Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Good historical fiction?

Does anyone have recommendations for good historical fiction? I don't have a whole lot of exposure to the genre, but I'd like to try some more. I've read a lot of Bernard Cornwell's stuff, and enjoyed most of it. I really liked his Warlord Chronicles, which admittedly is a mixture of fantasy and history. I also enjoyed the Saxon Stories, but his writing has gotten rather stale on me. It all seems a bit formulaic now--he fleshes out the era in his books well, but it's like each book is the same story with the same characters, just in a different time period.

I've also read a little bit of Patrick O'Brien, which in the long run I enjoyed, but had to will myself forward in a lot of the places in the few books I read.

Any recommendations? I'm not affixed to any particular time period, I just like the feeling of history coming alive and being immersed in the story.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
How about the Shardlake novels by Sansom?

or the Mordlake books by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
You might find some suggestions in this thread.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
hah! Thanks, I swear I did a search, but somehow didn't see that.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Try the Flashman series; absolutely hilarious and, historically, accurate
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Gore Vidal has written some excellent novels about key points in American history, all from a Washington perspective. Vidal is a brilliant author, but he does have an extreme bias that shows through in his portrayal of certain characters. Also, a great deal of the novels are presented in dialog at parties, so it's not exactly exciting stuff.

The General in His Labyrinth by Gabriel García Márquez is a beautiful look at the last days of Simón Bolívar, as well as some flashbacks to the major events of his life. Simply beautiful writing.

Rose by Martin Cruz Smith is an excellent historical mystery set in 19th-century Wigan, a British coal-mining town. Great atmosphere and intrigue.

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier is about an injured American Civil War soldier abandoning the war and walking home to his true love. Language, character, and atmosphere are Frazier's strengths in this novel which, apart from some coincidences, is one of the best Historical novels out there.

The World War II espionage thrillers by Alan Furst are also quite well written, and among my personal favorites. Initially, Furst's narrative was more detailed, but, as he's mastered his craft, he's become somewhat more spare--to great effect. He's not strong on plot, but his atmosphere alone makes these worth a read. I can't recommend these enough.
That's a start, anyway.

Last edited by SlowRain; 12-03-2010 at 09:47 AM.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
Ken Follett writes in a variety of genres, but his novels Pillars of the Earth and World without End are highly recommended, and he has another coming out in the next few weeks which would fit in with your request but I've forgotten what it's called.

There is also an author called Karen Maitland who has written The Company of Liars and The Owl Killers.
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:22 AM   #8
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
and whilst I think about it - the Boudica books by Manda Scott.
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
bar49
bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle 2, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post

Any recommendations? I'm not affixed to any particular time period, I just like the feeling of history coming alive and being immersed in the story.
Hi.
The following site is a good source for all types of historical fiction. I have found some great reads using it but don't expect to find most of the books in an eBook format. Hope this is of some use to you.

http://www.historicalnovels.info/
bar49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiegirl2012 View Post
Ken Follett writes in a variety of genres, but his novels Pillars of the Earth and World without End are highly recommended, and he has another coming out in the next few weeks which would fit in with your request but I've forgotten what it's called.
Totally agree!!!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Neal Stephenson - The Baroque Cycle

Steven Brust & Emma Bull - Freedom & Necessity
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
And if you want historical novels which are themselves almost historical because they were written a century or more ago try Stanley J. Weyman (Under the Red Robe, A Gentleman of France) and Rafael Sabatini (Scaramouche, Captain Blood). They are still very good reading, and are available for free download on this forum.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
P.S C.S. Forester (the Hornblower series) and Robert Graves (I, Claudius, Claudius the God) though their ebook productions have many typos etc.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
The Empire By Stephen Saylor

A new book by Stephen Saylor was chronicled in USA Today yesterday.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/r...e-review_N.htm

It is a continuation of Roma a historical novel about ancient Rome. The first book Roma is available as a promotion in ebook for 2.99. I picked it up for my kindle/ipad yesterday.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
The first book Roma is available as a promotion in ebook for 2.99.
Only if you live in the USA.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote