Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
anthonymoody
anthonymoody began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Would someone be kind enough to check the attached PDF on a DR1000 please?

I want an e-reader for 1 reason - I have to read many many scripts, almost 100% of which are circulated as PDFs. I hate printing 100 pages, reading once, and tossing into the recycling bin. I've tried reading on my laptop screen but don't enjoy doing so.

I'd deeply appreciate it if someone could put the attached file on their DR and let me know how it looks. If a screenshot is possible that'd be absolutely fantastic!

Many thanks in advance,
TM

Last edited by anthonymoody; 05-06-2009 at 09:01 AM.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Gualtiero
Gualtiero began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Book Edition - DR1000S
Tried your PDF on my DR.
It looks fine.
Can't get any screenshot because I do not have a digital camera.
You should not have any problem reading it.
But this is my own opinion of course.
Gualtiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
SInce it's only text, you should read it in the DR very well.

And if you don't mind to do a simple conversion, you can read it well in any other cheaper but smaller ereader. (The conversion would alow you to read with the font size you'd like, as an A$ sized PDF in a 6" screen would be a little bit small, unless you zoom it, of course).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
anthonymoody
anthonymoody began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you both very much, I appreciate it.

Re: doing a conversion and reading it on a different device...one of the main things about scripts is the layout. It's not especially complex, but it's very specific. So you get used to them looking a certain way, and trying to read them with different layouts feels almost like reading another language or something.

Anyway, a user on another forum emailed it to their Kindle and it killed the layout. I'm still trying to get someone to convert it (perhaps using calibre) to see if it can be done in a better way, but so far no luck.

I'd prefer the Kindle in general b/c it's smaller, lighter, and has the amazon-sponsored ecosystem going for it (even though i recognize that that also presents limitations...) but I *really* need it for script reading so...a dilemma.

Many thanks,
TM
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Here you go. Keep in mind one other benefit of the DR1000 vs. Kindle and similar: besides being able to properly view the script (at more zoom levels as per 1.5 update), you can also annotate it. The current implementation may not be perfect, but it does work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GreenwichScript.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	848.3 KB
ID:	23034  
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I want an e-reader for 1 reason - I have to read many many scripts, almost 100% of which are circulated as PDFs. I hate printing 100 pages, reading once, and tossing into the recycling bin. I've tried reading on my laptop screen but don't enjoy doing so.

I'd deeply appreciate it if someone could put the attached file on their DR and let me know how it looks. If a screenshot is possible that'd be absolutely fantastic!

Many thanks in advance,
TM
its from my iphone camera but it looks great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	23038  
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Hi, I 've got a question very similar ut with a much more condensed Pdf scientific document..
Could someone try to read this document ?
Thanks a lot in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TD-Article_1.pdf (467.4 KB, 319 views)
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Huyggy,

I tried the PDF you uploaded. Takes about 6 seconds to load but then page turns are instant (in e-ink terms). The text is perfectly readable in full screen mode and article is easy to navigate at 150% zoom if you don't like reading small text. The images show the same level of detail as in Adobe Acrobat but it would be a different matter if they were in colour.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Thanks a lot for your test Epiphany

6 seconds... There weren't lots of heavy pictures however. But it's quite satisfactory.
Is it due to the PDF type (maybe faster with another document type ?)

Before choosing, I would be interested in another problem :Is there a fan on a DR1000 (in other words: is it quiet ?)
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
Thanks a lot for your test Epiphany

6 seconds... There weren't lots of heavy pictures however. But it's quite satisfactory.
Is it due to the PDF type (maybe faster with another document type ?)

Before choosing, I would be interested in another problem :Is there a fan on a DR1000 (in other words: is it quiet ?)
3-8 seconds is typically what it takes to open a document on the DR1000S and I don't think changing formats would make it any faster. If you are concerned about that, be aware the DR1000S takes about 50 seconds to turn on and currently doesn't have a hibernate feature.

E-ink devices use flash memory and so have no moving parts and are silent.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote