Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #31
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I just looked at the Amazon site. They still seem to show the cover that has been causing the problems UNLESS they have found it - and they have made no announcement that they discovered what the real issue is.

So far, at least, the LIGHTED cover from amazon does not cause these problems. Otherwise there are a ton of covers but most secure using straps at the 4 corners which some folks don't like.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #32
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
Id say 90% of my freezes on the K3 occurred in the browser. I am also using the lighted case so that could be part of the issue. Maybe ill take it out of the case and some surfing as a test.
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #33
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
The browser is shown as "Experimental" so it is a beta system. One can only expect bugs in a beta.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #34
Jema
Jema began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, I talked to Amazon twice more yesterday--really, they should keep their representatives up to speed. Everyone has a different story. The last guy yesterday said it was cases made around September that were buggy (but maybe he just said that because that's when I got mine). I took it out of the case as you advised and it works fine. They are refunding my case amount and I bought an M-Edge case because the case does not physically engage with the kindle, which has to be the issue, right?

I wonder if anyone has a more recent case that is the problem. Maybe what he meant was they took all the cases from that batch off the internet. But really, the representatives are generally nice but they don't seem to really KNOW what the problem is
Jema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #35
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Today I was refunded the amount of my cover and upgraded by being given an allowance for my cover. I have had so many freezes on my kindle if I happen to just close the cover of my kindle .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #36
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the cover for protection during storage and transportation, never during use. It seems to me that if the Kindle was intended to be used IN the cover, one would have been provided as part of the package. But, as I've said, to each his own.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #37
dboy77
dboy77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Frozen Kindle 3 needed charging via USB

I had my first experience of my Kindle 3 freezing a few days ago. No sign of life at all, even the power LED was dead. I charged the Kindle using the power adapter supplied and then tried the suggestions in this thread to rest it, but nothing worked.

Amazon support suggested connecting it to my PC instead of the power adapter, and at this point the power LED did light up (amber) but it wouldn't mount in Windows as a drive, and it still didn't start.

Amazon support then had me do a hard reset:

1. Hold power key on for 20 seconds
2. Let go of power key and hold the Home key for 20 seconds

Still nothing, until 20 minutes later when it spontaneously reset itself and booted up with factory defaults. My guess is that when it froze it couldn't power down, and used up the entire charge in the battery, leaving it unable to do anything, even reset.

I'm posting here because I haven't seen any other threads that mention the fact that you might need to charge the device via USB rather than using the power adapter. My power adapter still works, but for whatever reason it would not charge the Kindle from the 100% flat battery state it was in.
dboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #38
mldavis2
Coffee Nut

Interesting. When mine seemed to freeze, it also did not light the LED. I solved my problem by a total charge with the adapter, not the USB. I did note that it took quite some time before the LED lit orange during the charge cycle, so perhaps you did not wait long enough. I charged it until it was a full (green) charge before trying to control it. As I recall, the screensaver did appear some time after starting the charge. The charge rate should not be any different between the adapter and the USB power sources.

There are long threads here about the possible causes of this freeze. The latest and best is that when using the unlighted Kindle cover, the cover hooks are coated with paint. In the winter especially, heat dries out the air and increases static buildup which can cause problems with the Kindle. Since the paint on the hooks act as a partial insulator, the static charge may build up and then arc into the Kindle causing the lockup.

The current thinking is that you can either blank the screen (5-seconds on the power switch) before inserting the cover hooks, OR scrape paint from the hooks which decreases static buildup. In any case, if you go the blank screen route, do not use the Kindle in the unlighted cover. If you like the cover on, try scraping the hooks before using it in the cover. It is also a good idea to touch something to discharge yourself after walking across the room and before picking up any electronic device.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #39
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Mine reboots or freezes if there is static electricity when I get up from the chair and then put the Kindle down. I'm going to try to remember to touch something else before setting it down. I don't have a cover.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #40
lzmorgan
lzmorgan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Smile Kindle 3 Freeze

My solution: (Kindle 3 3G)
I first noticed that page refreshes were taking longer and longer. Second symptom was that the slide-release of the power switch did not put the Kindle to sleep. Holding it for as much as a minute did not restart the Kindle.
I used the Settings menu to restart, and it froze at "Please wait while your Kindle restarts."
FInally I took a paper clip and poked it into the reset hole. (Just to the left of the power/usb input.) That restarted my Kindle immediately, and all my content was present. Sleep and etc. worked perfectly thereafter.

Lisa Morgan
lzmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #41
kinkle
Connoisseur
kinkle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 3g and KT 3G
My kindle is totaly frozen from 5 hours at browser hitory. The battery is full. I try everythig to restart! Nothing work!
My pc don't see also the kindle. Please if you can help... What else can I do?

Last edited by kinkle; 12-16-2011 at 03:28 PM.
kinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #42
kinkle
Connoisseur
kinkle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 3g and KT 3G
Kindle is dead. still frozen. I called Amazon and will replace it in 5-6 days.
There is no need to return the defective Kindle. I was advised to take it to local municipal collection points for recycling.
kinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #43
DianeClock
DianeClock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle 3 Freezes

Thank you, it worked when I held the on/off switch down until it started working...
DianeClock is offline   Reply With Quote