Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #121
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsei_hk View Post
I wonder if the fact that I did not register my Nook can influence the Shelves behavior. I've also experienced one weird case of my screen being completely filled with trash (last page of recently viewed book + remainings of Nook walpaper mixed up) instead of wallpaper... All this after upgrade to 1.5, Nook was working great with 1.4.1 firmware.
BTW: Just tried turn off/turn on sequence on my Nook. Shelves are gone again...
See here how to fix it. You have to register your Nook for the problem to stop.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #122
smafra
smafra began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
I thought i saw a mirror link somewhere but can't seem to find it. I think they're about to release 2.5.1 soon (fixed adb over usb) so i will post that if i see it.
Found new version of Nook 2.5.1 on http://www.perfinion.com:81/nookdevs...date-2.5.1.dat
smafra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #123
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
I have a MASSIVE problem with 1.5! I keep turning the page to quickly and miss the last few words since muscle memory is still anticipating the delay. I end up having to page back almost every time.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #124
vulcanman
vulcanman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am considering a Nook.

Can someone tell me if the Nook (with new firmware) allows web browsing on the 3G network ?

I current have the Kindle 2 and it does allow browsing the web in 3G.

Also, one of the things I often do is ... at the airport ... I update all my RSS feeds over the 3G network (at no charge) prior to boarding the plane ... this way I can read the articles without an active connection.

Any info is appreciated.
vulcanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #125
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanman View Post
I am considering a Nook.

Can someone tell me if the Nook (with new firmware) allows web browsing on the 3G network ?

Also, one of the things I often do is ... at the airport ... I update all my RSS feeds over the 3G network (at no charge) prior to boarding the plane ... this way I can read the articles without an active connection.

Any info is appreciated.
You cannot use the browser over 3G, only WiFi. 3G is used only to browse the book selection and make book purchases.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #126
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
I am considering a Nook.

Any info is appreciated.
nook cannot do any of that.

The nook alternative is free At&t wifi network if present at particular airport, but it would be nice if b&n matched the kindle capabilities. I assume nothing, aside from negotiation with network provider, has to be done on tech side (and then some marketing) to enable free 3g web browsing.

Initial nook specs were so vague that i initially thought web browsing over 3g was free on nook, apparently Connects anywhere via FREE 3G means it connects to b&n online store only - it shouldn't be hard to clear that if they wanted to.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #127
vulcanman
vulcanman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You cannot use the browser over 3G, only WiFi. 3G is used only to browse the book selection and make book purchases.
Ok. Thanks !

On the subject of the purported battery life improvements in firmware 1.5 ... any quantitative measurements to see if that is indeed true ?
vulcanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #128
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
On the subject of the purported battery life improvements in firmware 1.5 ... any quantitative measurements to see if that is indeed true ?
Other people have been extrapolating that since the update they have gone from ~4--5 days (which is about what I would get if I left it on all the time) to 20 days, although it is obviously too soon to see if 20 days is reasonable.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #129
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Other people have been extrapolating that since the update they have gone from ~4--5 days (which is about what I would get if I left it on all the time) to 20 days, although it is obviously too soon to see if 20 days is reasonable.
even 20% longer battery life would be something that b&n would share as a highlight of this update, so I assume people are just excited about the update. perhaps someone will actually test and post numbers about it
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #130
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smafra View Post
looks like the 2.5.0 to 2.5.1 diff is to fix the kernel module to address adb over usb issue and a fix to make the mynook.ru launcher the default home menu without any prompts.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #131
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
nook cannot do any of that.

The nook alternative is free At&t wifi network if present at particular airport, but it would be nice if b&n matched the kindle capabilities. I assume nothing, aside from negotiation with network provider, has to be done on tech side (and then some marketing) to enable free 3g web browsing.

Initial nook specs were so vague that i initially thought web browsing over 3g was free on nook, apparently Connects anywhere via FREE 3G means it connects to b&n online store only - it shouldn't be hard to clear that if they wanted to.
kindle can surf on web over 3g?
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #132
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
kindle can surf on web over 3g?
I based it on this statement:
Quote:
should have preceeded my post stating "if this is true"
Old 11-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #133
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Anyone with the new hardware tried this rooted 2.5.0 update? It reboots continually for me, during "checking for updates"
Bumpity-bump. Anyone with a "new hardware" Nook installed this bravo-update.dat? I reboot each time.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #134
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Bumpity-bump. Anyone with a "new hardware" Nook installed this bravo-update.dat? I reboot each time.
Did you check the checksums (MD5 or SHA1)?
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #135
smafra
smafra began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
Did you check the checksums (MD5 or SHA1)?
Did you rename it to bravo_update.dat on your external SD card?
smafra is offline   Reply With Quote