Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Kindle 3G + router?

I just purchased a Kindle 3G but now I'm in the process of returning it because there is very limited (or no) 3G access in my area, contrary to what Amazon's 3G coverage map indicates. I really liked the Kindle display and was even pleasantly surprised how "big" the 6" screen was. Before I return the Kindle I have some nagging questions:

Comment: Having Wikipedia access is quite important to me as I tend to use it a lot when reading books. I don't like having to sit at my desktop PC to read a book.

1. Can I buy a "3G" wireless router for my home internet connection (Earthlink cable modem) or is Kindle's 3G specifically made for AT&T? Or should I just return the Kindle 3G for the wi-fi version and buy a wi-fi router?

2. Any router recommendations for wi-fi? Something inexpensive and easy to install and most importantly, compatible.

3. Will the wireless router interfere with my current cable connection? Will I be forced to use a slower connection on my PC?
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K3 3G comes with WiFi. If you buy a WiFi router you will be able to use your WiFi capability on your K3. I have no idea if there is such a thing as a 3 G router.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The K3 3G comes with WiFi. If you buy a WiFi router you will be able to use your WiFi capability on your K3. I have no idea if there is such a thing as a 3 G router.
I know the Kindle 3G also has wi-fi, but I don't want to pay $50 for a feature (3G) I will never use. If I could use 3G access with a router on my PC then the Kindle 3G it would be worth keeping.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you travel you may well find that you need the 3G. I have yet to have an option between the two, the K1 and DXG came with 3G only. I can't see myself going to WiFi only but that is a personal preference. I like knowing that I can buy books from just about anywhere.

But that is me.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I think we need to clarify some of the terminology that's out there, otherwise the advise you're getting isn't going to make sense.

3G: wireless and provided primarily by cellular phone companies. Data can be accessed over a 3G connection by either using a 3G capable device OR by using a 3G hotspot, which upon receiving the 3G signal will than rebroadcast it as WiFi. The 3G hotspot acts as a sort of intermediary between a WiFi capable device and a mobile phone companies 3G network. For instance, when the iPad first came to Verizon, buyers needed to purchase the WiFi only model plus a 3G hotspot device in order to use Verizon's data network because the iPad did not have the correct 3G chip installed. Although you may be able to find a cell phone carrier with a better 3G network than what is provided for the Kindle (Amazon contracts with AT&T), purchasing a 3G hotspot will NOT save you any money as it would require a monthly data plan with a cell phone carrier.

Wifi: Generally, the telephone or cable company allows you to have a data stream along the same physical lines as your phone or tv. You can then use a wireless router that will allow your WiFi device to access this data stream over the air.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
1) It makes no sense. Kindle WiFi is a good choice if you don't need to use connection outside your home and you have an internet connection at home.

2) This could be a good starting point.

3) No, if you set it up correctly.

Last edited by karunaji; 02-23-2011 at 07:40 AM.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
NLight95
Connoisseur

I don't do much traveling and when I do I could just store some books I already have on my PC to my e-reader and carry my paperback dictionary along. I'm sure I could do without Wikipedia access for a few weeks as well as any book purchases.

So let me understand--3G provides no speed benefit for someone using a wireless router at home because it utilizes a cell phone network rather than wi-fi technology. Is this correct?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

That is correct.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
NLight95
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
2) This could be a good starting point.
I've used D-Link NICs and routers before with good results. How would the unit you've mentioned compare to this one. Is there any advantage of the latter? Would a faster model benefit me any more than a basic unit?

What is the typical range of these routers? I live in a 3-bedroom home + full basement. My house isn't all that big. Are there any devices (cordless phone, appliances, etc) that could possibly interfere with the signal?

I don't know a whole lot about router features/technology but I can install them typically without too much hassle.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Wi-fi tends to be faster than 3G, anyway.

When you configure the router, make sure to set it up so that it is backward-compatible with B and G protocols and not just n-only. N-only is fine for laptops, etc., but the Kindle is only capable of using B and G protocols.

Edited to add: read reviews of routers to find out what users have to say about ranges, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
NLight95
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Wi-fi tends to be faster than 3G, anyway.

When you configure the router, make sure to set it up so that it is backward-compatible with B and G protocols and not just n-only. N-only is fine for laptops, etc., but the Kindle is only capable of using B and G protocols.

Edited to add: read reviews of routers to find out what users have to say about ranges, etc.
Thanks for the clarification, Sue. 3G seems to always be advertised as faster. I've already returned the Kindle 3G and now I'm looking at the Sony PRS-950. Do you know what protocol(s) it uses?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Couple of things:

-3G is data connection via cellphone
-3G is "usually" slower than Internet wifi but that is not 100% true all the time. My 3G connection with Tmobile is slightly faster than my wifi Internet connection
-3G main use or advantage is for users that need connection all the time and when not at home

If you don't need connection all the time and you are going to use your Kindle at home most of the time, keep the wifi model and setup wifi internet at home.

A good and not so expensive wifi router is Linksys. They are not the best but good balance between features, easy to use and price. The Lynksys should work with your Kindle wifi.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
So let me understand--3G provides no speed benefit for someone using a wireless router at home because it utilizes a cell phone network rather than wi-fi technology. Is this correct?
Actually, it depends, like I said on my previous post.

Good Internet connection are 3Mps and faster so usually they are better than 3G but it depends of what you have at home. In USA, most families have high speed Internet so we can safely say 3G is a bit slower. That will change soon with new 4G technology.

The main advantage of 3G is having (depending of the coverage) access when not at home.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I believe the 2.xxxx mhz cordless phones interfere with some wireless routers - I had that problem and converted to 5.xxx cordless phones. That is CORDLESS and not cellphones.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
NLight95
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I believe the 2.xxxx mhz cordless phones interfere with some wireless routers - I had that problem and converted to 5.xxx cordless phones. That is CORDLESS and not cellphones.
Yes, now that you mention it 2.4 Ghz cordless phones can interfere. Like you, I upgraded my cordless phones (Uniden) to the 5 GHz models years ago.