Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
marina2042
marina2042 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Kindle trouble :(

So I finally got a kindle touch...never had a dedicated reader before. I loaded some of my documents/books and when I try and get past page 3, the kindle freezes and I get ...... on page 4 on.

I buy my books from other places online so although its .mobi format its not Amazons. I've never had issues with these files on my ipad kindle app so not sure why an actual kindle would have problems. Any ideas before I take it back?
marina2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Let someone else try the book. If it only happens with one book the file could be corrupted. I have books from all sources on mine and no issue.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
marina2042

it opens the books when i search for them in my library. As soon as I try to view page 4 on in my library, kindle freezes and eventually shows me ..... on page 4-6
Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by marina2042 View Post
So I finally got a kindle touch...never had a dedicated reader before. I loaded some of my documents/books and when I try and get past page 3, the kindle freezes and I get ...... on page 4 on.

I buy my books from other places online so although its .mobi format its not Amazons. I've never had issues with these files on my ipad kindle app so not sure why an actual kindle would have problems. Any ideas before I take it back?
I think you need to explain a little better what you are doing. I'm not even sure what you mean by "it is mobi format but not Amazon's." A large percentage of the books I put on my Kindle are from other sources and even sometimes originally other sources that I converted to mobi using Calibre. I've never had a problem with a device only displaying 4 pages. I've had conversion problems but never really display problems once the file is converted.

So I think people might be able to help better if you said

What were the documents orginally (pdf, doc, ePub, html etc)
how did you convert them
Can you view the entire mobi book on your computer (using mobi reader, calibre, kindle for pc etc)

Then how are you transferring - using the usb cable, via Amazon whispersync?

Also, what Kindle device are you using, Touch, Keyboard, Fire, Kindle 4? Oh nevermind, I see you have a touch.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
marina2042

Sure! I can do that. My books are all in .mobi format (with a few converted from epub). I used Calibre when converting from epub.

I can view the files fine on my PC, Kindle ipad app and even on the kindle itself; my problem is being able to view more then 3 pages of items in my library. I am using the usb cable that came with my kindle.

I have the new wifi kindle touch with special offers.
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Is it freezing on all your books or just some? Have you tried downloading some of the free books from amazon and/or samples to see if the same occurs? If it does it may be a faulty kindle.

Also worth trying to reboot the kindle.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Just to clarify, it freezes when you are viewing the list of books on your Kindle, not on page four of a particular book?

That's how it sounds to me. And if so, perhaps the Kindle is still indexing the books you have loaded onto it, and it's freezing when you get to page four of the list because it hasn't indexed those books yet?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
marina2042

That is exactly what its doing! It's freezing when I am trying to go beyond page 3 for list of books. It's not showing me that it's indexing any items .
Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Arcadian
Arcadian began at the beginning.

Device: KK, K4, K5, KT, KF, PW1, PW2, PW3,Voyage
It's possible one of the transferred .mobi files is corrupt. Have you tried changing the sort order of books on the kindle, and then check to see if it locks up on a different page?

You may want to make note of the files that do show up on the listing, and then delete all the others from the kindle, and add them back one at a time to see if you can identify a book that is causing the problem. A hassle, I know, but it may be worth the effort...
Arcadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
+1 to what Arcadian posted. Apart from that the only other thing I'd try is making sure your Kindle is fully charged and reset it by holding the power button for 20+ seconds. Oh and open up a few books and browse through a few pages on them to see if there are any other freezes happening.

After a reset and full charge, I'd personally remove all the books from the Kindle, and add them in small batches of 5 books at a time, checking as you go to see if there are any freezes.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I had similar, although it wasn't all the books in my collection.

When I had it sorted by collection (or I think title) it was at the end, so I thought it was all of them after a certain point, but then I sorted alpha by author and was able to pin it down somewhere between George and Harlan. It helped that I was able to go to the last page and work my way back. BTW the problem was on page 60 of 154, so I had way too many books on there to just want to start over.

Since I was pretty sure at that point it was a book that was somewhere between George and Harlan, I just took all those off and it went away, then I added them back a couple at a time until it came back. It took a while and I was fairly irritated, but it seems ok now. Still not convinced about Kindle Touch but at least that problem is fixed. My collections were kind of screwed up before too, and at some point in trying to fix I re-imported them (since I was close to just deleting everything anyway), and it seemed to fix that too.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
marina2042

it was the kindle...i exchanged it and now its working great! Sprung for 3g but as long as it works its fine.