View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There is a 3.4GB offline version of Wikipedia. I have a copy, and I'm going to try to turn it into an ebook.
I recently had the same idea. But since the 2008 Wikipedia is just TOO huge I went looking for a smaller (earlier) version to convert to an ebook. I settled on the 2006 Wikipedia SOS Children CD converted from an existing plucker .pdb version. See this thread for more info and screenshots.

Quote:
I've been looking at it today. The text by itself is only 400MB, and I should be able to cut that in half (or more) by removing most of the formatting.
My conversion of the 2006 Wikipedia CD showed that a text only (omitting images) ebook resulted in a manageable 15-20 MB ebook without any reformatting or tweaking.

Quote:
The images take up the other 3GB. I expect to be able to reduce this to 1GB by abandoning the highest resolution images and by eliminating the duplicate images. I might get it even further.
For the images, I found converting them to 4-bit (color) .gif worked best and if you use ifranview, then you can also automatically convert the larger images down to max. size 300x300 (or 150x150 which the plucker .pdb had).

My initial tests showed that if the max. image size is 300x300, then all the (160 MB) images on the 2006 CD occupy about 60 MB whereas the 150x150 max ones only occupied about 27 MB.

As a test, I actually loaded a 50MB .imp of the 2006 Wikipedia onto my REB1200 and it worked flawlessly!!! Legacy reader my a**!

Cheers,

p.s. BTW, we seem to have the same tastes in converting HUGE ebooks, so I'll throw one at you that I have not managed to try. It's the www.imdb.com!

Others that I've already done, but can't distribute due to copyrights, are:
--> CIA_World_Factbook_2005 - 13MB (you know about this one)
--> Biographies of Mathematicians (link) - 28 MB
--> The Encyclopedia of World History - Ancient, Medieval, and Modern, 6th ed (link) - 12MB (www.bartleby.com/67 site no longer available, try this archived site instead)
--> NAB-New American Bible for Catholics (2002) (link) - 15MB
--> Sacred Texts - Secret Teachings of All Ages (link) - 16MB
--> Sacred Texts - Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci (link) - 15MB
--> Euclid (The Elements) (link) - 4MB

Last edited by nrapallo; 05-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote