Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #76
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Data plan prices are going in the wrong direction for me. At this rate, I'm going to keep my AT&T unlimited grandfathered subscription as long as possible. I just checked, and I've used 12GB, and I'm only about midway into my billing cycle.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #77
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I'm extremely underwhelmed with the Galaxy Tab's handling. I could try it today in the FNAC and I found it strangely heavy and uncomfortable in comparison to the iPad. It is bizarre, given that I love my Samsung Galaxy S phone which works just like a smaller version.
Interesting.
I first saw Galaxy Tab in German "Media Markt", the day before I've got mine via Amazon.
I was (and still am) surprised, how light it was. I comfortably hold it in a single hand for hours every day, whereas iPad is way to heavy for me to hold it that long. And the figures agree: iPad weighs twice as much.
And I find Galaxy Tab way more comfortable to hold. The form factor is very similar to 6" eBook readers like Kindle3. I like that very much, Sony 900 always has been my favorite eBook reader re. "form factor".

I only have 2 minor "complaints" about Galaxy Tab:
a.) Battery duration. It's a bit less than iPad (maybe 7 hours), probably easily to explain with size of unit = size of battery.
b.) Dell Streak and Galaxy Tab occasionally crash on me. Android still seems less "polished" and stable than iOS.

On the other hand, there are some real advantages to iPad:
a.) I'm very curious about "multitasking" on iPad. But I know it from iPhone4 and I'm not very fond of it:
- You can't choose, whether you'd like to close or multi-task an app. On Android you can. I guess, I close apps about 70% of the time. So it's really a pain in the ass, to automatically multi-task on iPhone4.
- Activating the apps in the background, on iPhone is another pain in the ass. There's a single physical button, so obviously the only way is to double-press this one. On Android, it's way easier.
b.) You've got full control on Android with its 4 capacitive buttons. For example, you can search on every page, in every app.
c.) The closed system from Apple has some advantages. But I very much like, choosing from various vendors using the same OS. It's interesting to compare Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab. Same OS and still lots of differences.
d.) Not of extreme importance to me. But it's helpful, being able to expand the memory with standard cards on Android units. And the cameras are nice. Given the portability, I use them as my travel companions and enjoy taking the occasional snapshot (with GPS tagging and all the common advantages).
e.) I Like, toying around with my gadgets. On Android, you easily (without any hacks or jailbreaks) can access your internal memory, drag and drop files and the likes.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #78
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Yup, those prices sound like the U.S. ones I've seen. When saw them, I thought, you've got to be kidding.

I'm overseas indefinitely and am paying about 25 bucks USD for unlimited data, without a contract, on my iPad. If I went on contract, I could pay even less. In the U.S., I was grandfathered under AT&T's $29.99 unlimited data plan. With those kind of Galaxy Tab prices, I have no incentive to consider switching.
Why not just buy the unlocked one?
I'm doing so with all my gadgets. That's the reason why I keep my original T-Mobile contract with 3 Multi-SIMs.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #79
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Why not just buy the unlocked one?
I'm doing so with all my gadgets. That's the reason why I keep my original T-Mobile contract with 3 Multi-SIMs.
As far as I know, all U.S. iPads are sold unlocked. Both of mine were. That's why I can use a local micro-SIM card abroad and use my AT&T card in the U.S.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #80
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
As far as I know, all U.S. iPads are sold unlocked. Both of mine were. That's why I can use a local micro-SIM card abroad and use my AT&T card in the U.S.
Same experience here.
With iPad.
But with Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab as well.
So I wouldn't compare the fees and volume limits, but the sole purchasing price for the hardware.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #81
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Same experience here.
With iPad.
But with Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab as well.
So I wouldn't compare the fees and volume limits, but the sole purchasing price for the hardware.
Except I'm grandfathered under an unlimited data plan, which is no longer available, and my rate is low for the U.S. If I switched to Galaxy, I'd end up paying a lot more for data. Galaxy doesn't use the same SIM card as iPad, does it?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #82
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Except I'm grandfathered under an unlimited data plan, which is no longer available, and my rate is low for the U.S. If I switched to Galaxy, I'd end up paying a lot more for data. Galaxy doesn't use the same SIM card as iPad, does it?
iPad does have a Micro-SIM.
But with an adapter (I've got one for my MiFi, working flawlessly), you should be able to use it.
Works the other way around as well: You can cut a standard SIM to a Micro SIM.
To my knowledge, the only difference is size. You only have to be careful about regions. The US AT&T for example won't work in Germany because of the frequency used.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #83
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
b.) I'll never get angry reactions of customers. Simply don't buy it and never again think a single second about it...
Not buying it is exactly what I'll be doing. By contrast, the Nook Color is only $250 and the reason why I'm seriously considering it instead.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #84
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
c.) What's the base of your comparison? iPad?.
iPad, netbooks, and Nook Color.

Apple pays $230 to manufacture a $500 16GB 10" WiFi iPad. B&N pays $xxx to manufacture a $250 8GB 7" WiFi Nook Color. Outside of app store access, both devices are fairly comparable. Hack the Color and you get apps. Netbooks, on the other hand, are more powerful and far more versatile at only $250~350 in price.

I'm looking for a netbook replacement for personal travel use - web browsing, social, video, audio, photo, and reading. Enterprise and PDF functionality are irrelevant functions for me. I fail to see any advantage of the iPad or Galaxy Tab over the Nook Color.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #85
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Apple pays $230 to manufacture a $500 16GB 10" WiFi iPad. B&N pays $xxx to manufacture a $250 8GB 7" WiFi Nook Color. Outside of app store access, both devices are fairly comparable. Hack the Color and you get apps. Netbooks, on the other hand, are more powerful and far more versatile at only $250~350 in price.

I'm looking for a netbook replacement for personal travel use - web browsing, social, video, audio, photo, and reading. Enterprise and PDF functionality are irrelevant functions for me. I fail to see any advantage of the iPad or Galaxy Tab over the Nook Color.
Without going into details:
$ 230 may be the manufacturing costs of iPad. But the total costs, including R&D, overhead and last but not least taxes (!!!) will be way higher.
Seemingly huge margins of 50% for hardware manufacturers eventually lead to way less than 10% EBIT.

And netbooks are more powerful? I don't have one. And I don't want one.
But I've had a powerful UMPC.
Samsung Q1, costing $ 1200 only 2 years ago.
I barely use it since I've got iPad and the likes. "Instant on" is one argument. I've answered emails on iPad, before my UMPC even would have started.
The only real disadvantages, in my opinion, are lack of (professional) applications and notebook capability. I never would draft proposals or presentations on iPad. But I wouldn't do so on netbooks or UMPCs either.

I can't compare to nook color. I've thought about it, but I'll probably pass because of the childish "signature design element". To me, it looks strange and even may harm stability.

I've got the opposite view of you: I fail to see the niche for nook color in comparison to the existing Android tablets.

If you aim for "any" tablet below $ 250, it seems to be the only choice.
But if you choose your gadget and then ask yourself, whether it's worth the money, you'll probably find arguments for all the gadgets mentioned.

Personally, I still remember paying € 4000 for notebooks only 5 years ago, so I don't have any problems at all with these prices. Quite the contrary, I often wish for higher quality and even would accept a higher price...
Old 11-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #86
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
The only real disadvantages, in my opinion, are lack of (professional) applications and notebook capability. I never would draft proposals or presentations on iPad. But I wouldn't do so on netbooks or UMPCs either.
The average person doesn't draft proposals and presentations on any type of computer, so that argument flies out the window for most people. Not sure what you run, but most people can get by on a low end computer; be it a desktop, laptop, netbook, or a tablet.

Before I picked up my current desktop, I used my netbook exclusively as my only computer for over 8 months. I hooked up a keyboard, mouse, and a 22" display. Then I closed the lid and shoved it to the side.

With that setup, I was able to run Hulu, YouTube, OpenOffice, etc. The only time I felt limited was when I opened too many additional windows while streaming video.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #87
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

The irony of this post is that you're dismissing the Galaxy based on price but it excels at all of the items you listed above. Where as the nook does not and had to be rooted, (read void warranty) to enable half of these features.

Samasung has put a lot of effort into making this a multimedia device, it has added the required hardware and software(libraries and codecs) to support video such as DivX capable and a graphics accelerator card to support videos and video gaming.

Also the Samsung device is live and will continue to receive Android updates, 2.3 is promised, which is even more optimized for tablets.

It has Market support and GPS, bluetooth, and a camera.... you did mention that photos where important right, the nook has no camera.

Samsung has also heavily optimized their skin to integrate nicely with social apps and has tested video conferencing (has two cameras).

The nook is a nitch device and will not be upgraded and will have the minimal software to make it work with its HW. The OS version is essentially frozen. Sure you an root it and upgrade it but this is effort an not easy, AND voids your warranty.

I really don't understand how you "fail to see any advantage" the Samsung is a superior product, but you are paying for it. If the rooted nook can give you what you need that's fine, but it does not compare to the quality of the Samsung device. You are going to spend a lot of time and tinkering to get the nook working as an android tablet. In the end some people value their time a little more than others.

It's on thing to by a device an tinker with it for fun and another thing to buy a device and tinker with it because you don't want to spend the extra cash.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #88
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The irony of this post is that you're dismissing the Galaxy based on price but it excels at all of the items you listed above. Where as the nook does not and had to be rooted, (read void warranty) to enable half of these features.
Excelling is not worth it when the same thing can be accomplished at half the price.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It has Market support and GPS, bluetooth, and a camera.... you did mention that photos where important right, the nook has no camera.
~~~~~
You are going to spend a lot of time and tinkering to get the nook working as an android tablet. In the end some people value their time a little more than others.
I don't need GPS, bluetooth, or a camera. We're talking about a 7" tablet, not a pocket computer. Photos - as in viewing, not taking.

BTW, NC already is an Android tablet with a full web browser running 2.1, with 2.2 coming early next year. Outside of official app support, what's missing?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #90
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
I'm very curious about "multitasking" on iPad. But I know it from iPhone4 and I'm not very fond of it:
You should really try jailbreak. Its got a lot to offer.
The day i got my Iphone 4/Ipad, i jailbroke it just because i hate to click the lone-solitary button.

and I cringe with distaste when someone else handles my iphone/ipad, because they all have a natural inclination to keep clicking the button.

Since ios, multitask in iphone is limited.
But with ipad still in 3.2.2, circuitous+Activator provides a real good experience.

The thing i hate about android is,
things just seem to spring back into memory like cockroaches or spiders in the house.
Apps like MortPlayer and VCardIO have no business coming back but they still do. I am actually sick of this unruly apps.

And yes, as you mentioned, android seems still half-baked. Pretty unstable(but again i am talking with 1.6 experience).

The best multitasking implementation i have seen till date is in Maemo/N900 and by word of mouth Palm.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote