Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
Any light, from any source, is going to be brighter nearest the source, and fall off in intensity further away from the source according to the inverse square ratios. It is a law of physics, and neither Amazon, or anyone else, can change it.
Sure, but it seems they could have designed a lens that evens out the light, directing more of it to more distant regions of the screen. Maybe such a thing could be created that fits this (materials from TAP plastics perhaps).

Last edited by tomsem; 08-27-2010 at 07:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Not only does it add bulk, but the light is so strong and concentrated on the top right hand corner of the device, it causes very uneven lighting.

Not sure how Amazon let this through to production. I think it's very annoying...

Anyone else not like the lighted cover?
Just got my cases! Haven't used them yet (gimme a sec!), but having both the lighted and non-lighted cover side by side, they look ALMOST identical in size. Bulk difference is LITERALLY negligible.

Report back in a few when tested both...
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #18
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

OK so... first... the lighted case is very cool, in theory. It has gold connectors for the bits that stick into the Kindle, so you don't need to plug anything into the bottom of the Kindle 3.

HOWEVER, as the original post suggests, the light is VERY uneven. Too bright in the top right, and not bright enough anywhere else.

HOWEVER (again), this is going to be very subjective. My wife looked at it for a few minutes and said, "MINE." So she's happy and I'm happy. She has a light whenever she needs it, rather than having to fish around for the clip-on light. And I'll stick with the clip-on light, personally.

For $60, personally, I think the case should be better than just "serviceable."
Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I suspected it would be that way, but honestly I never read with anything but normal room lighting. So, no biggie for me, but I am waiting for reviews on the new cover before I jump. I will just read with my kindle in the house only for a few weeks til I decide on just which cover to get as there is no way that dude is leaving the house without clothes on.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #20
DianaB
Voracious Reader
DianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Voyage
I just got my lighted cover and I like it. With my mighty bright clip-on light I would aim it at the top center of the Kindle 1 frame so there could be no glare on the page. This is pretty much the same, except the light is pointed at the top right corner of the frame. I like that I have one less thing to carry on a trip. I also like that it weighs much less than a clip-on light. I think it's a very clever design.

I should also say that the light does not come on unless it is fully extended with a "click". So I don't think there's any danger that the light will somehow drain the kindle battery when it's not in use. Also, the light goes off when the kindle goes to sleep, another battery-saving feature.

Last edited by DianaB; 08-27-2010 at 10:34 PM.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #21
MrT-Man
MrT-Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Just got my cases! Haven't used them yet (gimme a sec!), but having both the lighted and non-lighted cover side by side, they look ALMOST identical in size. Bulk difference is LITERALLY negligible.
This is very good news! Is the difference in weight also negligble?
MrT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #22
WilliamG
Addict

I will take some pictures and also weigh them for you this weekend. So hang in there.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #23
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
So far, I'm liking the lighted case. I don't have the issues trying to avoid glare that I do with the clip on Mighty Bright and it's convenient to have it right there.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't agree that the light makes the case bulky. It's pretty much the same thickness as the leather cases I have for my other reading devices. You want thick leather for protection, and it is the leather than makes up the bulk of the case, not the light.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #25
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
I was also thinking about getting this cover, but the light position and weight really seem to be a problem.

About these other AAA LED lights, how is the battery life with Eneloops?

I have a Fenix LD01 flashlight, which uses one AAA battery, and at the lowest setting it outputs 11 lumens and lasts for 8 hours. And that's painfully bright, I think the ideal for reading would be around 2-3 lumens. So I would expect a battery life of 20+ hours with one AAA battery, is that possible?

Yes, I have used the flashlight to read, especially in my car while waiting for someone at night. Actually I do that I lot, that's why I want a reading light. The problem with the flashlight is that its beam is too narrow, so to cover a whole book you need to have it far from the page, and it's hard to find a good position.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I guess I'm canceling my lighted case order again. I want to like this case, but I can tell from the pics that it will bug the snot out of me.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #27
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
I like the lighted case. True, the light is not exactly even across the screen and perhaps if I were spending many hours at a time using it it would annoy me, but for casual use it's more than fine. It's lighter than the Oberon case I have for the Nook as well I think so doesn't feel at all bulky for a protective case.

I must admit to being a little envious of the Octovo owners though...
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
penguintri
Enthusiast
penguintri began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
I've got the lighted case and it is good, but a bit heavy. Would be great if you could post a comparison in weight between the lighted and non-lighted cases.
penguintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #29
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Here are some facts about the battery drain from the cover. From the "Blog Kindle" review:

Buy doing some simple math we can calculate average current drains of about 2.4 mA with wireless completely off, 3.5 mA when running on WiFi and 7.3 mA when running on 3G + WiFi.

Many people are wondering about what would cover with built-in LED light do to the battery life. Luckily I had a digital multimeter and a piece of wire handy so I was able to measure the drain current of the cover as well. It turned out to be 76.6 milliamperes. This by an order a magnitude larger than what Kindle 3 consumes even with wireless on. So with LED light on battery life is going to be between 20.85 and 22.15 hours of constant reading. This is about twice as long as 10 hour battery life of Apple iPad.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #30
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintri View Post
I've got the lighted case and it is good, but a bit heavy. Would be great if you could post a comparison in weight between the lighted and non-lighted cases.
Someone on Amazon just posted a review of the non-lighted cover and said it weighed 5.5 ounces. I have heard the lighted cover weighs about 7.8 ounces.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote