Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 09-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #1
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Tungsten C Mini-Review

I am going to wait until after Oct. 1st to see if Palm releases new wireless models before making any decision, but I am considering trading up to a Tungsten C. Mainly because I use a wireless network here at home and I really like being able to connect to the internet when I need to.

Does anyone use a Palm Tungsten C and if so, what do you think of it?
Old 09-24-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
rclodfelter
rclodfelter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NX70V
Why not wait for the T5?
Old 09-24-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Brad
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclodfelter
Why not wait for the T5?
I assume they will release the T5 on October 1st or thereabouts. Sure I can wait until early October.

However, a lot will depend upon price and features of the T5.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Which are all rumor, speculation, and conjecture at this point.

But I can wait for another few weeks to find out that I can't afford it.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:52 AM   #5
Brad
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Which are all rumor, speculation, and conjecture at this point.

But I can wait for another few weeks to find out that I can't afford it.
LOL! That is a good point Sunshine. I kinda doubt they will have any price discounts on the new T5 for many months. But I notice Amazon has a good price on the Tungsten C which is what got me thinking about it.

I do have the feeling the T5 will be well out of my price range.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

You should check out Overstock. They're blowing out a ton of T|T's at cheapo prices. Bound to be cheaper than Amazon, unless you're buying used from an individual.

I'm seriously afraid of how much the T5 is gonna be. If OS6 works with a T|3, as is the rumor file, I'll probably just upgrade to one of those and pick up a wifi card for my office network. I have unlimited net access via my BT phone, so in combo, that's all I really need.

Good luck Brad. Keep up posted on what you decide to do.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
The other day, this page listed the GPS as being compatible with the Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 units (at the top). I just reloaded the page, and noticed that they've removed it.. so the T5 and Treo 650 are iminent. I should have saved the page, or grabbed a screenshot of it.

We've heard, from our own "Deep Throat" insider, that the Tungsten T5 is going to MSRP at $499. "Deep Throat" has rarely been wrong for us before.

Take that for what its worth.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Brad
Zealot

Thanks Hacker. That is good information. $499 is way to rich for my blood. Even the T3 is high once you add on a WiFi card.

The Tungsten C is looking like my cheapest route to wifi connectivity. Although I'm still going to wait until the T5 debutes just to see.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:29 AM   #9
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Yea, you should wait and see what's up with OS6. The C may not be upgradeable, which is a rational fear.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #10
rclodfelter
rclodfelter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NX70V
I have a Clie NX-70v and started thinking of upgrading when the UM-50's came out. I didn't like the fact that the screen was smaller then my NX and there was no CF slot so I held off. Then I started pondering OS6 and decided to wait. I have been waiting a long time and have had time to save my pennies. If Sony had another model you can bet it would be pricy so the $499 price does not scare me. ;[)
Old 09-27-2004, 12:03 PM   #11
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
I got my Tungsten C a few months ago from Overstock.com, and I'm loving it! Main reason for getting it is that I'm in the Bay Area (there is a WiFi hot-spot almost every 30 feet :P ), and I wanted a good keypad. Graffiti is exhausting for email, documents, and messaging. The T|C is one of the largest Palms, since almost half of the body is dedicated to the battery (this is actually a good thing). So far, I have found the reception to be very good, even when it is in the aluminum case, and the 400mhz processor is a blast. If you use Lightspeed 2.0 to slow down all of your reader apps (like iSilo) and turn off the WiFi radio when not in use, you'll find that huge battery will go for hours and hours and hours. When not in WiFi range, I am able to use the IR port with my Nokia 6200 for internet access. Truthfully, my only complaint is that there is still no option to add bluetooth. It would make my cellphone connection easier.

The T3 is nice, but I like mine better. WiFi, keypad, big battery, and I've proven it can be dropped occasionally. (oops)
Old 09-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Wow. Nice mini review. Making me think about the T|C more seriously. I havent' been psyched about the T|3's notoriously bad battery life. Two questions:

Q1: Does the IR combo with your phone drain the battery much?
Q2: Do you have to have the phone's port right on top of the pda?

I have a Nokia as well, and before I got a BT adapter was using IR to move apps to my phone (can you say 'painful'?). I literally had to have the IR ports next to each other.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:55 PM   #13
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
A1: IR doesn't drain the battery as fast as the WiFi. You do notice the effect, though. Not too bad.

A2: The phone can sit on the table as much as 2.5 feet away. I usually just have it sitting about foot in front of me. When on the move, I put velcro on the back of my clipboard so I can "stick" my phone over my T|C.

For some reason, program transfer is much more finicky than web-browsing. I think the error-checking is much less robust in file transfers, so it is more likely to fail then when maintaining an internet connection. Not sure why.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #14
Brad
Zealot

Great review macrotor, thanks for posting that.

How stable are these new Palm OS's when they come out? Maybe being an early adopter of OS6 would be a mistake.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:46 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
macrotor, I copied your mini-review to the hardware review section. Nice job!

Looking forward for more such reviews!