Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Huge exploit found in 2.7

Ok, I have downloaded the 2.7. Awesome pdf thing, it remembers the zoom between pages, and this is already better than standard xpdf, nice icons, blah blah blah. Ah and yes, I got to execute a ls > /opt/content/books/a.txt command. But on the other hand the remote Xserver approach seems promising. So what do I do? Wait for a crack via Xserver to be done? Do I explain how I did the ls so you people can try to run shell scripts via similar methods, risking to be patched in the security fix? Personally I think that any Xserver exploit will be patched in the future, because it is a real internet security issue.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Do I explain how I did the ls so you people can try to run shell scripts via similar methods, risking to be patched in the security fix? Personally I think that any Xserver exploit will be patched in the future, because it is a real internet security issue.
Up to you whether you think its better to have an unsecured Illiad and to be the only one with this knowledge, or to help the Illiad progress. Congratulations, btw...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Up to you whether you think its better to have an unsecured Illiad and to be the only one with this knowledge, or to help the Illiad progress. Congratulations, btw...
I could ask for a NDA agreement
Old 10-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Ok, I have downloaded the 2.7. Awesome pdf thing, it remembers the zoom between pages, and this is already better than standard xpdf, nice icons, blah blah blah. Ah and yes, I got to execute a ls > /opt/content/books/a.txt command. But on the other hand the remote Xserver approach seems promising. So what do I do? Wait for a crack via Xserver to be done? Do I explain how I did the ls so you people can try to run shell scripts via similar methods, risking to be patched in the security fix? Personally I think that any Xserver exploit will be patched in the future, because it is a real internet security issue.
Perhaps you could use it to help us finish the Xserver exploit. Then make it public when Irex patches that in 2.8...
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
arivero
Guru

Ok I will release it, on second inspection it is so simple that there is no issue.

I backquoted the password in the WEP configuration.

this is, I created a new wireless wep connection (wizard, anyname, Proceed, Wireless, anyssid, proceed, WEP, proceed) and in the wep security key field I used:

Quote:
`ls > /opt/content/books/a.txt`
I pressed TEST (no proceed anymore).

And yep, it escaped.

I think iRex does not really need to patch this one. It is not a security hole, as the ssh was. Nor a Cuartango trick, as the pdf could be. Here the Owner of the machine must know exactly what he is doing, no argue about being tricked to do it (except if you have got a devilish system admistrator telling you that THAT is the password for your local wlan!).

Besides, you need to retort the trick in order to use it to "open the internet", because most probably this escape is executed at the level of the networking scripts, and man you do not want to call the networking script from the networking script.

Last edited by arivero; 10-19-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Advert
Old 10-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Ok I will release it, on second inspection it is so simple that there is no issue.

I backquoted the password in the WEP configuration.

this is, I created a new wireless wep connection (wizard, anyname, Proceed, Wireless, anyssid, proceed, WEP, proceed) and in the wep security key field I used:

I pressed TEST (no proceed anymore).

And yep, it escaped.

I think iRex does not really need to patch this one. It is not a security hole, as the ssh was. Nor a Cuartango trick, as the pdf could be. Here the Owner of the machine must know exactly what he is doing, no argue about being tricked to do it (except if you have got a devilish system admistrator telling you that THAT is the password for your local wlan!).

Besides, you need to retort the trick in order to use it to "open the internet", because most probably this escape is executed at the level of the networking scripts, and man you do not want to call the networking script from the networking script.
neat. Congratulations on thinking of this one.
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by design256
neat. Congratulations on thinking of this one.
A pleasure. Please remember this trick is under the 75 Euros caveat
Old 10-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Now that's a nice hole!

So who hasn't done this yet?

cp /etc/passwd /opt/content/books/passwd
<edit passwd>
cp /opt/content/books/passwd /etc/passwd
cp /opt/content/books/bugbear /usr/sbin
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Hmmm perhaps update the irex.crt to make iDS proxy very simple again?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
Mike Kostousov
Connoisseur
Mike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-books

Device: Zaurus C1000/iLiad/SE K750i
Wau!!!! It is amazing! So big hole!

Code:
`/bin/bash /opt/books/what-ever-you-want.sh`
Mike Kostousov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Mike Kostousov
Connoisseur
Mike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-books

sorry. There is no bash. Just sh
Old 10-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
Mike Kostousov
Connoisseur

uupi!!! It works!
Code:
`/bin/sh /opt/content/books/a.sh`
There is "a.sh"
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/bin/ps aux > /opt/content/books/ps-aux-out.txt
/bin/uname -a > /opt/content/books/uname-a.txt
/bin/cat /proc/cpuinfo > /opt/content/books/cpuinfo.txt
/bin/mount > /opt/content/books/mount.txt
/bin/dmesg > /opt/content/books/dmesg.txt
/bin/ls /boot > /opt/content/books/ls-boot.txt
But, if you want to try by yourself, you are doing it by you own risk! Be careful!

It is really big hole. Now, I will try to compile somthing for iLiad (my be cross-compiler for zaurus will succseed). BTW, I think, it is the most careful way is to mount MMC with ext2, and try to do everything there..
Attached Files
File Type: txt cpuinfo.txt (510 Bytes, 462 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (7.1 KB, 514 views)
File Type: txt mount.txt (437 Bytes, 450 views)
File Type: txt ps-aux-out.txt (2.1 KB, 437 views)
File Type: txt uname-a.txt (90 Bytes, 464 views)
Old 10-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
Mike Kostousov
Connoisseur

Wau! I have first my own program running on iLiad!!!!! he-he-he!!!! I am spammer today!
Usual Zaurus cross-platform sdk (gcc2.95) works well.

hello_iliad.c

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc,char **argv)
{
	printf("Hello, my iLiad");

}
b.sh

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/bin/cp /opt/content/books/hello_iliad /tmp
/bin/chmod a+x /tmp/hello_iliad
/tmp/hello_iliad > /opt/content/books/hello_from_iliad.txt
Attached Files
File Type: tar hello_iliad.tar (20.0 KB, 403 views)
Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 AM   #14
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Oh! I'm happy. I'll be upgrading to 2.7 today, then :-).

What's next in my todo list queue: investigate the pageBar protocol and doing a simple viewer using SDL... Now that we can test it :-)~~~! Yipieee!!!

Thanks arivero :-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:40 AM   #15
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Has anyone tried a java --version command yet?
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote