the book to download too, it's just that the reader app does not have all the features Aldiko has.
I have gotten Overdrive working, just like the Aldiko interface better.

I have my ADE username password entered into Aldiko, and have setup my public library as a catalog. When I click it it opens the browser window and brings me to the bank login page. I log in, find my book, but when I click on DOWNLOAD, nothing happens.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you say "nothing happens" do you mean no download, no message?
Are you sure you have input the correct username? password?
If your Aldiko app has the correct info in the Adobe DRM menu, when you tap Aldiko's menu, select settings, tap Adobe DRM, you should see a box that says "DeAuthorize Device". If you do not see this box, your Vox is not going to be able to download DRM'd books.
If the device is correctly authorized look at the following:
Which browser does your Aldiko app link to when you open your library url in the catalog? Mine is Dolphin...in the Dolphin "settings", in "Data storage settings", tap "download directory" to set where to save downloaded files. My choice is: /mnt/sdcard/download (this is the Vox's internal sd card not the 16 gb card I added after purchase). Aldiko saves books in this directory so your storage settings on the Vox's menu & browser settings should be set to same.
On the Vox home screen, tap menu button (4 horizontal lines), tap manage apps, select Aldiko. My app's storage is set to the SD card: this means that the box next to "clear data" says "move to Kobo Reader".
Also, on the off chance that you have too many devices authorized in ADE, how many times have you registered devices (pc, Vox, e-ink reader etc.)? Have you gone over the limit (6 devices)? In that case you would have to remove one to allow the Vox to be used to download drm'd books.
Hope this helps you!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-20-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
MegaSilver

When I say nothing happens, I mean the Download button is highlighted when I click it, but I don't see anything downloading in the status bar, and no message. I verified that Aldiko has my ADE username password. I see "DeAuthorize Device". I have only authorized ADE to this Vox through Overdrive and Aldiko. I don't know what browser Aldiko is using. I have Dolphin installed, but not setup as default. I went into Dolphin and confirmed the download path you stated.
I also have Aldiko on the SD card, as I see the "Move yo Kobo eReader" button.

Here is what I do.

I launch Aldiko and click on "My catalogs"
I have one catalog, pointed at http://overdrive.stcatharines.library.on.ca
I click that and a browser opens to that site. The menu system is that of Aldiko. I see "View in Browser", "Close", "Back", "Forward", "Home".
I click the Login link. My library card number and PIN are saved. I click the Login button.
I can see items in "My Digital Media Items Out" that I have out through Overdrive.
I find a book I want, and click on "add to cart", then "Proceed to Checkout", then "Confirm check out". I click on "Download". briefly see the address bar change to "ofs.contentserve.com" and see blue rapidly progress from left to right accross the address. And that's it. No download in the status bar. No messages. I check the download folder. Nothing.

Also, if I try to import ePub files in Aldiko that I have downloaded in Overdrive, I get a "Could not load file" errror
Old 01-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
Cdesja5
Wizard

It sounds as if your download doesn't start. When I click download in my library account bookshelf (from within Aldiko) I get a black box in the middle of my screen which has a status bar and get 3 successive messages as the status bar shows progress:
- importing
- downloading file
- adding to bookshelf
and then I see the book listing in Aldiko
In your browser settings (if the browser that opens is the Vox stock browser), do you have cookies enabled? For enable plug-ins, do you have always on?
How about selecting Dolphin as your default? Then we would be comparing apples to apples for the download piece?
how long do you wait for the download to start? how strong is your wireless signal? Lots of questions but since we must be set up somewhat differently, am trying to figure out why your download doesn't start...
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
Cdesja5
Wizard

I just got 4 books from the library and was able to download 3 of them, but for the fourth one, when I tap, the link doesn't work. Which leads me to think there is a problem with the book's link so I will have to email the library tech support about it.
Are you trying to load only 1 book that doesn't work or have you tried any others?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Another gotcha (and this will definitely involve contacting your library) is that overdrive only allows a certain number of download attempts for a given item. My library initially had this set to 3 and after that, the library would have to go in and re-enable the download button (it would be grayed out after 3 attempts). Now, overdrive has upped this to 30 so we rarely have to re-enable the button for our users but I have no idea if this change was global or per library.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
Cdesja5
Wizard

You're right about the 3 downloads per book, I've had that happen recently and it's still the same number (for my library).
I found out what that 4th book's problem was... It's not a DRM'd book, it an "open" book (first time I have come across this) and is downloaded by right clicking the link...which I can't do in the Aldiko browser. I therefore downloaded using Dolphin browser directly but can't find it!!! I've looked everywhere for it with a file explorer; it supposedly went to the Overdrive folder but I don't see it. I had to download it to the computer and add it to Aldiko with the usb cable in the end.