Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #361
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
opds catalog update

The latest update (cr3_0_51_30) says that support for catalogs generated by calibre2opds is fixed. I didn't know that Coolreader ever supported custom catalogs.

I use calibre2opds with Aldiko and would love to have this option on Coolreader (or even the Calibre content server). Does anyone know how to get this working on Coolreader? I'm using the latest version of Coolreader on CM7 Nook color.

Thanks!
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #362
skrk1
skrk1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel Black (android 1.5)
coolreader on pandigital novel black (android 1.5)

Have Tryed all versions of coolreader on source forge ,anytime attempting to change any option, app crashes back to desktop. Was wondering if there
is any file or program missing in Android 1.5 to get This to Work. Or
is This Problem With coolreader?
Seen it mentioned a few times ,but no answer was given to fix Problem.
skrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #363
Helsing
Helsing began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Kobo Touch, Cool Reader
Embedded fonts

Is it possible to use embedded fonts in Cool Reader.

Now everything uses my selected font.

I can see the extra fonts in ebook-viewer from calibre.

I am refering to the Android version of Cool Reader.

Last edited by Helsing; 11-14-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Helsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #364
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
Another request, with some context first:

I have a bunch of .lit files. Coolreader can't read them, but I have the program "convertlit" (also known as "clit") to convert them to html, and "lit2epub" continues to make an .epub from that.
However, for some reason Coolreader said there was an error in the epub file. So instead I tried to read the output from convertlit directly. It makes a bunch of .html files, and an .opf file to link them together. Just as is present in an .epub file.

So: it would be nice if Coolreader could read starting from an .opf file directly. It probably can do this directly, since they are in .epub files already. So this would enable to read expanded .epub files, too.

I hope you like my idea, thanks!

Edit: I tried "lit2epub" on several .lit files, and CoolReader failed on all of them. I made a log file with the Linux amd64 version, and I pasted it at http://pastebin.com/16GBpHdT . Maybe it tells you what's wrong...

Last edited by RhialtoFalu; 12-02-2011 at 06:50 AM.
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #365
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhialtoFalu View Post
Another request, with some context first:

I have a bunch of .lit files. Coolreader can't read them, but I have the program "convertlit" (also known as "clit") to convert them to html, and "lit2epub" continues to make an .epub from that.
However, for some reason Coolreader said there was an error in the epub file. So instead I tried to read the output from convertlit directly. It makes a bunch of .html files, and an .opf file to link them together. Just as is present in an .epub file.

So: it would be nice if Coolreader could read starting from an .opf file directly. It probably can do this directly, since they are in .epub files already. So this would enable to read expanded .epub files, too.

I hope you like my idea, thanks!

Edit: I tried "lit2epub" on several .lit files, and CoolReader failed on all of them. I made a log file with the Linux amd64 version, and I pasted it at http://pastebin.com/16GBpHdT . Maybe it tells you what's wrong...
I would recommend using calibre for converting from lit to epub I never had any problems with epubs from lit converted with calibre
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #366
mabl
mabl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Hello everybody,

I just installed Coolreader cr3-0-45-07 and shortly after upgreated to cr3.0.53-18.apk on a new rooted Nook Touch with firmware 1.1.0.

Turning pages looks really strange on it, a bit like turning a book page with quite a lot of artifacts. I am not sure if this is a problem with the new firmware, or if it's some kind of animation which is hard to see with the slow eink display.

Is this problem already known? I googled but found nothing... Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
mabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #367
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabl View Post
Is this problem already known? I googled but found nothing... Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Try turning off "page animation" in the "options" setup. I am using Cool Reader on a Nook Color and and on an HTC Desire, so I do not see page turning artifacts, but I can imagine that those could be a bit of a distraction on an E-Ink screen.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #368
mabl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Try turning off "page animation" in the "options" setup.
Hello Dave,

unfortunately I have no settings options for animations, probably because it doesn't make sense on the nook anyway. Do you have an idea on how to reset the configuration of Coolreader? Uninstalling did not help
Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #369
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabl View Post
Do you have an idea on how to reset the configuration of Coolreader? Uninstalling did not help
Just delete the ".cr3" folder when you uninstall CoolReader. If you have an SD card then CoolReader stores all it's configuration information in a folder called ".cr3". The leading "." makes that folder invisible to some native Android file management programs. If you connect to the SD card on your reader via a USB cable from a Windows PC the ".cr3" folder is easily visible. If you do not have an SD card, then CoolReader will use your internal storage for the ".cr3" folder, but I do not know the precise location since I have never done it that way.

Last edited by Dave_S; 12-02-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: TYPO
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #370
mabl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Just delete the ".cr3" folder
Thank you for the hint
Code:
crengine.page.animation
was indeed set to true. Changing the line to 0 solved my problem
Old 12-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #371
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
The latest update (cr3_0_51_30) says that support for catalogs generated by calibre2opds is fixed. I didn't know that Coolreader ever supported custom catalogs.

I use calibre2opds with Aldiko and would love to have this option on Coolreader (or even the Calibre content server). Does anyone know how to get this working on Coolreader? I'm using the latest version of Coolreader on CM7 Nook color.

Thanks!

Just figured this out. In case there are any other dummies like myself out there:

To use calibre content server or calibre2opds on cool reader, go to online catalogs, long press on any of the catalogs and it'll bring up a menu and select new catalog. Then give it a name and provide a url - same as in Aldiko, Mantano, fbreader etc... Easy as pie.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #372
moa3
moa3 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Missing sections in .mobi files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nak View Post
Hi! First off, I love this App! Best reader on any device, period. I'm having one problem though: On certain Epub books, multiple sections of text are missing. Where the text is missing, there's blank space. The text shows just fine when opening the book in other readers. If I convert the book to .mobi, it displays just fine.

The books in question are DRM free, and were converted to epub from .prc with calibre. I converted to epub, because Cool Reader could not open the .prc files for some reason.

I'm using the latest version of Cool Reader on a HTC Inspire.

Thanks!!!!!!!
Hello, I do love Cool Reader too, especially for the smooth page turns on my nook touch which works better than the original nook reader app.
Unfortunately, I can't use it really because I'm having that same strange behavior quoted above except that the missing sections are on .mobi files.
Those parts were missing on many different .mobi files on the Nook and on my Nexus One.
I have more than a thousand .mobi eBooks and I'd love to be able to read them with cool reader without having to convert them all.
I'm using CR 3.0.53-14 and I'd be glad to make a donation if I could have a fix for this awkward problem.

Thanks for your help
moa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #373
septemberbrain
septemberbrain began at the beginning.

Device: Sont PRS-505
How to search with coolreader

Just installed Coolreader 3.0.53-18 on my nook tablet. Really like it instead of the built in ereader on the nook. One gripe is the search functionality. When I try to use the GoTo or highlight a word the option to search the whole book for that word does not seem to be there. I found a tapkey for search but that seems to only search for the next or previous occurrence of the word. Anyone know how I can bring up a list of pages where a word might appear in the book with this app?

Thanks,

David
septemberbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #374
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I would recommend using calibre for converting from lit to epub I never had any problems with epubs from lit converted with calibre
Thanks, I tried that and it worked! Calibre had some complaints about the files I was converting. Slightly different things about the different files I tried, but it was about some missing file or other thing in each of them.
FBreader and Calibre's own ebook-viewer had no apparent problems with the files before conversion, though. I suppose they just ignore the missing bits.

Edit/clarification: I tried converting "bad epub" to "epub", which is what gave the complaints I mentioned. I also tried to convert from the original .lit files to .epub. The resulting files were similar but not identical.

Last edited by RhialtoFalu; 12-04-2011 at 05:59 PM.
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #375
scdill
scdill began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post

Just figured this out. In case there are any other dummies like myself out there:

To use calibre content server or calibre2opds on cool reader, go to online catalogs, long press on any of the catalogs and it'll bring up a menu and select new catalog. Then give it a name and provide a url - same as in Aldiko, Mantano, fbreader etc... Easy as pie.
What do you use for the url? I have been trying for weeks to get Cool Reader to work with my nooks and I cannot. I have used several different releases including the latest (cr3.0.53-18.apk). I have tried 192.168.X.X:8080 , 192.168.X.X:8080/OPDS , with and without the preceeding http:// and several other variations (my server being at 192.168.X.X and calibre using default port 8080). I have no trouble using Aldiko.

Last edited by scdill; 12-05-2011 at 08:24 AM.
scdill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader