Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #31
gortsew
gortsew began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman
Hi,
I have a really big problem. I have got an EBM-911 which is faulty and loses the OS every time I replace battery. Up to this time it was not a problem, because I could download the OS via Internet from Franklin. But Franklin removed the web site and the EBM Desktop software crashes and no OS is installed. I have the original install CD but at this point it also goes to the Franklin web-site for validation, and since the referred eBookman website was removed the Desktop Manager crashes also. Could Anybody make an MMC Backup (which includes the OS) from eBookman and make that available for me. I am terribly lost.
Thanks in advance: Ivan Gortsew
gortsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #32
oldcruiser55
oldcruiser55 began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick reader
A quick comment on the Foxit eSlick - a great concept developed and marketed by a poor company. the eSlick has been discontinued. Foxit says they will still support it, but - guess what - the screen (small print) has a 90 DAY warranty. The warranty info they gave when I purchased it was 1yr parts. Anyway, my screen has crapped out inside of the 1 yr warranty period and the company won't do anything. In either case, if it was under warranty, one has to send it back to China for repair. It has always been like pulling teeth with these folks and this product is as unstable as their pdf software. As I said, though great idea - hugely long battery life.
oldcruiser55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #33
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcruiser55 View Post
A quick comment on the Foxit eSlick - a great concept developed and marketed by a poor company. the eSlick has been discontinued. Foxit says they will still support it, but - guess what - the screen (small print) has a 90 DAY warranty. The warranty info they gave when I purchased it was 1yr parts. Anyway, my screen has crapped out inside of the 1 yr warranty period and the company won't do anything. In either case, if it was under warranty, one has to send it back to China for repair. It has always been like pulling teeth with these folks and this product is as unstable as their pdf software. As I said, though great idea - hugely long battery life.
That eSlick is the same hardware as the Netronix EB600 → Cool-er, eClicto, Elonex eBook, Astaka Mentor EZ Reader, Cybook Gen3.
I do not exactly know how all this fits togheter but companies like Foxit , Bookeen, ... probably did not do any Research and Development for these eReaders, they just buy them, probably with the software they want to include and then rebrand them and push them out the door.
that said, I have a Cybook Gen 3 and I find it lovely for reading books but like all 6" devices it sucks at A4 sized PDF. That's where the iLiad with it's 8inch display is probably still THE best reader because it has a good size screen while remaining portable. There are bigger sized readers but they tend to be "unportable". And the bigger they are , the harder they fall (litteraly) and the easier they break.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n nook, ebookwise 1150, ectaco jetbook-lite, foxit eslick, irex iliad