Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #76
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911jason View Post
Has anyone had success changing the justification to left with this file? I tried, but didn't see any change. (Yes, I was on the Home screen and yes, I restarted after editing the file.)

Love the size 16 margins though! =)
Yes,

#User preferences for Reader Booklet
#Thu Sep 02 08:46:16 GMT+01:00 2010
FONT_SIZE=17
DICTIONARY=The New Oxford American Dictionary
LINE_SPACING=1
JUSTIFICATION=full
LAST_BOOK_READ=/mnt/us/documents/Hamilton, Peter F_/Evolutionary Void, The - Peter F. Hamilton.mobi
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=10
FONT_FAMILY=condensed

Where it says JUSTIFICATION=full change the full for left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-64449.gif
Views:	445
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	57732  

Last edited by grizedale; 09-06-2010 at 04:24 AM.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #77
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
That's what I did and it didn't work... Hmmmm...
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #78
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911jason View Post
That's what I did and it didn't work... Hmmmm...
The only reason that my initial tries did not work was that I still had a book open, other than that I do not know...

As soon as you have restarted, plug it into PC, edit the file, save and restart again, just a thought...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #79
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
It seems that if the book specifies full justification internally then that overrides the kindle's settings. At least that's what I read in another post somewhere, and it definitely seems to be the case.

I had a book that I'd converted from epub to mobi and it was still full-justified on the Kindle even after I'd changed the setting in the reader.pref file to "left". I went back to the epub, changed the justification in the stylesheet.css file to "left" , then re-converted it to mobi. After that the book displayed left-justified on the Kindle.

Of course if you've got a DRM'ed ebook and don't know how to liberate it, you're screwed; no fiddling around allowed.

And back on topic, big thanks to those who explained how to decrease the margins. The K3 is my first Kindle, really liking it so far, and this makes it even better.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #80
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Thanks MrSquash, I'll try it with a few different books to see what happens.
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #81
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Default margins and restarting

The default margin is 40 pixels on each edge (just under 1/4" at the 166 dpi of a K3), not 20 pixels on each edge as stated above.

Also, you must do a Soft restart using the Home/Menu/Setting/Menu/Restart sequence, or the changes in the reader.prefs file go away. If you turn the Kindle off entirely or do a Hard reset with the power button, the changes you have made will be undone, as the Kindle recopies the file from a hidden copy at power-on time.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 AM   #82
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Also, you must do a Soft restart using the Home/Menu/Setting/Menu/Restart sequence, or the changes in the reader.prefs file go away. If you turn the Kindle off entirely or do a Hard reset with the power button, the changes you have made will be undone, as the Kindle recopies the file from a hidden copy at power-on time.
Thanks for the extra info...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Delete this please
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #84
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Delete this please
Huh? What for? I used this to remove my way too wide default margins, thereby enhancing my K3, why on earth should it be deleted? Besides that, why should it be deleted (completely removed from mobileread) instead of a lock, not that I think it should be locked.

/shakes head
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
Huh? What for? I used this to remove my way too wide default margins, thereby enhancing my K3, why on earth should it be deleted? Besides that, why should it be deleted (completely removed from mobileread) instead of a lock, not that I think it should be locked.

/shakes head
I didn't say to delete the thread. I posted something and then decided it was wrong. As I cannot delete posts, I put in the post for it to be deleted. Nothing wrong with this thread at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #86
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't say to delete the thread. I posted something and then decided it was wrong. As I cannot delete posts, I put in the post for it to be deleted. Nothing wrong with this thread at all.
Lol, my apologies, that's the problem with the written word sometimes, it can carry different meanings

Move Along Nothing To See Here...
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:26 AM   #87
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
the default config file located under

/opt/amazon/ebook/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref.default
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #88
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Which is *NOT* the file you want to touch.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #89
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
After you edit the hidden prefs file you have to restart >>
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #90
grizedale
kindle Convert

Deleted message, posted in error