Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
Scorptek
Scorptek began at the beginning.

Device: none
What would be the "go to" manga ereader?

Hello friends, Im very green when it comes to ereaders. I have been gathering Humble Bundle manga volumes since quite some time but alwast put away the purchase of reading device.

Im looking for something that will help me take a break from modern screens which I encounter at work and after. I wish to read novels and manga which will be only sideloaded as everything I got is from deals, friends or fan translations.

It will be used only at home under reading lamp so most likely I don't need backlight but from my understanding most of them have one.

After some research of this forum and other parts of the internet I found that Kobo Sage fills my needs the best, although Im a bit concerned about "button issues" and other bugs. As Im from Poland I will be ordering from only shop that has them and Im not sure how it will look in case of warranty. I've seen it has best screen resolution and "blacks".

Any other recommendations that will allow me very simple usage of plugging it to PC and just draggin and dropping the flies? I've seen there might be the need to use programs such as KCC and Calibre but I think most of my files should be working good "as is"

Thank you and I wish you a good day!
Scorptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
The other options to consider are the Android eInk devices like Boox and Boyue that are similarly sized (7.8"). Similarly easy to drag books on/off but also compatible with Android apps. Tachiyomi is a great Android app for reading manga from popular sites. Works well on eInk too.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Sage button issues aren't as dire as all that. Yeah, they're somewhat annoying, but not a dealbreaker. The Sage is still my go-to reader. I'm considering ordering a second one next month, just to compare it with my first one which I bought just after it was released. Perhaps my current Sage is a bit of a lemon.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #4
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
If you are the 'drag and drop files' kind of person the Koboes are definitely the way to go, assuming you REALLY aren't interested in extra functionality, in which case it would always be better to get an Android e-reader as salamanderjuice mentioned to get more flexibility in the future.

Note that you can download software to Kobos made by users here that IMO make for a better manga experience. KOReader and Plato, see below:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220

But you don't have to worry about any of that or even about Calibre for that matter because the Kobo will work for manga and just sliding files in there straight out of the box. My advice: remove all non standard qwerty characters (for example Polish-specific letters) from the file names as I've had to reinstall my device multiple times because of French accents. I wish I were kidding.

Whatever you do, do not get a device with a screen smaller than 7.8" or so. It will just be unpleasant for manga.

Alternatively you could go for the Pocketbook Inkpad line if you prefer their placement of physical buttons. They have a color model that would be good if you ever want to read color comics, but be aware that the colors will look like old newspaper and that it is preferable to buy a black and white e-ink screen if you ONLY read black and white manga as the color layer makes the greys and overall resolution worse off.

If you want to support your local industry, you can also try the Inkbooks which are made by a Polish company. Their main selling point is that the physical turn page buttons feel excellent, more so than any other device I have tried, but I would not otherwise recommend them unless you can take advantage of their Polish-language bookshop etc. As I don't speak it I cannot tell you more about that.

Last edited by JawadLeLogeur; 04-28-2022 at 08:24 AM.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:26 AM   #5
Scorptek

Salamanderjuice, where I read wifi doesn't reach anyways, so Im afraid I wont really get to use android apps too much but I hear Tachiyomi is great. Im also not interested in web browser, games or special note taking software.

Sirtel, oh please let me know if you do! Maybe new pieces are better or worse(hope not!) How button issues were for you? I've seen people complain that they often would stop responding and only way to move a page is by tapping the screen. Sounds like something that could be fixed by a software patch tho.

JawadLeLogeur, drag and drop for sure, or use a manager for it but yeah most likely offline only as most of my house is cabled up and wifi was only put later as something "new and trendy" in a living room. That's great that it supports those formats natively, that's what I was looking for. Haha I think mine don't have any polish letters but I just double check in case, most polish releases Im interested in I have on paper.
Definitely black and white, for comics with great deal of color I might get a tablet someday with rich colorful screen, but yeah that's what I want to avoid right now. Rest my eyes a little bit.
Inkbooks are made in china even tho it's a Polish company so I think it's just like everything else. I was considering them but they seem to have worse resolution than Sage and I can't find information if it supports CBZ/CBR natively. It also performs much slower unfortunately.
Advert
Old 04-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorptek View Post
Sirtel, oh please let me know if you do! Maybe new pieces are better or worse(hope not!) How button issues were for you? I've seen people complain that they often would stop responding and only way to move a page is by tapping the screen. Sounds like something that could be fixed by a software patch tho.
That's right. The newest firmware improved things so now it's enough to press a button the second time, no need to touch the screen. The not-responding issue still continues, however. Perhaps Kobo will get it right with the next update, but of course this might be a vain hope.

I'll post in the Kobo forum if and when I get a new Sage.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:23 PM   #7
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Based on what you have written the Sage seems like the clear choice here. I don't think you will regret your purchase!

The alternative would be to get a used Forma (its predecessor) or other model if you want to save some money. But IMO an e-reader is money well spent anyway so I would just get the Sage and enjoy it.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:17 PM   #8
Scorptek

Sirtel I wonder if it's more of a physical design issue than software one. Maybe hardware wasn't thought through properly.

JawadLeLogeur I actually have seen used Forma on local auction website! It's half the price of new Sage so Im considering it. I would normally go for Sage right away but the issues I heard do sound quite scary for the price it costs, hoping it's mostly exaggaration and it's not too bad.

I have a lot of stuff that I have collected over the years from various deals and bundles which were dirt cheap, even at a price of new device I think I can "justify" it considering how many hours of entertainment it would provide.

Tags
noob