Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
ereadernieuws
ereadernieuws began at the beginning.

Device: Boox A60
Hanvon 6" e-reader with SiPix screen???

The German retail company ALDI supermarkets apparently has announced that, starting July 24, it will sell a Hanvon 6" e-reader under its own electronics brand name Medion in the Netherlands. However, on the ALDI or Medion websites, there is no mention of this news.

This OEM device is said to sport Wifi, 2GB memory, 16 grayscale, etc. Therefore, I assume it is the N618, especially since the retail price will be € 229.

My question is, according to the news source(s), this device will use SiPix screen technology, not E-Ink. Can anyone confirm this? None of the devices on the Hanvon website use SiPix.
ereadernieuws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Are you sure it's Hanvon? It does not look like any of their ereaders.

It can't be N618, anyway, since its "WiFi-less" version (N610) is sold by an Italian retailer at 325 € (!)

http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/ebook/products.html
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
Are you sure it's Hanvon? It does not look like any of their ereaders.

It can't be N618, anyway, since its "WiFi-less" version (N610) is sold by an Italian retailer at 325 € (!)

http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/ebook/products.html
I agree
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
ereadernieuws

Thanks for your swift responses, I thought as much. With its large OEM and sales force, no doubt ALDI can make a huge deal with Hanvon. But still, I doubt its a SiPix screen and that it has all the specs the articles in the Netherlands mention. This is what you get when everyone quotes the same source, I guess.... I'll try to find out what device it really is. If nothing else, we'll see on July 24th.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
ereadernieuws

Here might be the answer: it's not the Hanvon N618, but the 4FFF N618 e-reader! See the specs at ubergizmo:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...ok_reader.html
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
It's built by Qisda and sold under the BenQ brand, among others.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
stokking
stokking began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I found the following site for the 4FFF N618:
http://translate.google.nl/translate...%2Fn-1896.html

I used google translate to make sense of the Chinese. The Dutch news site tweakers.net does say it is the 4FFF N618 by the way, and this site is usually informed very well.
stokking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokking View Post
Hi,

I found the following site for the 4FFF N618:
http://translate.google.nl/translate...%2Fn-1896.html

I used google translate to make sense of the Chinese. The Dutch news site tweakers.net does say it is the 4FFF N618 by the way, and this site is usually informed very well.
The link you provided talks about how people can rotate a netbook vertically and read, nothing related to Hanvon device. BTW, I really cannot make any sense out of the google translation, it's so way off from the original Chinese.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I think it's possible that it's a Sipix display. I found a Sipix-based reader which was just released in China. It's name is EQ-600. Here is a picture of it and I think it looks exactly like your reader. I've wrote more on Sipix in this thread, where you can also find more links on how Sipix looks compared to E-Ink.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
And what's even more funny is that Benq seems to be selling this reader since spring under the name nReader K60. More to be found Here, here and here.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox

Last edited by scheichxodox; 07-17-2010 at 07:39 AM.
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
And what's even more funny is that Benq seems to be selling this reader since spring under the name nReader K60. More to be found Here, here and here.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Also more can be found here:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/category/benq/

I'm pretty sure it is a Sipix screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
stokking
stokking began at the beginning.

Device: none
new link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
The link you provided talks about how people can rotate a netbook vertically and read, nothing related to Hanvon device. BTW, I really cannot make any sense out of the google translation, it's so way off from the original Chinese.
I'm sorry, I think I messed up due to google translate. Here is the proper link:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...YJ6jD2rOFSaELg

And yes, translation is off, but still an interesting read.

Hans
stokking is offline   Reply With Quote