Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use Magisk modules?
I write my own and install modules from others 0 0%
I write my own 1 11.11%
I install modules from others 5 55.56%
I use Magisk but don't use modules 1 11.11%
I don't use Magisk 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2022, 07:48 AM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Question Do you use Magisk modules?

The system-as-root and dm-verity has changed the Android landscape and made us use Magisk to root our devices.

Magisk has the feature of allowing you to write "modules" to override the read-only system partition and customize things to your liking. So, do you use this feature? Do you write modules yourself or install modules from others?

(Aside to those who use modules: Have you ever looked at "mount" to see all the stuff that is going on to make modules happen?)
Code:
# mount
# mount|wc
Edit: Could you tell me how many mounts you have? That's the mount|wc command. I have 48.

Last edited by Renate; 04-05-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Oh, yeah, I love Magisk, but only version 23.0, since newer versions screwed up my Onyx last time
I use:
ccbins, Cross-Compiled binaries: to have shuf function that allows my wallpaper shuffling script to work at startup; I also mounted updated /system/bin/unzip binary in this module’s directory, so KOReader can process fb2.zip archives with Cyrillic names inside them correctly;

SSH for Magisk: seamless ssh connection, no difference at all compared to my old Kindle PaperWhite 3 with NiLuJe’s USB Network package;

acc, Advanced Charging Controller: to limit charging voltage and make device shutdown at 5% battery to avoid battery degradation.

Unfortunately, seems like Magisk devs are going to drop modules repository and updates, but I was still able to update them a week ago
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Unfortunately, seems like Magisk devs are going to drop modules repository and updates, but I was still able to update them a week ago
Modules are gone from 24.3. I thought it was me for awhile there lol I thought it hadn't installed properly.

You can still get the official modules from GitHub repository and utilise the "Install from storage" feature.

There's a third party on Fdroid called "Fox's Magisk Module Manager" (Fox's Mmm for short) that lets you just install direct from the official repo and two other unofficial Magisk repos.

As for use of modules, I have terminal systemizer and busybox if needs be, have tried the ExtSD module in my ongoing obsessive quest to make OTG storage marginally useful even though it's really targeted at Oreo (still works the best overall, after downloading through CC it's the only thing that can read the size of each book on SD, everything else shows 0 but still cannot open the books). Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut 3.2.1 has made that worse. Yay.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:59 AM   #4
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@bazookajoe,

Yeah, I’ve seen FMMM, but it coincides with my hard times with Magisk 24, so I wouldn’t like to try it again

For FW, why wouldn’t you downgrade?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magisk, modules