Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
ghayton48@hotmai
ghayton48@hotmai began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyager
Can't open my calibre library

I click on my calibre icon to open up calibre but nothing happens.
I have also tried right clicking and pressing open but again nothing.
It worked ok earlier in the week and as far as i know all i have done is added some more books to my library of over 7500.
As far as I can remember I am using version 5.33 and i'm using Windows 10
Can anyone help as would be shattered if I lost my Library??
Thank you
ghayton48@hotmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #2
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Please open the Windows command prompt and issue this command.

Code:
calibre-debug -g
and post the output in a reply. Then someone can see if something obvious is happening.

This command will try to start calibre in debug mode and then show the GUI but it also displays some additional messages which might help to identify your issue.

The command prompt has a select (mark) copy and paste available from the drop down menu on the command prompt icon in the windows' title box if required.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
ghayton48@hotmai

i have done that and it just brings up the line C:\users\ghayt> ready to input code again presumably??
Do not know how to post this output?
Old 12-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes type in the prompt box what I wrote in the box marked code: in the post above.

If Calibre starts up then just close the program as normal. It is doesn't start then continue below.
Then go back to the command prompt window and select all the text starting from the line where you entered calibre-debug -g and all the way down to the end of the output shown.

There is a drop down menu in the command prompt window when you click on the icon on that window's title line in the top left corner. The menu drops to show an edit sub menu which you can click and see the options. Click "select all" then click back on the icon, click on edit, click "copy" to copy all of the selected text.

Now come here start a reply and paste the text that you have just copied.

Last edited by georgemk; 12-08-2021 at 04:41 PM. Reason: punctuation and spelling
Old 12-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
ghayton48@hotmai

I have entered Calibre-debug -g and it tells me that 'calibre-debug' is not recognised as an external or internal command, operable programme or batch file. and then prompts me to enter it again??
Advert
Old 12-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
ghayton48@hotmai

I then followed instructions re command prompt window but there is no selected text to copy
Old 12-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
georgemk
Addict

In that case you will need to go to the directory where Calibre is installed and try again from there.

For example, if Calibre is installed at C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ , you need to type
Code:
cd  C:\Program Files\Calibre2\
into the command prompt window first.

And just to ensure that the program is found type
Code:
.\calibre-debug.exe -g
Th extra characters will tell windows to look in the current directory for the file to execute.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
ghayton48@hotmai

Sorry about my ignorance but how do I find the directory
I really appreciate the help you are trying to give me
Thanks
Old 12-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
By default under Windows, calibre will install into C:\Program Files\Calibre2 unless you install the 32 bit version on a 64 bit system in which case if will be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2. The other exception is if you have installed the portable version of calibre in which case you got to decide where it was installed.

So "C:\Program Files\Calibre2"\calibre-debug.exe -g is likely what you would need to use to run calibre from the command prompt. If that doesn't work, try "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2"\calibre-debug.exe -g. If you copy and paste, include the "s since the path has spaces in it. The version below uses a variable for the location of the Program Files directories just in case you are using a non-standard location. If you are using calibre portable, it's left as an exercise for the student to locate the executable.

Code:
"%PROGRAMFILES%"\Calibre2\calibre-debug.exe -g

"%PROGRAMFILES%(x86)"\Calibre2\calibre-debug.exe -g
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #10
ghayton48@hotmai

Hi David
I entered your suggestions re calibre2 in Windows and found it under the x86 folder
I then entered the two x86 suggestions in the command prompt and it either said nothing or it could not find the path specified
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1348]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\ghayt>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2"\calibre-debug.exe -g

C:\Users\ghayt>
C:\Users\ghayt>"%PROGRAMFILES%(x86)"Calibre2\calib re-debug.exe -g
The system cannot find the path specified.

Not sure what to do now?
Thanks
Old 12-10-2021, 07:24 AM   #11
ghayton48@hotmai

Hi Georgemk
Tried your latest suggestion using the x86 version but it just said the system could not find the path specified??

C:\Users\ghayt>cd C:\Program Files(x86)\Calibre2\.\calibre-debug.exe -g

Old 12-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
1. cd C:\Program Files(x86)\Calibre2
2. calibre-debug -g
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:37 AM   #13
georgemk
Addict

As Jon said, it is 2 separate commands which must be completed successfully and separately.
First command is to change to the directory where the program files are kept and must be completed by itself and will bring up the command prompt again.
Then run the second command to run the program in the directory you moved to in the first command.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Oddly, the single line command works on my system.

@ghayton48: If possible, can you take a look at your C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 directory and see what executable files are in there?

Spoiler:
Code:
C:\Users\David>"%PROGRAMFILES%"\Calibre2\calibre-debug.exe -g
calibre 5.33.2 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.22000 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.22000')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.22000', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 81.55183946488295 x 81.64285714285714
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.00] Showing splash screen...
[0.66] splash screen shown
[0.66] Initializing db...
[0.69] db initialized
[0.69] Constructing main UI...

DEBUG:    1.7 No Kobo Touch, Glo or Mini appears to be connected
DEBUG:    1.7 rebuild_menus - self.supports_ratings=None, self.supports_tiles=None
DEBUG:    1.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - start: text='None'
DEBUG:    1.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - setting to text='Utilities to use with Kobo ereaders

Driver: KoboTouch'
[4.33] main UI initialized...
[4.33] Hiding splash screen
Starting QuickView
[4.72] splash screen hidden
[4.72] Started up in 2.72 seconds with 39 books
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #15
ghayton48@hotmai

Hi Jon

C:\Users\ghayt>cd C:\Program Files(x86)\Calibre2

C:\Users\ghayt>calibre-debug -g

Tried that but same result?