Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #121
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The headline on the homepage (right side) reads "Iconia tab beats Xoom, but ipad2?"

They don't repeat that in the article, although they do tout the specs and the price.
Interesting. On a mobile browser, that headline is nowhere to be found.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
Interesting. On a mobile browser, that headline is nowhere to be found.
I'm viewing it on my desktop and it's not there either.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #123
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm viewing it on my desktop and it's not there either.
It's gone today. It was on the right side under "Top Headlines." I clicked on it, and that took me to the review.

Right now, it seems like the competition for the Xoom is the T-mobile G Slate, the Asus eee Transformer, and the Acer Iconia.

The G-slate seems to be a great tablet, but the lack of a wifi only model puts it back where the Xoom started.

To me (and probably a lot of other people), price and screen quality are very important. Unless the G-slate can offer a $500 or less wifi only price, it seems like the Asus is the best Android tablet right now based on value and features.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #124
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Sounds great!
I think in the interest of fairness, if the Xoom and the Acer were the same price, the Xoom would be the better buy based on build quality. Also, it seems like the Xoom version of Honeycomb is less buggy and more refined than either the Acer or Asus.

Right now the wifi only Xoom is $140 more than the Acer, and $190 more than the Asus, but has 16gb more internal storage. I think the higher price is justified because even the competition puts the $100 premium on extra storage. However, a nice compromise would be pricing at $550 for the Xoom to compete better with the Acer and the Asus.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #125
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I think in the interest of fairness, if the Xoom and the Acer were the same price, the Xoom would be the better buy based on build quality. Also, it seems like the Xoom version of Honeycomb is less buggy and more refined than either the Acer or Asus.

Right now the wifi only Xoom is $140 more than the Acer, and $190 more than the Asus, but has 16gb more internal storage. I think the higher price is justified because even the competition puts the $100 premium on extra storage. However, a nice compromise would be pricing at $550 for the Xoom to compete better with the Acer and the Asus.
the price will go down as soon as the competition puts out more tablets. heck, just days after release the wifi version went down $10 at best buy. moto was just looking to grab some bonus early adopter cash.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #126
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
the price will go down as soon as the competition puts out more tablets. heck, just days after release the wifi version went down $10 at best buy. moto was just looking to grab some bonus early adopter cash.
They got mine. (but I'm not necessarily upset about it -- Verizon got/isgetting a chunk of change as well).
Old 04-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #127
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

i just got another xoom this weekend with the hopes of comparing it side by side with a transformer.

so far i've had some bad luck with xoom quality. the first had issues that it wouldn't wake up from sleep, returned the second one after hearing about transformer. got a third that had a dark patch under the camera, and now the 4rth is running fine.

weird thing is that i think number 2 may have been a bum one also. this newest one doesn't have the some of the stutter that the second one had. it still chokes on xda forums, but just about all my android devices run slow on that one - just not as bad as the xoom does.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #128
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Moto releases its numbers this week. Analysts are bracing for bad Xoom numbers, worse than previously thought:

Quote:
Global Equities analyst Trip Chowdry estimates that Motorola Mobility has manufactured between 500,000 and 800,000 Xooms, but has sold only 5 to 15 percent of them.
The link also claims that Google also won't breakout tablet vs. phone sales numbers.

http://phandroid.com/2011/04/25/anal...s-25000-units/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #129
madsquabbles
Groupie

kinda sad for the xoom...

i did put in an order for the transfomer! but i won't get it for 2 weeks...

man the transformer is selling out fast everywhere. i'd guess they've sold more today than the xoom has sold in 2 months.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #130
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
kinda sad for the xoom...

i did put in an order for the transfomer! but i won't get it for 2 weeks...

man the transformer is selling out fast everywhere. i'd guess they've sold more today than the xoom has sold in 2 months.
It is sad, they had a bona fide blockbuster on their hands but made two faulty errors

1. Got in bed with Verizon for forced contracts
2. delayed the wi fi only version (leaving a $799 onlyoff contract option)

I mean who in their right mind is going to pay almost a grand for a tablet. and then who wants another 2 year contract.

my guess Moto had contracts signed with Verizon before Samsung Galaxy TAB proved to be a bust because of the contracts to price ratio.

The xoom is a tremendous tablet, it's build quality is top notch. and it's screen ( though it may not show in the harsh lights at Best Buy and others) is gorgous. It's much softer on the eyes

But if they go back to the drawing board, get a 16G Wifi only for around $450 - $500 and come back with a sleak marketing campaign, this could come back.

but it's tough now, I think this will be the Asus show for a while.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #131
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I mean who in their right mind is going to pay almost a grand for a tablet...
The same folks who paid $400 for the Sony 900 eink device when it was released.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #132
kennyc

Quote:
I mean who in their right mind is going to pay almost a grand for a tablet. and then who wants another 2 year contract.

my guess Moto had contracts signed with Verizon before Samsung Galaxy TAB proved to be a bust because of the contracts to price ratio.

dramatic exaggeration. The Xoom was discounted if you signed up for a 3G contract (which I did) I paid $650 and signed up for a 2 year verizon data plan at $30/month.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #133
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not dramatic. Your priced was subsidized by your agreeing to pay $720 in data charges.

Without, the device seems to be $799 at best buy or $799 no contract at Verizon.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #134
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
dramatic exaggeration. The Xoom was discounted if you signed up for a 3G contract (which I did) I paid $650 and signed up for a 2 year verizon data plan at $30/month.
Oh no I know it was discounted my point was most people don't want another contract.

If you don't mind paying $20 to $30 for the 3G then actually is was priced quite competitive. But the mindset of most people is being locked into a contract as opposed to month to month.

sorry if I wasn't clear. Personally if someone does want to be connected, no matter what and where, then even the 1G $20 a month isn't bad at all. Just do any major downloading or streaming when connected to your wi fi.

but it's the whole signing your name on the dotted line for 2 years just pyschologically scares people.

Trust Me Kenny C If I didn't owe taxes this year I would have been one those who bought the 1G 2 year contract. I love the Xoom. But my remarks to do stand about paying $800 for a tablet, that is just plain crazy.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #135
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
$800 for a tablet, that is just plain crazy.
Funny, thats what everyone suspected the Apple tablet (before it was released) to be priced at or above.

It wouldn't have sold half as well as it has.