Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse 8 15.09%
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurk Vonnegut 22 41.51%
Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres 2 3.77%
The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton 6 11.32%
Life of Pi by Yann Marte 2 3.77%
Ask the Dust (1939) by John Fante 0 0%
The Help by Kathryn Stockett 6 11.32%
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh 3 5.66%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 0 0%
Hounded by Kevin Hearne 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Turk what?
KURK VONNEGUT

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just noticed that everyone reading the August winning eBook is reading the wrong book by the wrong author. You should be reading the winning eBook by the author Kurk Vonnegut. The book written by Kurt Vonnegut did not win. Sorry I did not notice this earlier before some have wasted their time reading the wrong eBook.
Jon, you're slipping. I made the mistake on purpose to see how long it would take you to see it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #48
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Oh yes, there's a movie. I saw it back in the early 70's. Don't remeber much of it except that I did like it a lot back then. I was in my teens and that's part of the reason I want to read the book now and see how I like that. Now that It's a lot of years since I was teen. A lot of years...
When his wife goes after him in that pink(?) Cadillac, loosing pieces. That was really funny. Great scene. Also his look, just perfect.

Years? Why years? That's the whole story isn't it? That when you get white hair, they put you in a capsule with a doggie and a fine assistant and all creature comforts. I believe it. I do not have the doggie, but I do not care, really.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #49
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
KURK VONNEGUT
Of course. No need to yell at me. Kurt Vonnegut. The famous American writer. Who else?
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've started reading Slaughterhouse-Five today and I'm find it hard going. This nonsense with Billy is rather dull. Does this get better?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #51
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
I've started reading Slaughterhouse-Five today and I'm find it hard going. This nonsense with Billy is rather dull. Does this get better?
no...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
no...
At least it's not that long.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #53
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
At least it's not that long.
it just feels like it is, I think I got through war & peace quicker...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
it just feels like it is, I think I got through war & peace quicker...
Will I'm not all that happy with it so far, but it isn't as dull as War and Peace.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #55
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I didn't mind it, but I think I'm going to have trouble saying anything intelligent about it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think what might help is if we can get people who have read the nominated books to tell us if they are any good or not in hopes to prevent another Slaughterhouse-Five.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #57
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I just had to take advantage of the opportunity to actually agree with you on something.

The first time I read this in HS I did not like it at all. I took a chance and read it again in college, on the suggestion of a friend and figuring that maybe it being an assignment in HS colored my opinion, and found it was alright. It would never make any sort of top 100 list for me though, except maybe top 100 overrated.

Of course maybe my criticism may be just what will change your mind and leave you eager to finish it.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I just had to take advantage of the opportunity to actually agree with you on something.

The first time I read this in HS I did not like it at all. I took a chance and read it again in college, on the suggestion of a friend and figuring that maybe it being an assignment in HS colored my opinion, and found it was alright. It would never make any sort of top 100 list for me though, except maybe top 100 overrated.

Of course maybe my criticism may be just what will change your mind and leave you eager to finish it.
I thank you for your comments. They do make me eager to finish it so I won't have to keep reading it. Billy is getting really annoying the more I read. I'm on page 48 of 133. So I hope to finish tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I thank you for your comments. They do make me eager to finish it so I won't have to keep reading it. Billy is getting really annoying the more I read. I'm on page 48 of 133. So I hope to finish tomorrow.
You're right at the point—approximately ⅓ the way through—after which I found the story picking up a bit and becoming more understandable and enjoyable.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Just finished chapter 3 and it's awful so far.