Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
PocketBook 901 video from Computex

Charbax has a nice video of what looks like the final device, see Pocketbook 901 is released. I'm not sure it is actually available for sale, and it is clearly designed for schools. I still want one, even with the garish colored keys.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
wallcraft, thank you for sharing this video here. 901 is not available for sale yet and is expected by the end of this year.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The screen looks really good.
So is the proposed price and feature set.
Looks light, too.
Would be nice if the software is compatible with existing Pocketbook platform (FBreader 180, themes, dictionaries, etc) though its not clear from the video if it is or not.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Exciting. I'm really looking forward to having an affordable 9" as a second device (for more variety & as backup).
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
The rainbow buttons need to go. "Funny buttons for kids"? Do not want.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
While I like the device (and the buttons ) as a (former) Business Management student I'm worried about the strategic consequences of this device. Don't get me wrong: I love the idea of a big, cheap e-Ink device. If the price is attractive enough I could even try and get it.

However, we're talking of Pocketbook, a brand known for its quality software which makes people pay a "premium" for their devices: PB360 is the most expensive of 5 inch devices and the 301+ is more expensive than the other Netronix clones. Doesn't it go against their market positioning if they release the cheapest and most no-frills model in another market segment?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
While I like the device (and the buttons ) as a (former) Business Management student I'm worried about the strategic consequences of this device. Don't get me wrong: I love the idea of a big, cheap e-Ink device. If the price is attractive enough I could even try and get it.

However, we're talking of Pocketbook, a brand known for its quality software which makes people pay a "premium" for their devices: PB360 is the most expensive of 5 inch devices and the 301+ is more expensive than the other Netronix clones. Doesn't it go against their market positioning if they release the cheapest and most no-frills model in another market segment?
Well, you seem to have a point. But PocketBook wants to provide a simple, handy tool for students and has done everything it could to reduce the price and still maintain the quality. The 901 will be available earlier in Europe than in the States, we are talking July/August here. As far as I know and this could still be changing, the colored buttons will only be one of 3 color choices.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the pricing/positioning issue: we're talking 3 to 6 months down the road.
There are things afoot that may well render a US$350 10in eReader a Premium-priced product rather than a cheap one. Kindle DX is *not* going to be $489 forever; it might easily be $399 or lower by August, when K3 comes out.
Two words: Android Tablets.
Two more words: Pandigital Novel. (Starting June 6, allegedly.)
Now, add-in three more: Kindle For Android.
No, US$350 is a fair target; you have to aim at the market of tomorrow, not the market of today.

That is why my concern is making sure the 901 can leverage the added value in the PB360 software ecosystem. As presented in the video, I would seriously consider buying one for my mother.
However, *if* it were built off the same software platform as the PB360 I could see myself buying 2 or 3 (me and my sister; XMAS!) and recommending it broadly. (Why settle for 6" when you can get triple the screen area?) A lot of what makes the 360 so much fun to own and use would only be magnified on a 10in screen. (For starters PDFs might actually be useful on it.) Plus, unless I miss my guess, the 901 is looking to use the next gen screen with the higher contrast, right? There was mention of a plastic substrate, too.
Those are not low-end features.

Oh, and the color buttons?
I think my mother might actually find them a plus; easier to remember what does what.
A lot of new audio-video gear is starting to use color as a way to improve control system accessibility even on high-end gear. (My Sharp TV remote has Red-Green-Blue-yellow buttons, as does my OPPO BD player. Ditto with my XBOX.)
The PB guys may actually be ahead of the curve there.

I see nothing bad in that video and plenty of good.
Just wish we were talking August/September for the US and not later in the year.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
The 901 will be available earlier in Europe than in the States, we are talking July/August here.
mtravellerh - we envy you get it earlier, but this reader is definitely worth waiting for it.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Seems that no one caught this, but, we clearly saw a calculator on the screen, how can we will able to use it without touchscreen and button with such a disposition??? That's clearly awfull. I can't think a big screen without touchscreen beeing usable
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
901, 902, 910

What are the near term product plans for this family of devices?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Seems that no one caught this, but, we clearly saw a calculator on the screen, how can we will able to use it without touchscreen and button with such a disposition??? That's clearly awfull. I can't think a big screen without touchscreen beeing usable
I admit that's my grandest objection. I would only be able to "read" things on the device, not to operate with them. A bunch of buttons is useless when it comes to interacting with texts seriously. And with no USB host you can't plug a keyboard either...
Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I admit that's my grandest objection. I would only be able to "read" things on the device, not to operate with them. A bunch of buttons is useless when it comes to interacting with texts seriously. And with no USB host you can't plug a keyboard either...
Uh, last I heard there are plans for a 903 with all the bells and whistles including touchscreen. It's a series of readers that run off similar hardware and common software. Want pen annotation and usb keyboard support? Look to the 902/903/whatever. Those will no question be premium readers at premium prices.

Me, I'm a big fan of the 5-way controller in the 360 but I have to admit it is not indispensable for reading. I *wish* the 901 had one but I don't think it'll be a showstopper for the use I have in mind. And faced with the choice of a 903 or a 901 I think the 901 is a better fit for that use. Others will surely prefer the 903; hence both models are coming.

In other words: its not a bug, its a feature!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Logseman
Orisa

Don't get me wrong: if I have to buy one, it'll be probably the 901. My budget leaves me no more alternatives
Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
umm yeah my 5 year old figured out on his own, in like half a minute, how to use the calculator in my 360 and 301 with out any extra buttons but the 5 way.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote