Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
That's one of the reasons they recommend using a virtual machine as the devel env.
Irex says this about virtual machines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion Development Environment PDF
Note: VMWare or similar virtual machines to run Ubuntu on a Windows PC may cause
problems with the QEMU emulator. iRex cannot support this way of working, we advise
you to start with a real PC with a clean Ubuntu installation.
But you're probably right. I had it running on VMWare on Windows, but wanted to make a full swing switch to Linux and setting up a virtual machine on Linux seemed (and still seems) more problematic for me than just using the Linux install.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #17
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
Irex says this about virtual machines:

But you're probably right. I had it running on VMWare on Windows, but wanted to make a full swing switch to Linux and setting up a virtual machine on Linux seemed (and still seems) more problematic for me than just using the Linux install.
Sorry, you're right.

What I had to say was: "IREX recommends an Ubuntu 8.04 machine", but to avoid messing with your real desktop (in case it's linux too), you should use a virtual machine. Although IREX didn't recommend it, I have been running dr devel env in a VirtualBox VM for much time wihout any problem. Others have used a VMware Player/Workstation VM without problems as well.

Anyway, I've recently moved the devel env to my main linux desktop (Fedora 14 x86_64). As I don't use anjuta IDE there are no problems, and my workflow is faster.

Inigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
It's working fine for me, too, except for the plugin, but I don't really need it.

I'm using Anjuta purely as an editor now, so there should be no problems there either.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote