View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Onyx M92 - Are you happy with the Build Quality?! Possible reason for defect screens

Hello guys,

After doing tons of research on big screen ebookreaders for school- and technical books I finally bought an Onyx M92 in black and at first I was quite happy with it, especially the software is on it is great!

Now after having spend some time reading with it there are some things I noticed, which aren't so good:

1. The resolution doesn't seem to be sufficient enough for reading magazines in full page view(without zooming into every paragraph) This is of course subjective and I could live with it!

2. The build quality isn't really that good! The case has alot of small gaps. See below

I noticed the inner plastic frame has a slight gap or slot between itselve and the actual E-ink Display. The problem with this is that small debris or dust grains can easily come between the frame and the E-Ink Display and very slight pressure on the Frame can cause the Display to be destroyed! This happens because the grains apply pressure on a very small area.

If you look around a little bit, the biggest defect seems to be a broken display, and alot of these people only had the M92 for a few months or don't even know why their display broke because they didn't actually drop it and took care of it.

Here are some examples for defect displays where the Owners can't explain how it happened:

M92 Screen broken..

M92 Screen doesn't work

E-Ink Readers pissing me off

Now there are alot more users who have reported a broken screen and here are only 3 examples, if you look in the threads you often see people describing similiar situations (when they cant explain how the screen broke) If you search a bit more you will find a total of about 10 or more people who had broken screens, just that they dont explain often how it happened!

I thought about some solutions but haven't applied any. I am also thinking about sending the reader back.

Some solutions could be taping the inner frame to the display with normal tape (messy solution) or even glueing it (warranty fail!)

What do you guys think I should do? There is still the Hanvon E920 which has a higher resolution, a capacitive touchscreen but weighs more, has a worse software and needs to be imported from china.

Thanks in advance!
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote