Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Lendle: Amazon has revoked Lendle's API access

https://twitter.com/#!/lendleapp/sta...19939456409601

Quote:
Amazon has revoked Lendle's API access. This is why the site is down. It's sad and unfortunate that Amazon is shutting down Lending sites.
Bummer.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What exactly is it that Amazon has done to shut down this site? What does "revoked their API access" mean?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What exactly is it that Amazon has done to shut down this site? What does "revoked their API access" mean?
http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2011/feb/1...entry-continue

Quote:
For those interested in some technical details: Predictably, the whole project was built using Django and Python, and is hosted at Rackspace Cloud. The stack is pretty typical for Django projects: Python, Memcached, Apache, nginx, MySQL, Django 1.3, etc. The site makes very heavy use of the Amazon Product Advertising API.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What does "revoked their API access" mean?
They had no "API access". It was just one of a million new lending sites that users join so they can lend each other books. They could continue to do this without any sort of API requirements from Amazon, so if they were indeed shut down... they must have been doing something shady.

EDIT: They used Amazon's Advertising API. That has nothing to do with the lending technology and tracking their users borrowing/lending ratio.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2011 at 05:15 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's what I thought: I don't see how any involvement from Amazon is necessary for this. I wonder if they were perhaps a "front" for exchanging illegal material?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder if they were perhaps a "front" for exchanging illegal material?

This has been my main concern with these lending clubs. How does the hosting site know their users are only exchanging copies of ebooks whose DRM will cause them to expire after a certain amount of time?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
anijh
Connoisseur
anijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1e, Kindle Fire, and multiple iDevices
Wow. This is terrible news. I enjoyed using Lendle.
anijh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
alsaan
Enthusiast
alsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2 & Kindle 3
I had just signed up for Lendle a few days ago. The website used the API to retrieve information about ebooks sold by Amazon (e.g title, author, cover image, whether it is lendable or not, ...). It'll be pretty difficult for them to resume operations without access to this data, they essentially will have to maintain their own separate database of ebooks.

As for the piracy concerns: Lendle was just a match-up service; the actual ebook exchange was performed by use of the official mechanism provided by Amazon, with all its associated restrictions. Still, you can see how the publishers fear a loss of revenue from this kind of sites (then again, they have the option of revoking the lendable status of their titles at any time).

Last edited by alsaan; 03-21-2011 at 06:33 PM.
alsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaan
As for the piracy concerns: Lendle was just a match-up service; the actual ebook exchange was performed by use of the official mechanism provided by Amazon, with all its associated restrictions.
But that's exactly what I mean! The official Amazon mechanism starts with knowing the email address of the person you want to lend the book to. Once you've built a giant database of; "I Have/I Want, You Have/You want... and here's my email address", there's nothing stopping those people from forgetting about Amazon mechanisms completely and emailing each other books that have had the drm stripped from them -- like one big happy pirate mailing-list. With Lendle keeping track of who wants what.

Surely I'm not the only one that recognizes this?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I suppose but such networks already exist. Building a network around legal lending with the same 'I have, I want' listings you mention makes perfect sense to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

This has been my main concern with these lending clubs. How does the hosting site know their users are only exchanging copies of ebooks whose DRM will cause them to expire after a certain amount of time?
I suppose also. The site I've participated in (see below) we just PM each other the email address to send the book to. But really - how does any site know those things? For that matter, how does MobileRead know you and I haven't been PMing each other with links to pirated books?

Is it really the function of any internet site/message board to police the entire lives of their users?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is it really the function of any internet site/message board to police the entire lives of their users?
Certainly not. But I don't think it's outrageous that the owner(s) of a book-lending, email address sharing, facilitation type of online social network be held accountable for what their members are doing under the auspices of their provided services, either.

Keep the lending casual... unorganized. Otherwise... everything that publishers feared about ebook lending will have come true. Piracy's going to happen... it can't be stopped, but we don't have to build the pirates a brand new ship and give them a crew to sail her with.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
*sigh* the more people push the limits, the more we will get restricted. i'm quite happy with casual lending. if people strip the drm of the books, does that mean the borrower can keep them?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well from what I remember of Lendle (it's down now and I can't check) I don't think there was any sort of member list or PM function. Basically you put in the name of the book you wanted to borrow. There was some sort of algorithm thing on how good of a "Lendler" you were --- how many books you had listed and how many you had loaned out --- that would give you a priority number.
When your number was at the top and a book became available, the site would contact the person who owned the book requesting them to lend it to a specific email address.

So there really wasn't a whole lot of behind the scenes member contact to swap unauthorized books. You'd have to do it through email, off boards and that would be after you'd already had an exchange.

At least that is the way I remember it.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I don't think that Amazon is worried about people using this to strip the DRM and share the books. They just don't want total strangers using websites to lend each other books.

CNet claims they railed 2 other sites as well, but didn't specify which ones: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20045633-93.html

I'm not surprised this got shut down -- in fact I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote