Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like long or short novels?
Really Short (less than 60K words) 3 2.19%
Short about 80K is right 7 5.11%
Medium (somewhere 'tween 80-120K) is perfect 16 11.68%
Long (give it to me baby. Stephen King is my idol) 62 45.26%
Don't care 49 35.77%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #61
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Shogun was a long read....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #62
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Shogun was a long read....
Long is relative. Compared to a pulp novel of the 1950s and 60s, yes it was long. Compared to some of the multi-volume epics that are common in the Fantasy Genre... it was quite terse .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #63
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
One of the things I have been pondering on is whether the idea of the "ideal" length of a novel has been determined by our culture or the "risk" cost of paper.

I like a "good" thick, door-stopper, something that really grips for ages. Of course the story is what matters, but I think there's enough evidence to say the business of publishing books has established "risk standards" that have led to an overall shortening of the length of the average novel.

What do you think?
I have avoided "doorstoppers" since I can remember (even in teenage years.) I like to read books in a single sitting or perhaps two, at most three settings unless I am traveling. A doorstopper just looks like work to me, while a good book at about 80 to maybe 95 or so--that's a few hours by the pool, a lounge day with cakes and tea...it's a day off. Anything that takes me more than about 6 hours just isn't my cuppa.

(I have read and enjoyed a few doorstoppers such as LOTR, but they are exceptions that I read when much younger. Time is even more critical to me now and I do check the number of locations. I simply don't want a book that is too long for my time allotment.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #64
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I'm all about the drama. I prefer long because there is more room to describe the characters so I can have a personal love hate relationship with them. Haha.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #65
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
I'd like a novel to continue as long as it can entertain me. As soon as it stops being entertaining it can end That's why I like sequels and series where each individual book as a proper story; I can stop after any individual book.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #66
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
One of the advantages of my e-reader, is:

a Vely Long Novel is just as light as a 2 Stanza poem
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #67
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
What is interesting to me about the answers coming back is I suspected that people do like long books, but agents consistently say that they will reject a novel based on word count alone.

The result of this survey so far, indicates that "debut" authors going the trad publishing route are at a disadvantage with a large portion of readers who like long novels.
You also have to consider the source, meaning that most of the people here are so into reading we've gone out and spent hundreds of dollars and high tech ways to read/carry more books. I'd bet you results would be much different if you took this pole over to some less reading oriented site.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #68
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
If the story has me tied to my seat, then it should be long. I have read good novels that were short, of course. However I like to read about the lives of people, fictional or otherwise, and most lives last a bit longer than 2 days
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #69
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Would any authors out there care to comment on whether they find it easier to write long or or short fiction?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #70
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
If a book is good I don't care how long it is. Some days I like to read short novels (about 200 pages) but other times I love a long one. I'm talking 600-1000 pages for a long one.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #71
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
You also have to consider the source, meaning that most of the people here are so into reading we've gone out and spent hundreds of dollars and high tech ways to read/carry more books. I'd bet you results would be much different if you took this pole over to some less reading oriented site.
Yes, agreed. However it is an observation in real world too. I took this survey to a physical level and using my usual incredibly scientific methods placed three very thick books and three very slim books on a table in a bookstore (said bookstore shall remain unnamed for fear of reprisal). I then planted myself nearby with a Cappuccino and watched. Almost without fail people looked at the thick books first (only one person stubbornly picked up all three slim books before paying attention to the thick books).

Now one could say that people in a bookstore are also people who are really into reading and I'd have to agree with you - the only other place I can think of is the bookstore at the airport that I regularly travel through.
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote