Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Neal Stephenson REAMDE copy editing too bad to sell?

Neal Stephenson E-Book Yanked From Amazon
Looks like amazon has actually pulled the latest Neal Stephenson book from their store. The rumor is that this is due to horrendous copy editing. It would be nice to see this bring appropriate attention to this widespread problem.
Quote:
William Morrow/HarperCollins has pulled Neal Stephenson's brand-new book, Reamde, off Amazon after, one would guess, getting tired of hearing about just how many errors there are in the e-book production. (It's not clean.) Now the e-book version is no longer visible at all to U.S. visitors to Amazon, and appears as "unavailable in the U.S." to mobile viewers. (This was first noticed late last night by Macworld editorial director Jason Snell.) Reamde is #36 in books overall on Amazon this morning, so removal of the e-book, even temporarily, is a serious financial choice.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
it looks like it's still available to me, I didn't click "buy" to see if it would go through though.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
What do you expect for 17 bucks?

But seriously, this book was released early, accidently, in the UK about 2-3 weeks ago and the problem was reported to Amazon then.

http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comme...a_book_due_to/

I know it's not their responsibility, but seems like they could do a little arm twisting if nothing else.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
That's weird. I started reading my UK Kindle store bought copy on Monday. I'm only about 100 pages in so far. I've noticed one or two little errors but nothing on the scale that would have me screaming. (Certainly not like the Star Trek book I nearly bought. The free sample for that was terrifying).

Maybe it gets worse further in. I'll carry on and see.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
mrbanana
Enthusiast
mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 505
I'm reading American epub version (Harper Collins) ISBN: 9780062101341. I can't say I've noticed that many spelling errors. I think you kind of get immune to them after a while reading ebooks.

Is it just the Kindle version that has problems, or is the epub edition too? (I only ask because, I vaguely remember there was a problem with the Kindle LOTR ebooks, but not the epub editions, as they were not sourced from the same proofs.)

I love Stephenson's earlier work, but stalled part way through Cryptonomicon and bought but never read the Baroque Cycle. It's on my reading list though. I'm about 40% though Reamde and I'm starting to find it...well, a bit boring and preposterous. I understand why he belaboured the role playing nature of the game early on in the book, but now everyone's running around China and it's page after page of endless description, which tends to make me glaze over. I subscribe to the Elmore Leonard school of writing.

Of course, if the new Jack Reacher book hadn't just come out, and I hadn't just bought it, and it wasn't calling to me, maybe I'd be a bit more patient with Reamde.
mrbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I'm nearly 200 pages through the UK Kindle edition and I'm seeing no problems.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It was still available to me this morning. I bought it because I forgot all about its release date.

Hope to get started on it soon.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I bought the US Kindle version - didn't open it yet - and today Amazon sent me an email announcing they wanted to replace it with a new corrected copy - also claimed the original version had missing content. So anyone who bought the original Kindle copy should be getting emails to authorize a replacement copy.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
According to a posting in the review section for the book on Amazon, the ebook version is 'missing content'. This is according to an email sent by Amazon to one of the people who bought the ebook.

I look forward to reading it -- but I'm not paying $17 for the book. Looks like I'll have to try out that new library thing.

------------------
[Edited: Damn poohbear beat me, and it apparently took me 9 minutes to write four sentences.]

Last edited by Daithi; 09-29-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
What do you expect from a book that has a typo in the title??

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm assuming I got the corrected version since I bought it this morning.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I love Stephenson's earlier work, but I couldn't finish Anathem. I saw this one in my local independent bookstore this week, but the $35 cover price killed the deal for me. Likewise $17 is a dealbreaker for an e-book. I'll pick it up once the paperback (hopefully) brings the e-book price down to something more reasonable.

I have been noticing a lot of typos in recent e-books; there were several in A Dance with Dragons. Just goes to show that no matter how prominent the book, there's always a few mistakes that slip through the editing process. Makes me feel a bit better about the gaffes that end up in my own writing, actually.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
What do you expect from a book that has a typo in the title??

eP
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
I have been noticing a lot of typos in recent e-books; there were several in A Dance with Dragons.
The Harper-Collins ePub was awful.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
I got an email from Amazon offering an updated version.

Funnily enough, where it lists the ISBN and almost all books say "E-book" Edition/Version/Whatever it is listed as "EPub Edition". At least in the uncorrected edition, haven't received the new one yet.

Last edited by replica145; 09-29-2011 at 12:54 PM.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote