Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Kindle Voyage now requires WAN access to associate to router?

So I routinely block all internet access at the router to/from the Kindle, while allowing Kindle to LAN communication.

This setup works fine for me on my PW1, but on a Voyage 5.8.10, it seems Amazon has blocked this method.

I can associate to my SSID once my router block is removed. Once I re-add the router block, the Kindle will throw up a message that the internet is not working and then it de-associates with the router, making Kindle to LAN communication also stop until I remove the router block.

Not nice...

Is this a known thing or something unusual?
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Nevermind, I just stumbled upon this in the wiki, and I'll give it a shot. Thanks to whomever wrote that wiki entry.

Quote:
Disabling Wifi network validation
By default, Kindles try to verify internet connectivity when they connect to a Wireless network. This may not be desired in various circumstances, for instance when connecting to an Intranet, or to a public hotspot.

To disable the connectivity check, place a file named WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE on the USB partition.
OK. Just tested it. Works fine. Just needed to restart the Kindle for the flag to take effect.

Last edited by bookreader1; 08-30-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Advert
Old 08-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookreader1 View Post
Nevermind, I just stumbled upon this in the wiki, and I'll give it a shot. Thanks to whomever wrote that wiki entry.

OK. Just tested it. Works fine. Just needed to restart the Kindle for the flag to take effect.
It has been that way since the K3 keyboard Kindle.
Check your PW1 -
You probably put it on there so long ago that you forgot that you had done it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
bookreader1
Enthusiast

Don't have it anymore, but I'm sure you must be right.