Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
XMasterrrr
XMasterrrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best 9.7" E-Book reader

Hello,

I'm a programmer and interested in Computer science which makes me needing to read a lot of "Heavy" Technincal textbooks so that i need a large screen e-reader...

i am thinking about Onyx Boox M92, PocketBook 912, and Ectaco Jetbook Color also your opinions are welcome

what do you think?

Thanks.
XMasterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
XMasterrrr

Also i was putting Galaxy Tab 10.1 in consideration, my reading is technical and academic
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMasterrrr View Post
Also i was putting Galaxy Tab 10.1 in consideration, my reading is technical and academic
Don't forget the iPad.

Frankly, most any large screen tablet offers a better value that a similarly priced ereader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
XMasterrrr

the comparison here is that i'm a linux user, and i adore android and the fact of getting iPad which is better making me sad, but i just found that iPad is 4:3 which is much better for reading, while android tabs are 16:9 which isn't any good for technical books...

and the fact of that they both aren't ink devices also scares me...

i'm puzzled...

Last edited by XMasterrrr; 07-02-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I'm currently using an Archos 80 G9. It has a 4:3 screen layout but is only 8" sized. However, I use it for a lot of comic book and magazine reading and it works just fine. The 10" version has the standard 16:9 layout which makes it the same width and just a little longer, screen-wise.

As far as not being e-ink, I guess you are referring to battery life. Under heavy, constant usage, I get about 7+ hours out of it. Normal usage varies depending on what is being done, but I have gotten up to 18 hours out of the device between charges. The screen usage is the highest battery consumer and unless I am trying to use it in very bright conditions, keep the screen brightness down below 50%. I'm sure I could get a little better battery life if I turned off the wireless, but it seems to not be that big of an issue on battery draining.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
I just acquired an Onyx M92 for PDF reading and so far, with my light usage, I am pretty happy with the reading experience. It is pretty speedy for page turns/seeking, in large, complex PDFs, at least as far as I can tell so far. Those same PDFs would bring my PRS-950 to a crawl (really unusable), so I'm very, very happy with my M92.
The only part so far which does not seem up to par is the the dictionary, which somehow displays English and Chinese characters. Also, after bringing up the dictionary, the initial display of the main text after the dictionary overlay popped up is not that great until you refresh the screen (icon in bottom right hand corner). I didn't use the dictionary much so far, nor did I use annotation at all, so perhaps someone else could chime in.
Another minor gripe: I would like a two page view, for books with one language on one page, and a translation on the next, but so far I could not find that option.
Dictionaries can be added, but it's not perfect (case sensitive, other issues too):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178853
Having to use the stylus to navigate is annoying, but nothing that I didn't know beforehand.

So far there does not seem to be any firmware updates available for the M92 (I'm on 1.6.x, sorry, don't remember the full version).

I also have an Android 10.1" tablet (middle of the road Lenovo Ideapad K1), but personally I wouldn't dream of reading books on it due to LCD eye strain over time, though others might get a completely different experience using a tablet for lengthy reading.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Just another voice for a tablet, whether iPad or Android, over a large screen LCD device for reading large, complicated, PDFs.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Personally, I love my Galaxy Pad 10.1, purchased specifically for reading computer science (and other) PDFs. I use Aldiko as my reader, which can be set to always display your books in portrait mode.

Eagerly awaiting the promised upgrade this month or next to ICS.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
You might consider the HTC Jetstream, an Android 3.1 system. This tablet started out last year for about $800 and didn't sell well at that price. AT&T is selling a 'refurbished' unit for about $350 + 1 month service plan ($14.99 + tax) and on ebay there are several used/refurb for sale. I purchased one on ebay for $244 last month - the reason such a large discount was that these are demos that were stuck to a mount with suction cups. When removed the cups caused minor denting of the metal backplate. With an enclosing case, the minor dents can't be seen, and anyway have no effect on its performance. It looks (except for the denting) and behaves as though new.

I'm very pleased with it; rooted it, and used it for several weeks - works perfectly with pdf books using either Ezpdf or Mantano Reader apps; of course it doesn't need to be rooted to use these apps. Also has satellite gps (unlike the IPad), so one can have free (no cell phone service charges) superb 10.1" maps for traveling if one buys a gps app such as 'copilot live' that stores maps on the tablet sdcard. Although you indicate you like the IPad dimensions better than Android tablet ones, I haven't found any difficulty with reading pdf books. Using Mantano Reader, I simply assure the height fills the screen - there is a bit of open space on each side of the page but so what? With such clear and large text/images essentially everything should be easily visible.

The seller I purchased mine from has a new batch of similar units for $240 with 14 day return.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Jetstrea...item20c6b90002

Last edited by bobcdy; 07-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
the comparison here is that i'm a linux user, and i adore android and the fact of getting iPad which is better making me sad, but i just found that iPad is 4:3 which is much better for reading, while android tabs are 16:9 which isn't any good for technical books...

and the fact of that they both aren't ink devices also scares me...

i'm puzzled...
Just to remind: the MacOsX and the IOS are based on Unix.
You can run almost equally capable debian binaries on it. I have even done c/c++ compilation on my old old ipod touch 1g. I think there is even a version of X for ios.

Last edited by rhari79; 07-04-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: grammar
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Hello,

I'm a programmer and interested in Computer science which makes me needing to read a lot of "Heavy" Technincal textbooks so that i need a large screen e-reader...

i am thinking about Onyx Boox M92, PocketBook 912, and Ectaco Jetbook Color also your opinions are welcome

what do you think?

Thanks.
Everytime I see post like this, I like to chime in

I'm an engineer , database admin. I mainly read computer and IT related books. The best solution for my was an IPad.

I tried Kindle DXG but was too slow (a shame that Amazon does not want to invest on that device)

My Kindle Touch is now a second better alternative thanks to the new landscape mode that was absent before. But I just love iPad's screen size and speed.

The iPad also let you read PDf files via GoodReader app which in my opinion, is the best PDF app for tablets.

I vote for iPad or any 10 inches Android tablet , like Samsung.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Just another voice for a tablet, whether iPad or Android, over a large screen LCD device for reading large, complicated, PDFs.
I second this. I use an iPad for all my professional/ academic reading, and it's excellent for that purpose.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I have a Le Pan II 10" android tablet and I don't really like it for reading. It's heavy and has a short battery life. the worst thing is reading on an LCD screen. I have difficulty sleeping if I use one (or use a computer with one) right before bed. Otherwise I'd stick with it. I've recently purchased a pocketbook 912. It's not much lighter but I hope other benefits make it worthwhile.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Hi how bout Kindle DX Graphite (it is a good detailed review here) , it maybe old but if you aim for the right time, you can get it with two hundred something USD from Amazon. Personally, I think tablet is not good for ebook reading, it is not eye friendly at all. I've spend around 8 hours in front of a computer everyday and I don't think read ebook from tablet is a good idea.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
celticgirl
Enthusiast
celticgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo SONY
I too am trying to decide what ereader to buy for academic PDF's the key thing is- is that most of the time you need to annotate, highlight, underline whatever. Second key is e-ink easier on the eyes. Unfortunately, you can't do that on the Kindle DX, which completely baffles me. At the moment, trying to decide between Onyx M92 or PB 912, but I see a lot of unhappy people. I have no idea what to do.
celticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote