View Full Version : Epub revision - alignment with broadly-adopted Web standards

Nate the great
04-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Incomplete alignment with broadly-adopted Web standards. EPUB 2.0.1 is built on numerous horizontal industry standards. However, these building-block standards, and the Web browsers that implement them, are rapidly evolving and the versions of these standards utilized in 2006 when EPUB 2.0 was formulated are no longer current. Since most distributed Reading Systems utilize Web browsers to present content to end users, and many standalone Reading Systems utilize Web browser rendering technologies in their implementations, it is desirable to improve alignment with Web standards as implemented by modern browsers.

Any thoughts?

frabjous
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Better support for CSS 2.1 would definitely be a plus.

In particular, support of things like the letter-spacing property would really be useful, so I wouldn't have to resort to the kinds of workarounds discussed in this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79292).

DawnFalcon
04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Better support for CSS 2.1 would definitely be a plus.

Or ePub could switch to an XML-based styling language which could actually be properly implemented, and would suit working with rectangles far better. Just saying...

Either that, or simply adopt a browser rendering engine wholesale. I'm sure Mozilla would be perfectly willing to cooperate...

Nate the great
04-08-2010, 09:38 PM
There were a couple off topic threads in this thread and I removed them.

Please folks, let's keep this small subset of threads on topic.

charleski
04-08-2010, 10:38 PM
While I'd certainly like to see fuller support of CSS2 and eventually support for CSS3 (or XSL-FO), I think the most important thing is that epub avoid the mess that has been made of browser 'standards' over the past decade, with web designers having to resort to numerous tricks to get pages to render correctly in different types of browsers. While the vast bulk of the blame for that lies squarely at the feet of Microsoft, other browsers aren't completely guilt-free.

A 2.1 revision of the spec should aim at adding a few new elements of CSS to broaden support for important typographic features as frabjous mentioned, but should also aim to produce an exact and mandatory specification of the rendered output of each feature.